First 4Runner - New to me 4th gen

rcintx

Adventurer
My niece was recently gifted a newer car for her college graduation and I took the opportunity to get a nice deal on a 2007 SR5 2wd with 190,000 miles on it. I have wanted a small SUV for quite some time (GX or 4Runner) but couldn't justify purchasing one and keeping my full size truck. If I were to take my pick of vehicles it would have a few less miles and be a 4x4 but I think the price was right enough to overlook the shortcomings.

There were a couple of dash lights on when I took a look at it that in her words "had been there a long time". Both were resolved in a few minutes by airing up the tires and resetting the oil change light (oil change was up to date, just no reset had been done). I'll be having a heart to heart with her on how lights on the dash mean something and should not just be ignored. ;)

Basic plan is to:

1. Build simple drawer system for the rear. Nothing fancy but a place to keep recovery gear and other essentials.
2. The front end is in bad need of an alignment. Trying to decide if I should replace the shocks before getting that done.

If shocks are replaced I am considering a very small "lift" by using Bilstein 5100's set at an inch or so. Nothing crazy but wouldn't mind levelling it out a bit. Open to suggestions here.

3. AT tires will be next on the list.
4. Front recovery is concerning to me, especially being 2WD. Thinking about adding "tow hooks" of some sort. Maybe a full bumper, but probably not.

Any other maintenance or suggestions to consider? I really enjoy driving this litttle thing and look forward to the project.

Last edited:

rcintx

Adventurer
Few updates:

I've been slowly fixing small annoyances as they come up. It drove me nuts that the HVAC controls had no backlight. Being a new to me car, I struggled to control HVAC in the dark. For a few dollars and a few minutes, new bulbs were installed and all is well now. I also rigged up an "attic" of sorts. I'm not sure how useful it will be besides my daughter using it to store a blanket and stuffed animal but we will see.

attic.jpg

I still haven't decided on new shocks but went ahead and moved forward with an alignment and new AT tires. HUGE difference in handling. Once the new shocks are installed I'll just have to have it aligned again.

AT.jpg

Next up: I'm going to look at a roof basket this week that is for sale locally. I think it would look good and "could" be functional but can't decide how useful it will be. Perhaps it could be a good place to store a shovel and traction boards. Maybe worth a try. Also planning to remove the running boards. I'm over 6' and don't use them. They are just in my way.

rcintx

Adventurer
Roof basket has been added. Love the look of it, not sure I love the wind it catches. Will give it a bit to see if I use it or not before I make the final determination.

rack.jpg

Took a 225 mile drive yesterday to visit two state parks I haven't been to yet.

sunrise.jpg

Used the back hatch to setup a "kitchen" and eat lunch and make a coffee. Worked great. I'm thinking I'd like to add a drawer setup that my fridge can sit on. Seems pretty useful!

coffee.jpg

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior