Fire Pans, NO MORE RINGS!

dumolebob

Observer
I am done using fire rings. We have all abused these things past the point of reason so I am determined to start carrying a fire pan AND destroying all fire rings everywhere I camp! That’s going to be “my mission”!

We were just in S. Utah and some dispersed camping areas had ten or more fire rings. Why…? Who knows!

So, I’m thinking of just cutting the bottom off a 55 gal drum and welding on some legs. Any suggestions as to cheap, useable fire pans will be most appreciated – even using garbage can lids! What else???
:wings::smiley_drive::bike_rider:

scarysharkface

Explorer
While I don't have a good picture of it, one of the gang from my Terlingua New Year's adventure had welded legs on a truck rim, and welded-up the holes. It sat a foot or so off the ground and was fantastic, albeit a tad overbuilt perhaps.

758099777_bFn5N-XL.jpg

John

cruiseroutfit

Supporting Sponsor: Cruiser Outfitters
If its not illegal to have fire rings, then don't take matters into your own hands and go destroying/removing them. I more than agree that some areas have far too many fire rings, but that's why its the Wild West here in Utah... we can. Cookie cutter camp spots, picnic tables and tin-can tourists need not apply.

If you fear an area has too many fire pits, contact the local land manager be it BLM, FS or NPS, they will gladly ask for your help if they think an area needs dispersed site control. If its really that bad, condense 4-5 fire pits into a single one, but don't assume they need to be eliminated altogether.

Sorry, I've gotta ask since you don't list a location. Where about are you from?

See, Utah truly is different, we still have giant acreages of federal land that are open to cross-country travel, bon-fires, shooting, bombing, hunting, fishing and general desert debaucheries. It honestly scares travelers from out of state and sometimes they think they need to help reign us in... but that's not the case. Utah's citizens have been recreating since covered wagons and feet were the primary sources of travel, I think we've got it under control ;)

crusader

Adventurer
Maybe it's just me, but I don't have the spare room or the spare load capacity to haul around half a 55 gallon drum, a washing machine tub or a truck rim. I already think I travel too heavy, what with all the tools and spare parts I have to carry... :)

DaveM

Explorer
I've thought about this a bit as well and if I can come up with an inexpensive and light pan to take along I might. But I will still use (and improve) rings where they already exist. I prefer stone rings for camp cooking and sitting around the fire, and if it's a properly built ring in dispersed camping areas you really have no right or authority to remove it.

I applaud your change in use and going up a level in camp conservation but the tactic of destroying what others legally and rightly create for their own camp experience is a bit heavy handed in my opinion.

pb_beaker

Observer
I've thought about this a bit as well and if I can come up with an inexpensive and light pan to take along I might. But I will still use (and improve) rings where they already exist. I prefer stone rings for camp cooking and sitting around the fire, and if it's a properly built ring in dispersed camping areas you really have no right or authority to remove it.

I applaud your change in use and going up a level in camp conservation but the tactic of destroying what others legally and rightly create for their own camp experience is a bit heavy handed in my opinion.

x2 :victory:

Terawanderer

Adventurer
So what is so wrong with a fire ring?????????? A few of them don't destroy the area and they prevent wildfires by containing a campfire.......when there is a brush fire bulldozers destroy a lot of land....and that seems to be OK.....educate me if you can. Also Indians seemed to use them very effectively without destroying anything.

BigDaveZJ

Adventurer
If its not illegal to have fire rings, then don't take matters into your own hands and go destroying/removing them. I more than agree that some areas have far too many fire rings, but that's why its the Wild West here in Utah... we can. Cookie cutter camp spots, picnic tables and tin-can tourists need not apply.

If you fear an area has too many fire pits, contact the local land manager be it BLM, FS or NPS, they will gladly ask for your help if they think an area needs dispersed site control. If its really that bad, condense 4-5 fire pits into a single one, but don't assume they need to be eliminated altogether.

Sorry, I've gotta ask since you don't list a location. Where about are you from?

See, Utah truly is different, we still have giant acreages of federal land that are open to cross-country travel, bon-fires, shooting, bombing, hunting, fishing and general desert debaucheries. It honestly scares travelers from out of state and sometimes they think they need to help reign us in... but that's not the case. Utah's citizens have been recreating since covered wagons and feet were the primary sources of travel, I think we've got it under control ;)

x2

In many areas of CO your campfire has to be in an existing fire ring. Kinda hard to have an existing fire ring if someone destroys them all.

Dave Bennett

Adventurist

:coffeedrink:

dumolebob

Observer
Wyoming is my home!

I'm from Wyoming:wings: Up near Yellowstone. The county I live in has only 3% privately owned land. The rest is Fed or state! So you see I too KNOW the west!

We spend a lot of time around Moab, San Rafael and Escelante - and love it especially during our "mud season". Last week near Moab I saw fire rings - within ren feet of each other. I mean three or four THAT close. Now what reason could there possible be to build a new fire ring within a few feet of one that existed there when you arrived.

I'd love to call the BLM in Moab and then they could help me remove the rings! Yea, in a few years! LOL!!!

I think what must happen is folks arrive and order their kids to each build a new fire ring while mom and dad sets camp.

I really enjoy Utah, and see why you love it too, but you might try Wyoming to what wide open spaces is all about!

dumolebob

Observer
Not HALF of a 55 gal drum :Wow1: - just the bottom and up five or six inches on the sides!

Maybe it's just me, but I don't have the spare room or the spare load capacity to haul around half a 55 gallon drum, a washing machine tub or a truck rim. I already think I travel too heavy, what with all the tools and spare parts I have to carry... :)

cruiseroutfit

Supporting Sponsor: Cruiser Outfitters
...I really enjoy Utah, and see why you love it too, but you might try Wyoming to what wide open spaces is all about!

Been camping in Wyoming since I was a small lad (lived in Green River during my youngest years), beautiful state with plentiful recreation opportunities (plus some wild little bars in places like Atlantic City, I learned about gold mines, Russian helicopters and anti-aircraft weapons from the eccentric and lively locals ;) I must admit you got me, I had you pegged as a New Yorker* :victory:

Again, if you think its out of control, combine a few smaller fire rings into a bigger one, but don't eliminate them. If the BLM (70% of Utah and likely the majority of the areas you were in) didn't want them, they would post signs, put in permanent fire-rings or mandate the use of fire pans such as the restrictions in Canyonlands, etc.

*I say this in complete jest but during my travels through Utah with people from all over the US (and world), it is very interesting to see the response and reaction from some. I grew up camping, hunting, fishing and generally wandering on our states wide open nothings... so to me it would be equally as shocking to go back east where the notion of public land is unheard of.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Deleman