(finally) Pulling the trigger - Magirus 170D11

DarkBladeRunner

Parts started coming in. 395/85r20 tyres. Mass Combi inverter charger, intercom system, noico soundproofing material, etc etc. The great thaw has started here so maybe I can do some more work on the truck soon.

Revised my plans again because the bids for the pop up came in ridiculously high! Will post plans once I’m satisfied with them.
505531 505534 505533

Looking for an under bench AC system like the Truma Saphir. Any leads on a North American model available? Good sites for marine and rv discount parts? Such as folding sinks, hatches, etc?

DarkBladeRunner

Rough plans of the roof moto adaptor platform that will let me mount a cabover sleeper module and some reference photos of the exact same model truck with the same kind of cabover sleeper.

Attachments

• 9493D311-9E59-4C1D-8A8E-E4C07C4D805F.jpeg
    9493D311-9E59-4C1D-8A8E-E4C07C4D805F.jpeg
    304.1 KB · Views: 48
  • BCF793A7-D06E-4070-8C27-24F6404AE47A.jpeg
    BCF793A7-D06E-4070-8C27-24F6404AE47A.jpeg
    585.3 KB · Views: 50
  • CBAF0032-F851-4E3E-8DBC-919E650EF9D8.jpeg
    CBAF0032-F851-4E3E-8DBC-919E650EF9D8.jpeg
    577.7 KB · Views: 50
  • 9A34C679-AE09-47B6-BFFC-8EDB26C8A1B4.jpeg
    9A34C679-AE09-47B6-BFFC-8EDB26C8A1B4.jpeg
    251.1 KB · Views: 47

mog

Kodiak Buckaroo
I might be off on the measurements, but it looks like you might end up 14 feet tall (430cm) ??

Both the US and Canada are limited to 13'6" in general, and this is HIGHWAYS, not secondary roads, etc. And certainly not off-road.
US
CANADA
So are you limiting yourself to just major highways?

Also, something to consider is just static wind. Bill Caid in his 1017 with a Hi-Low camper has told me more than once he has had to get up in the middle of the night during high winds to reposition his truck into the wind, due to crazy buffeting.
Bill's truck at max height

DarkBladeRunner

Excellent points. I have been considering them too. I just have not updated my model yet. Good catch though and not far from my estimated dimensions on the mode I posted! I’m hoping to keep it under 13 feet. I’m shopping for a low snowmobile trailer right now actually.

If I go with a custom enclosure I’ll go lower and have a hinged pop up roof for when I want to stand or sit. I am approx. 2.35m 3.35m tall right now. Will measure with the new tyres as I don’t know if they will compress more or less than the continental tyre I have mounted at the moment.

As for wind... the truck is 7.5 tons right now. I doubt an extra 3-4 feet will make a huge difference but it should be taken into account.

My truck is still at the shop waiting to have the new tyres mounted... can’t wait to see it with the big treads!

And his name is Clifford (The Big Red Truck)! Kids and wife like it so it sticks.

Last edited:

DarkBladeRunner

Help! Please!

Ugh, another roadblock. I called the shop to see what was going on with Clifford. They (finally) brought Cliffy in from the cold and removed 1 tyre to begin mounting. Their split rim guy is out for now and they stopped working...

Because right now I have 11-20 wheels on the truck. Goodyear 395/85r20 MVT specs say it is approved as an optional wheel for this tyre. Perfect. It fits. That's what the brochure says. But the flange size is not the same. The shop says it looks like the flange is much smaller than the military wheel one of the tyres is mounted on. They'll wait for their split rim guy to come in.

So my question is: knowing that I currently have Continental 335/80r20 MPT81 tyres mounted with tubes on 11-20 wheels, can I mount the Goodyear 395/85r20 MVT tyres with 14.00r20 tubes on the same wheels or am I going the be ******** out of luck trying to procure 8 hole, 120mm offset 10-20 or 11-20 wheels with the right flange design and bolt size/pattern?

I need Cliffy back at home to hide the dumpy neighbours' house soon! (my house is for sale and I strategically position Cliffy so visitors can't see the crappy neighbours)

And last item in my rant: why is it never simple?

mog

Kodiak Buckaroo
am I going the be **** out of luck trying to procure 8 hole, 120mm offset 10-20 or 11-20 wheels with the right flange design and bolt size/pattern?

