finding montero for dad

offroad plumber

Hello all,

I am new to this forum but not to montero's. I have always owned jeep's of some form or another. 5 of which were wranglers. When my wife was pregnant with our third kid I traded my last wrangler in on a 2000 Montero with the winter package and no locker. I had originally been on the hunt for an FJ80 or FZJ80 but couldn't find one in my price range. I did some research on the net and ended up interested enough to check out montero's which I was not familiar with. I was able to find one of those purely by chance and brought it home the next day after test driving it. It had 122,000 miles on it at the time. I was unsure about it offroad for a while having been used to wrangler TJ's as my previous two vehicles. That went away pretty quickly after tooling around the desert with it a couple of times. It didn't take long for it to become my favorite vehicle that I've ever owned. Years later with 180,000 miles on the odometer and no major repairs I was very happy with the truck except for the lack of a rear locker. As luck would have it my wife was looking on craigslist and found a 1996 SR with only 98,000 miles for $4,300 and that afternoon it was mine. I parted with my 2000 gen 2.5 for $3,500 effectively getting a montero with half the miles and a locker for only $800 bucks more. My 1996 is very clean and drives and rides very tight. I threw on some 33" BFG's and called it a day. For now.
The thing is I have a work van and only drive my montero on weekends. I have owned the truck for a little over a year now and only put 4,000 miles on it since purchasing it. I have taken it to Wyoming a couple of times and Moab once. So far, so good. I put a cheapie roof basket on it which has held up fine so far. It is a Kurt brand from cabella's. I use the basket when loading our family of 6 in the truck. I have carried coolers and such up there with no complaint from the rack.
I now have an itch for longer trips and really want to bring my dad along for the experience. He wants to buy a vehicle to bring along which I would like for him to do as well. He doesn't need the people carrying capacity that I do but likes the Montero idea. He would have to drive up to Colorado from Texas just to meet up with me so he needs a comfortable truck and more importantly a reliable truck. I believe his budget to be $5,000 to $6,000 max. I have also suggested troopers as an alternative to the Montero but we both like the monty more. He would also need to be able to depend on this vehicle as a daily driver. My mom uses a wheel chair so they would need to be able to cart that around from time to time. I kind of think a gen 3 would suit him nicely but have no experience with them. We are not looking to do any real rock crawling like in a wrangler but more of extended back country trips.
Do any of you have ideas or do you know of good trucks for sale? I really love my Montero and so does he. A sport may be considered too but not as highly. He is open to most makes and models but in general keeps coming back to the montero's. Any advise is welcome.

Last edited:

rock_shoes

Observer
If you can snap up something similar to your current 1996 Montero I suspect it will suit your dad's needs. I don't have much experience with the gas engines since my truck is a JDM import. Everyone I've talked to seems to regard either
the 3.5 or 3.8 gasser as reliable with reasonable power output.

Does your dad have any specific needs you feel might make a different truck a better fit for him?

Sent from my SM-G900W8 using Tapatalk

offroad plumber

I have found my gas powered Montero's to be reliable. Based on my experience he would be happy with one as well. One thing for him to consider is that he currently has a 2000 toyota tacoma prerunner which is 2wd but on a 4wd chassis. Basically it is sitting on a 4wd suspension but doesnt have the transfer case or front axle but does have a rear e-locker. He is comfortable with this truck's reliability and history. I kind of think he could convert it into 4wd and be happy with that but have no idea of the cost or difficulty involved. All Pro offroad solid axle conversion?
Another question for anyone experienced with the 3rd Gen is what is better the LSD or traction control version? The 3rd Gen Montero looks like it would be very comfortable as well as reliable and capable. I would like to find another deal like I found on my Montero for him. Something already set up would be welcome too. It just has to be reliable.
My brother-in-law has a 2001 Montero sport with like 40,000+ miles on it. I haven't seen it personally but my dad likes the way it looks too. How are these as expedition vehicles? They are smaller but do they have a similar build quality as the full size montero? How is the running gear compared to the full size?

jlocster

Explorer
I'd say get him a Gen 3. Much more comfortable road manners than a Gen 2, with a more modern interior, yet still plenty capable off road. The LSD is far less complicated than the later traction control system, and still works good. In my mind simpler is better when it comes to electronics in used cars, so I vote for an early Gen 3.

Sport vs full size Montero? I'd say full size. Unless your dad just prefers to drive a smaller vehicle, there is no real advantage. Gas mileage is very similar in both vehicles. Again, the full size will have better road manners as the Sport is body on frame.

Trooper vs Montero? Troopers have two big Achilles heels. First, the 4L30 auto transmission is under spec-ed for the weight of the vehicle and is a sealed unit...no dip stick. It's a huge failure point (manual trans solves this problem, but they are exceedingly rare). The other issue is oil control. The pistons have a design flaw which causes them to burn quite a bit of oil. It can be remedied by drilling extra holes in the pistons...but that's a headache.
Monteros don't really have any unresolved mechanical issues.

Good luck.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Smudge12