First camper:

Sock Puppet

Adventurer
The '97 I'm going to test drive tonight has 194k on it, and the 2001 I want to test drive has 278K on it. Any suggestions? Both are priced nearly identically (2001 is $1k more) both are in great shape.

If you aren't personally familiar with diesels, have any you are seriously considering checked out by a COMPETENT diesel technician. While older 7.3s and Cummins engines are commonly called "bulletproof", neither are. They are both very solid engines that will give excellent service, but one with issues and/or that has been treated poorly can get expensive very quickly! Injector pump getting a little weak? Bye bye $1500. Turbocharger need replaced? $1K +. Should we start talking about glow plugs, grid heaters, and injectors?

I'm not trying to scare you. I love diesels and have owned many of them over the years. Older diesels can run trouble free for many miles...or nickel and dime you to death. Seriously. Are you mechanically inclined and will you have access to tools? This will matter whether you buy a diesel or not, and can save major cash in repairs.

The used market on big block gas trucks is very soft compared to diesels, so your budget will likely buy you a newer, cleaner, lower-mileage example in a gas model. Remember that ~200K-ish zone you are considering for an older PS Diesel? That mileage/wear/tear effects the entire drive train. I bet if you really take the time to look at like-year gas rigs, you can get one closer to 100K miles; that is a significant difference.

Yes, gas rigs will get worse fuel economy. The fuel also costs $.40 to $.80 less per gallon. Oil changes are much cheaper. Repairs are generally much cheaper, and competent gas mechanics are often easier to find when you are on the road.

If you have done your homework and are convinced you want a diesel, then buy one. If you haven't, I suggest taking a week or two and really thinking about it. Step back and take your time.

Just food for thought...and happy shopping!

surlydiesel

Adventurer
I vote gas!!! Buy a gas f-350 for 5000, fix it up nice for 2500-3000, reliability stuff, timbrens, shocks, fluids ect. Put the rest into the camper and Gas!!! I loved all of my diesels but I'm not a mechanic nor do I want to be. Got too expensive to run one unless you do all of the work yourself. I'm thinking 05+ gas Superduty next time around. Just adding in 2 more cents.

-jorge

01 Reg Cab Tacoma

First camper

I think Sock Puppet brings up all of the salient points in diesel versus gas. I have owned 5 diesel trucks and loved them but the cost of ownership is high, high cost of diesel makes the fuel economy argument less appealing and repairs /routine maintenance are about twice the cost of a gasser. Also he is exactly right about purchase price of diesel versus gas truck. You can get a pretty nice older gas truck for thousands less than a diesel. I currently have a diesel f250 that I am going to sell to get a smaller gas truck for exactly those reasons. Look at both. Have fun and get the one you like.

Whiskeycutter

rystjohn

Observer
Very valid points have been raised. Hence why I love this forum and the community here.

I know a decent bit about gas engines and feel more than confident doing repair & maintenance given the time & tools. A diesel is calling my name merely because of the perceived longevity of the motor as well the power, MPG, and resale value. I know they are more difficult to work on, and also hard to find the right people to work on them.

Come Thursday, I will be without a vehicle, but with funds to purchase a new truck and camper. With a TOTAL budget of 17,000, but desired budget of 13,000 what vehicle and camper setups would any of you recommend?

Obviously coming from owning several fords, I'm thinking a 250 with whatever camper comes my way.

I've also thought maybe a Toyota Tundra (since toyota a seem built very well and very reliable). However, is a Tundra a ¾ ton? Can it haul a size able camper and would I have to modify the suspension at all?

I'm looking to keep maintenance and upgrade costs pretty low overall.

rystjohn

Observer
Also an idea that I've been entertaining is a full turn-key purchase. If be willing to fly one-way to buy a new camper & truck setup for the right pore and condition.

rystjohn

Observer
Yeah, that's a bit too big as well as too much.... thanks for looking though!

This is where we are now:

Sold the Escape. Now we wait until Thursday to make the sale on the F150. It will be a sad sad day to see it go. I love that truck, but it just can't do what I want it to.

Right now I'm still really liking the idea of a diesel, but I'm open to buying a gas truck again. My biggest concerns are payload and price.

I've found a '97 one-owner (lady driven, says the ad) F250 with the 7.3 powerstroke. It's all original, with no chips or aftermarket crap in it, which I like. The best part is that it has 94,000 miles on it! The worst is that it's at a dealership....they want close to 14K for it, which means I'll walk in there with the intention of spending 10,000 - 11,000 or I'm walking out the door. KBB value is 10,100 on it, even though I know they command a bit more on the real market but that's what I'm gonna do.

The other option I've found that I really like is a 2001 F250 7.3. This is supposed to be a great year for the powerstrokes! This truck was an old firefighter's truck, so I imagine it was taken very well care of. Not so great news is that it has 278K miles.

