Fire Extinguisher

mjohns2

Observer
What if a small amber lands somewhere and starts a fire. This is something that has always been in the back of my mind when I go camping. I like to believe, we carry enough water and a means to put out a small fire. But in the back of my mind I keep thinking, I wish I had a fire extinguisher here.

So today I went to go buy one and I was 100% completely confused on what I should get.

I initially thought I needed a DOT approved extinguisher, but when I read the label it appeared that it wouldn't help me in the above senerio.

What fire extinguisher/s are you carrying and why?

Edit: What the research I've done today, I leaning towards a Kidde FA110 Multi Purpose Fire Extinguisher 1A10BC
MJ

MANUCHAO

Aventurero
I carry this one
http://www.amazon.com/ANSUL-FIRE-EXTINGUISHERS-5Lb-Bracket/dp/B005YT25DW/ref=sr_1_2?s=hi&ie=UTF8&qid=1400644621&sr=1-2&keywords=sentry+fire+extinguisher+5lb
412FpdiAsFL._SX425_.jpg

I want this one....

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B003TPHG5U/ref=wl_it_dp_o_pC_S_ttl?_encoding=UTF8&colid=3JZ7EBYAUIJQX&coliid=I2YWJFJNF76BYU
41eJXaQSe8L.jpg

Also, I learned that Fire extinguishers with a plastic nozzle cant not or should not be serviced after they have been used or expired...
These also need to be serviced every year and emptied and refill every two years for them to be 100% effective during an emergency.

Last edited:

peneumbra

Explorer
For ground fires: Carry a shovel. If you really want to be equipped, add a Pulaski. Use fire extinguishers for flammable liquids, etc.

mikelite80

Adventurer
Get a refillable water extinguisher.

I'm with him. When space is available I carry one of these. They are pretty useful. It's an extra 2.5 gallons of water that can be refilled at any point. We've used it to wash off the dogs, clean off lake water off people and gear, some people mod them to use as showers. It's also a easy way to move water and fill other items like a radiator. No holding up a 5 gallon can trying to hold it and aim at the same time. To recharge on the road you'll need some form of compressed air from a compressor or CO2, but it doesn't take much.

In the car I always have a small one time use dry chem, just in case there is some sort of engine fire. That's the OH *******!!! extinguisher. Never used the one in my 4Runner, but the one from my work truck has been used a few times.

I also of course carry a shovel.

Last edited:
Thanks , no water for me.
the so called ABC powder extinguishers have an equivalent printed on them indicating how much water they replace.
example:
2kg( 4.4lbs) of powder against wood equals 13 kg (3.5 gal) of water, 2kg (4.4lbs) of powder against petrol equals 89kg of water(thats about 23 gal of water!)

Do really want to lug around 23 gal of water???

If you drop the a spark at the right place (dry grass) your shovel is absolutely useless against a 360° extremely quick spreading fire
So I carry two 2kg fire extinguishers- not for the vehicle- since it is very unlikely as a diesel to have a fire started.
But next to the camp site at places where I can access them extremely quickly when needed. An extinguisher brurried and tightened in the back is a waste of time. Every second counts to suppress a starting fire. There will be no "Oh, Mama mia moment" to choose which extinguisher you will use...

Last edited:

mikelite80

Adventurer
You never want to use water on a chemical or electrical fire.

Unless your diesel uses no electricity or oil, I promise you it can still catch fire.

MANUCHAO

Aventurero
A good practice is to learn how to use a fire extinguisher..
Every two years when it is time to empty it.
We set a controlled fire on a small steel drum and get to dowse the fire down...
Following up on the original post (OP.)
It is always good practice to carry a fire extinguisher not just for possible fires while camping, but to help put a fire (electrical, flammables, or ordinary combustibles) if the need were to arise.....
That's why I carry one...
I hope never to use it, but it's there for the "oh, ****" scenario.

The halguard extinguisher is something I like to have.
Just cause I think a regular fire extinguisher would do as much damage as a fire if one was to ignite....

Besides having easy and quick access to it always make sure the safety pin is in and secure and away from small children...
I had a fire extinguisher fall on its side were the pin was missing, and boy, talk about a mess...

Last edited:

peneumbra

Explorer
If you happen to drop a spark into dry brush almost anywhere in the West, and the wind is blowing like it does these days (42 kts today in FLG), neither a shovel nor an extinguisher will do you much good. You'll need a helo with a Bambi Bucket. BUT - you can dink a line around a ground fire with hand tools under less extreme conditions, and the tools will last a lot longer than the stuff in the extinguisher.

And now for a "lack of resources" moment:

I was once returning an out-of-service engine to the repair yard, and came across a car fire. I had water on board, and hose, but the hose nozzles had already been removed. So there I was, trying to extinguish the fire by putting my thumb over the raw hose end. Which, frankly, didn't do much good and looked kinda stoopid...

Lemsteraak

Adventurer
If you are car camping, I like to have a bug sprayer at hand. It is good for washing and fire control. If you start getting embers in the air, cool the fire with a fine spray. It is steam that you want to displace air so it doesn't take much water. If an ember does catch, you can douse it with a mist too. If it is so dry that you are concerned about fire then use a small stove. I like fire extinguishers for liquid fuel fires where water just makes it worse.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Crom

Expo this, expo that, exp
I carry a 10-lb. extinguisher in the back of the Tacoma 24/7/365. Easy access too. Drop the tailgate and unclasp and go!

As for the floating ember thing, I've been on backpack trips where I thought I was going to have a heart attack due to floating embers around a campfire in wilderness areas. Fortunately it worked out in our favor. Fires can get out of control very quickly when strong winds arrive, especially in the desert.

Theprofessional

Silent Footfalls
I keep a small fire extinguisher in the Subaru. Small, light, fits under the passenger seat, powder.

Will it put out a forest fire? No. Will it be a best effort? yup.

When I purchased my wagon, it was smoking more than I do, so I grabbed an extinguisher juuuuuuust in case. After fixing the problem there, I kept it in the vehicle for camping.

D45

Explorer
I want to/need to add a decent sized fire extinguisher inside the bed area of my truck

I am HIGHLY concerned though with temperature fluctuations and extreme cold/warm temps...........is this an issue or no?

Dazrin

Adventurer
In response to a couple comments saying just carry a shovel or fillable water extinguisher, in some areas (Oregon at a minimum) it is required for off-road vehicles to carry a dry chemical fire extinguisher. You need to know the local laws. (It is still a very good idea to carry the shovel and water of course.)

Oregon DMV Division 16, Standards for Off-Road Vehicles:
(c) Fire Extinguisher. All vehicles, except motorcycles and multi-wheeled motorized vehicles, must be equipped with a functional dry chemical type fire extinguisher of at least two pounds capacity that is approved by the Underwriters Laboratories or other acceptable testing agency;

As stated, motorcycles and multi-wheeled motorized vehicles (basically quads/three-wheelers) are exempt, they realize there isn't space I assume. Most expo type rigs would need the extinguisher.

precision powder

Backwoods Explorer
I keep one in the back of the jeep at ALL times. No matter where I go it is there, I put it where I did for it to be out of the way but quick to access by myself or anyone that may be with me that needs it.

10363371_10152904606524879_8627211829167062262_n.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mitch Bears