If you end up needing wheels it sounds like Jonturgeon has a good source in Europe. His truck is an MB, and he wanted 22.5s. but it sounds like they can build to any spec?

DarkBladeRunner

OK! Good news!

I found a guy in wisconsin willing to make some wheels based on MRAPS and I found a company in Edmonton willing to make some adapter plates for MRAPs.

Any information on the MRAPs? Should I avoid them? I'm thinking of getting the aluminium ones. Worth it?

mog

Kodiak Buckaroo
OK! Good news!

I found a guy in Wisconsin willing to make some wheels based on MRAPS and I found a company in Edmonton willing to make some adapter plates for MRAPs.
Any information on the MRAPs? Should I avoid them? I'm thinking of getting the aluminum ones. Worth it?

Do not get the steel rim. They are over 100 pounds (45kg) each and have a 50-50 offset (backspacing).
I don't know how your adapters will be made, but I don't think the rims with built-in regulators will work if you want to flip them to change the offset from front to rear.
With an adapter, you might be able to get the ones with the lips to be flip-able? That might take some pre-planning.
The Atlas rims (2530-01-479-2916) are the best/easiest, but it is pretty much like looking for 3 legged unicorns.

Some of the 'large' US military truck use 8-hole rims. Steel Soldier is a good resource for that info.

Also useful information in the thread on the Portal https://expeditionportal.com/forum/...t-dual-tires-to-singels-on-a-mb-lorry.151072/

DarkBladeRunner

I just got off the phone with the Edmonton company. They say they adaptor plates allow you to mount the aluminium wheels in reverse for rear dually axels converted to super singles as there is a notch for the CTIS nub.

As for the atlas rims... where do I get them? :D

DarkBladeRunner

Found these wheels locally. Seller doesn't know what they are. Might be able to get for 100-150$ CAD each. Any idea what they are? Mounted with 14.00r20 right now. Should be the same flange right?

I know that they are from a MAN KAT. are these 335mm bolt circle wheels? Same as MRAP? I think the Adapter plates would work in that case...

Last edited:

DarkBladeRunner

Update: Just ordered some wheels. It appears as though there are a few US army vehicles that use the same bolt pattern and hub bore as Magirus and Iveco trucks, which are shared with Topkick and Kodiak trucks. Seems it also fits Mercedes and DAF trucks.

DiploStrat

Expedition Leader
I have a set of those wheels. Hope you have better luck than I did.

Basically, they are way too heavy and suffer from lateral and radial runout.

After exhausting options in the US, I ordered a set of wheels from Expeditions-LKW-DE in Germany. This is the same company used by several folks on this forum.

DarkBladeRunner

I have a set of those wheels. Hope you have better luck than I did.

Basically, they are way too heavy and suffer from lateral and radial runout.

After exhausting options in the US, I ordered a set of wheels from Expeditions-LKW-DE in Germany. This is the same company used by several folks on this forum.

Were you using balancing beads or powder? Also, did you try having them balanced? I found a truck shop willing to try up here.

DiploStrat

Expedition Leader
Were you using balancing beads or powder? Also, did you try having them balanced? I found a truck shop willing to try up here.

Balanced on a heavy truck balancer, twice. The first time they balanced at about 20-30 oz. per wheel. That worked, more or less. Well enough for a couple of months in the Maritimes. When I got back, I rotated the tires due to the odd wear.

At this point, putting the spare on the road, the balance went out the window. Put the wheels back on the machine and did two balances, with and without load. Basically:

-- The "secret" had been test mounting each wheel to each position and cherry picking the best. Obviously, rotating threw this out.
-- The spare was only usable as a spare.
-- Even "perfectly" balanced, some runout, mostly radial, was still noticeable.

The problem is not the machine, but rather the fact that these wheels are intended for use on an armored vehicle that is very heavy and does not really exceed 60 kph.

Hopefully, you will have better luck than me. I am posting this because one of my wheels has exactly the same valve stem protector as you show in your picture.

Good luck!

DarkBladeRunner

********. Eastern Surplus was selling these as Kodiak/Topkick wheels. I took the time to call, confirm dimensions, bolt pattern, hub bore, etc. Doesn’t say SUPER HEAVY... but I believe you. My current wheels are about 120-140lbs each, hopefully these are about the same.

A buddy runs these wheels on his DAF up to 110 km/h507397

Star 266 wheels

I’ll keep ou posted.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JCCB1998