Another 2000 with
Transmission rebuilt with billet converter.
New ujoints in driveline
New water pump
New starter new alternator
New hubs
New tierod ends and arm
$1,800 in new injectors, glow plugs, and gaskets
Bigger turbo installed
4" Flowmaster exhaust
Gauge pod

which is for $9900

and then finally a 2000 F250 V10 gas with 175K on it and it looks incredibly clean. It's around $9000

Another thing I have to consider, now that I'm car-less, is that I have to figure out a way to get to these places. I have a motorcycle, but I would have to ride by lady on the back and have her drive the truck back. Unless it's a 5speed, which means I'd have to get a friend to come with me until I teach her.

Last edited:

surlydiesel

Adventurer
The market on 20 year old diesel trucks is crazy. I used to drink the longevity coolaid until I had an oil pan repaced in my F350. After other related parts, I could have put a reman gas engine into a newer truck with half the miles. Truck hauled nicely though but cost me way to much over time. Tundra is a 1/2 ton but the front wheel bearings are bigger than those found on a Dana 50 front end. I'm a Ford/Toyota guy and for my next truck camper I'm getting a 350 gasser. Unless I stumble onto an amazing deal for an oilburner. This is a case of supply and demand. There are less and less of these old 7.3's on the road and people believe them to be bulletproof over the newer emission laden trucks which some are but some are just waiting to wear out and empty your wallet. Be careful and choose very wisely if you can. Oh and don't buy a truck with 300k on it and expect to travel the country. Unless I put those miles on it and knew the truck inside and out, you're looking at rebuild time for a lot of parts/seals. Best of luck.
-jorge

01 Reg Cab Tacoma

Sock Puppet

Adventurer
Another thing I have to consider, now that I'm car-less, is that I have to figure out a way to get to these places. I have a motorcycle, but I would have to ride by lady on the back and have her drive the truck back. Unless it's a 5speed, which means I'd have to get a friend to come with me until I teach her.

Can't you load the bike in the back of your new truck? That way if it doesn't work out, you aren't out much cash and Momma doesn't have to be bothered going with you.

rystjohn

Observer
I probably could - but not everyone has ramps at their house to load a motorcycle in the back. And it's hard to carry them on the bike.

On another note - by the grace of the camping gods - I found a '95 ram 2500 @ 130k with a 2000 FWC Grandby. All for only $8,000! It's out in Cali, but if it checks out I don't mind making a trip.

My biggest concern is simply that the truck is a v10 and I know fuel economy is going to blow - supposedly he gets 10mpg with the camper. But this package deal could save us a solid hunk of change.

Truck: 8000
Flight:400-800(depending on I the lady comes too.
Gas: 1000
Truck&camper cost: 9400-9800

Option B is to buy separate:
Truck: 10k-ish
Camper : 4-5k
Total w/o gas: 14-15k+

Obviously option A sounds better, but I want to make sure I'm not shooting myself in the foot with such a gas guzzler.

We don't plan to drive all the time, but when we do it'll be pricey.

What's other peoples average MPG, and what are your thoughts on this deal?

surlydiesel

Adventurer
Well, if the truck is clean, rust free and the owner has a comprehensive list of repairs, I think that is a decent package indeed. I would plan on money in your budget to fix/upgrade front end steering parts on the truck, shocks and possibly brakes and other wear items. I haven't really heard a lot of bad about the V10 in those trucks, I haven't heard a lot of good, just mainly that they like fuel, lots of it. You can buy the pair, drive it for a year and decide if this is the right style for you and then you could "upgrade" the truck to something else and you have a solid camper. Assuming the camper is solid in this setup as well.
Enjoy the hunt!!!
-jorge

Bucky

Observer
I may be parting with my 2004 FWC Hawk camper with almost all options made for a 2003 GMC Sierra standard 6.5-foot bed. With 2x4 risers, it fits the 2012 GMC Sierra with standard bed. I'm the original owner.

Shoot me a private message with your email and location. I'm in eastern North Carolina. (Actually, in Massachusetts right now, but will be returning before July 4th.)

Bucky

rystjohn

Observer
Thanks Bucky, but I think I've been converted to getting a ¾ ton, and an 8' bed so that the three of us will have more room.

rystjohn

Observer
Everyone, the camper & truck have been found. Come next Tuesday I will be flying out to drive this baby home: ImageUploadedByTapatalk1401624313.086066.jpg
2001 Tundra 4x4 with a 2000 Eagle.

I had been searching and searching for a domestic ¾ ton truck, but nothing that looked reliable, trustworthy, or fuel efficient ever was in my price range. Then this sexy little number popped up and I knew I had to jump on the chance while I had it. I've owned a Toyota in the past and it was the most reliable vehicle I've ever had. This might be smaller than the 8ft bed I was hoping for, but that is made up for in piece of mind.

Thanks everyone for your help & support!

bill harr

Adventurer
Congrats on finding a rig that will work for you. Looking forward to a trip report and how the camper worked for you on your return trip.

Bill

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
guapstyle