Fireroad exploring vehicle ?

phsycle

Adventurer
I’d throw my money at a 1/2 extended cab truck with the size of family and expectations, but you/he didn’t want full size.

My vote would be a Honda pilot. Now that the new generation looks more similar to the first Gen. Awd, and the cargo space available. It is larger and similar to the Ascent but again full-size.

Comfort In The back seat in the next few years will be a welcome addition.
I like the Pilots, especially the redesign. I like it’s got a real transmission as well.

Added to the list.

phsycle

Adventurer
If he’s OK with that size the Mazda Cx50 might also work.
CX50 is interesting. I think a bit smaller than the Outback. But may be worth a look.

I’ll say then put on my fire suit. VW Atlas. I have leased 2 and they are super great city cars, tons of family space. And a few forums I’m in I’ve seen some other owners do some pretty stupid/impossible/crazy roads that I’d never try. This Is often on stock factory tires etc. That AWD is pretty good. I know in snow it’s like a tank. And it’s huge inside and parks like a minivan at the mall. And if he goes a bit crazy there are lifts/suspension and tire combos out there for them to make them even more capable. But from your description, stock (maybe AT tire swap) is prob just fine for now.
Atlas is an interesting choice as well. VW knows AWD so I’m sure the system is good. I know there are some pretty nice Toureg’s rolling around here.

Alloy

I see Subaru being mentioned. We had one and wouldn't get another.
- it was great for 1-2 people but that was it off road.
- payload was only 800lbs. A tank of gas, 2 people, a bike rack and 2 bikes and that's it. The rear end dropped 2" with the bike rack and bikes.
- departure angle wasn't any good. The ground clearance is front to back vs. other vehicles the ground clearance is under the axles then it increases for the rest of the under body
- there's a very small selection of aftermarket replacement parts.
- brake rotors were garbage. Made from recycled steel which has less carbon. The rotors would rust making for hot spots/pulsing at 20,000 miles
- we sold it (just before the $1000.00 #3 Service) when people were selling used vehicles for new prices. We got $6,500 less than we bought it for.
- it had 3 recalls in 2 years which after owning 2-CRVs and a Odyssey we weren't use to.

We replaced the Subaru with a Tacoma but the back seats are too small for a family.

A friend of mine with 3 kids just bought a 4runner. His dad has a 2007 4Runner. Last time I asked it had 210,000 miles on it. He's done nothing to it other than 2 recalls.

How about a Bronco?

ducktapeguy

Adventurer
A Subaru would fit most of those requirements if he's willing to leave one of the kids at home, otherwise it's too small. With 2 out of the 3 kids in car seats a 3rd row is almost a necessity, and if you want any cargo capacity for camping you'd need something larger than a standard SUV. I think even a Pilot or Highlander would be a little cramped with 3 kids, a Sequoia or Suburban would be much more comfortable

An AWD sienna with some added airbags on the rear would probably be the most practical solution

Last edited:

Outdoorsben

Observer
Personally, I wouldn't go Subaru anymore. I want nothing to do with a CVT. I loved my Subaru's back in the day before they went CVT but they are dead to me since then. 4Runner is the best choice IMHO. Mileage is going to be not great but it'll be the most reliable option and you can get a 3rd row option if you want in SR5 and Limited. Plenty of space as well. Maybe the Ridgeline would fit 3 in the back and you'd have plenty of space in the bed for stuff. If you go Ridgeline then 2021+ is the only option with the 9speed.

Rovertrader

Supporting Sponsor
I’ve had a few Subies, very nice/good vehicles but not for family of 5!! We Also tried an Atlas, 2” lift, fantastic vehicle!! Definitely better for 5…
In the end, the Atlas would work for likely 10 years. Then room for 5 adult sized folks may require Expedition/F-150 CC…

phsycle

Adventurer
I think they’re leaning towards a Passport. It’s got the width of a Pilot, just no 3rd row.
I think it’ll make a great daily driver and part time family trip machine. And has some rugged features for the dirt road trips.

But I’m encouraging them to test the Pilot and the Atlas as well.

jkam

nomadic man
For comfort and room with a family, the Honda Pilot would be a contender for me.
Maybe one of the new Jeep Wagoneers.

calicamper

Expedition Leader
I ran Subarus till 2019. I have two kids we got too heavy for the OB with gear and growing kids. Suspension height with two kids, two adults and camping gear, bikes occasionally was more like 4 inches. Subarus only have 8+ inches when empty👍My brother has three kids and his Highlander is bursting at the seams now when they do trips. I also had a 1st gen Sequoia it was great but a total fuel pig, gave it to my dad its still in the family. I replaced two vehicles with one vehicle. 2019 standard length Expedition. I was worried it would be too big.. I have property I manage in a big city and even need parking garage capability. Its been an awesome rig super happy with it. My outback mileage was 18-19mpg short kid hauler trips in town worst case, same use with heavy tow Expedition is a solid 16-17mpg. Road trips no trailer the Outback was 24-26 with roof box. Same trip with the Expedition is typically 22-23mpg average. Turbo Subarus? Yeah my huge 400hp 9200lb max tow 4x4 Expedition gets better mileage than the Turbo Subarus running the CVT that dealers seem to lack any drain fill training which it needs every 60k when used to haul families up dirt roads and do daily commuting otherwise the cvt is complete trash by 80,000 miles. Subaru also will deny any assistance to fix faulty parts if a 3rd party has serviced it. The cvt has a long history of bad batches of faulty parts also..

Quality? Two Subarus over 360,000 miles between the two. The Ford quality is far superior not to mention the dealer doesn’t quote me $1000 factory service fluid change fees like the Subaru dealer did.

Wifes old Jetta 1.8 and the VW dealer was light yrs better than my Subarus. Even with two cars that missed major parts quality issues I still had major parts quality problems that Subaru corrected multiple times outside of any warranty period- faulty manufactured parts are definitely an issue with Subaru. More so than the two Fords we’re rolling right now. Likely adding a Lincoln to the fleet when my daughter starts driving Moms Fusion Energi.

Last edited:

MFurey

Subaru's scheduled maintenance is too high. But, as an overall vehicle, its hard to beat the Forester.

If all I was doing was fireroads (which is mostly what I do), I'd be okay with not having low range. But, I'd still want recovery hooks. So this mostly leaves out Subarus and Kia/Hyundai options (I know you can put in a front hook, but its not rated, and I don't know how well it would work). It also leaves out the Highlander, which, with a small lift and slightly bigger tires would otherwise be great.

For 7 seats, and under $60k, I'd probably be shopping the Pilot Trailsport, and Grand Cherokee. Once you get to $70k+ I'd be considering the Yukon AT4 and Expedition timberline. Both have relatively poor aftermarket support, and not much flex, but will handle a fireroad well. Beyond that, I'd look at the Defender 130. I left out the Sequoia TRD Pro, because it doesn't have the payload for 7 people + gear.

Alloy

Neighbour just bought a VW Tiguan and put 32" tires on it. I jsut saw it leaving with 3 kids full of gear plus bikes an dit wasn't squating
I ran Subarus till 2019. I have two kids we got too heavy for the OB with gear and growing kids. Suspension height with two kids, two adults and camping gear, bikes occasionally was more like 4 inches. Subarus only have 8+ inches when empty👍My brother has three kids and his Highlander is bursting at the seams now when they do trips. I also had a 1st gen Sequoia it was great but a total fuel pig, gave it to my dad its still in the family. I replaced two vehicles with one vehicle. 2019 standard length Expedition. I was worried it would be too big.. I have property I manage in a big city and even need parking garage capability. Its been an awesome rig super happy with it. My outback mileage was 18-19mpg short kid hauler trips in town worst case, same use with heavy tow Expedition is a solid 16-17mpg. Road trips no trailer the Outback was 24-26 with roof box. Same trip with the Expedition is typically 22-23mpg average. Turbo Subarus? Yeah my huge 400hp 9200lb max tow 4x4 Expedition gets better mileage than the Turbo Subarus running the CVT that dealers seem to lack any drain fill training which it needs every 60k when used to haul families up dirt roads and do daily commuting otherwise the cvt is complete trash by 80,000 miles. Subaru also will deny any assistance to fix faulty parts if a 3rd party has serviced it. The cvt has a long history of bad batches of faulty parts also..

Quality? Two Subarus over 360,000 miles between the two. The Ford quality is far superior not to mention the dealer doesn’t quote me $1000 factory service fluid change fees like the Subaru dealer did.

Wifes old Jetta 1.8 and the VW dealer was light yrs better than my Subarus. Even with two cars that missed major parts quality issues I still had major parts quality problems that Subaru corrected multiple times outside of any warranty period- faulty manufactured parts are definitely an issue with Subaru. More so than the two Fords we’re rolling right now. Likely adding a Lincoln to the fleet when my daughter starts driving Moms Fusion Energi.

I know all about the poor service at Subaru. The headlights were adjusted before putting the spare tire in. People were flashing high beams at us every day. When I took it to the dealer they (service manager and a tech) said headlights couldn't be adjusted. Took it home and did it myself. When they serviced the brakes instead of taking the calipers off and greasing the slides they sprayed the calipers plus the aluminum wheels and studs with Copper NeverSeize. I had to beat the wheels off with a block of wood to get the summer tires on. Electrolysis between the copper, aluminum and steel bonded the wheels to the rotors.

On Friday my neighbor (3 kids) came home with a VW Tiguan. On the weekend it got a RTT and new (32"?) tires. It looks pretty good!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior