First century.. What to do for training?

Funrover

Expedition Leader
I have decided on my first official century ride. Next summer (2009) I will ride from my house in Colorado Springs to Buena Vista. It will be a road ride. Plans right now are to take Hwy 24 to Antero Junction then ride up Trout Creek pass and down to BV.

My question for those who have do the long rides... what do I need to do training wise? What recommendations do you have?

I am all ears,

Thanks

ThomD

Explorer
Make sure your bike fits. Seriously.

When I did my first century, we trained by riding a trainer and doing Spinervals DVDs until the weather got pretty good.

There are lots of web sites on suggested distances to ride each week.

You'll need to figure out what you can eat when you ride. Knowing what and when to eat is an important part of riding any longish distance.

What's your longest distance in that last 12 months?

Christophe Noel

Expedition Leader
That bike fit suggestion is great. Nothing worse than an ill fitting machine. Thom is also correct about the multitude of web sites with programs outlining what to do for your first century.

Personally, I don't think it warrants some fancy plan. There's no real secret to riding a long day be that a 50, 100, 150 or 200 mile day. You work up to it. My suggestion would be to just start riding as soon as you can to get base fit. Don't hammer, just doodle along. That's actually fairly important as it invites all sorts of critical physical adaptations that create a foundation for your fitness. When spring rolls around and you can get on the road, you'll want to continue some of those slower "base" miles. What's happening here is you're training your body to internally produce those glycogens your muscles use as fuel. During this time, limit sugar intake as much as possible.

Every week, just try to increase your distance by a shade - maybe 5-10%. You'll want to ride at least 3-4 days a week. Below that, you de-train as rapidly as you train. Eventually, you'll want to throw in some hard, short days that develop that power you'll need to climb those big humps. A couple trips up to Woodland Park and beyond will do the trick! Maybe once or twice a week.

By the time you're able to whack out a 60-70 mile ride comfortably, you're in century fitness. There's nothing magic about the number 100. I think anyone that can do 75 miles on a training ride can easily bang out another 25. As you train, just try to fit in one long ride each week.

Lastly, any pounds you can drop before then will be golden. Climbing is all about power to weight.

Funrover

Expedition Leader
ThomD said:
Make sure your bike fits. Seriously.

When I did my first century, we trained by riding a trainer and doing Spinervals DVDs until the weather got pretty good.

There are lots of web sites on suggested distances to ride each week.

You'll need to figure out what you can eat when you ride. Knowing what and when to eat is an important part of riding any longish distance.

What's your longest distance in that last 12 months?

Longest in last 12 was is right around 50 miles.

Funrover

Expedition Leader
I commute to school/work now, that is no less then 27 miles a day but does get up to 45 miles on some days. I also have a training video I picked up that my Wife and do every now and then. I think if I just start doing that more I will be okay for the thick of winter. I will also start doing longer rides on the weekend and see what foods agree with me and what foods don't while on the bike. Currently all I usually bring (even o the 50 mile rides) is a camelback and a waterbottle.

Is there a website where I can get generic diet ideas?

Cackalak Han

Explorer
I have nothing to add, but I am looking to do the Lotoja Classic race next year. 206 miles. Thus far, I have done ~80 mile days, but not comfortably and barely squeaking them out.

For an extended length of time on your saddle, what kind of saddle are you guys on? Mine needs to get replaced before the next season. I am thinking of going with a good ol' Brooks B17.

dieselcruiserhead

16 Years on ExPo. Whoa!!
Fun Rover -- congrats regardless!

I'm no expert in the slightest but I pulled off a couple 50+ mile days this year including on and off about 3 times on a solscice ride (sunrise to sunset) with some work I couldn't get out of intermixed... Agreed about a comfortable bike... That said a couple of us did it on single speeds, the guys who were on all day were at about 120+ miles at the end of the day, unreal... If you can get up to about 36-50 miles it depends on the terrain but you can basically just keep going and going I found as long as you have good food, are hydrated, slept well, etc...

Funrover

Expedition Leader
What kind of food do you all eat? I have looked at the gels and such, they seem like a lot sugar....am I wrong?

ThomD

Explorer
Funrover said:
What kind of food do you all eat? I have looked at the gels and such, they seem like a lot sugar....am I wrong?

Food is a very personal choice. Yes, many of the "funny" foods have some sugars, but they are not all simple sugars. Clif Bar products use a lot of "Organic Brown Rice Syrup" which has only a tiny amount of glucose. Lots of maltodextrin in some products, which I think is a bit more complex. I eat Carboom gels and Shot blocks because I like the flavor. My wife mixes Gatorade with Sustained Energy. She likes hammer gel for the flavors. You'll just have to try lots of things. What tastes good at 40 miles you may be sick and tired of at 95.

I like a hot dog at mile 45; my wife can barely stand to watch me eat it.

Experiment.

Christophe Noel

Expedition Leader
I haven't been road racing in over a year, but my typical late winter rides involved lots of 80-125 mile rides, at least once a week. For those rides, I often just brought along gels, Clif bars, pop tarts, Shot Blocks, PB&J sandwiches, maybe a Nutella and Banana sandwich. I also would drink something like HEED Perpetuem which has tons of calories even though it tastes bloody horrible. Since you're not racing, you aren't confined to shot blocks, gels and sports fluids. Take what you need.

If you're fueled well before the ride, you won't really need to consume too much. If you knock the ride out in 7-8 hours, you'll just need to consume a couple hundred to four hundred calories an hour which is easy to do.

When I was in my teens and early 20s I used to do a team time trial every year that was 228 miles. Back then I fueled myself with powdered doughnuts, bananas and pop tarts. I'm not that resiliant anymore although these days, if properly trained, I can ride 100 miles with less eating. That's why those base miles are so key. If you can get your body to produce that fuel internally with more efficiency, you won't have to rely on stoking the fire with a bunch of food.

Funrover

Expedition Leader
Flounder said:
I haven't been road racing in over a year, but my typical late winter rides involved lots of 80-125 mile rides, at least once a week. For those rides, I often just brought along gels, Clif bars, pop tarts, Shot Blocks, PB&J sandwiches, maybe a Nutella and Banana sandwich. I also would drink something like HEED Perpetuem which has tons of calories even though it tastes bloody horrible. Since you're not racing, you aren't confined to shot blocks, gels and sports fluids. Take what you need.

If you're fueled well before the ride, you won't really need to consume too much. If you knock the ride out in 7-8 hours, you'll just need to consume a couple hundred to four hundred calories an hour which is easy to do.

When I was in my teens and early 20s I used to do a team time trial every year that was 228 miles. Back then I fueled myself with powdered doughnuts, bananas and pop tarts. I'm not that resiliant anymore although these days, if properly trained, I can ride 100 miles with less eating. That's why those base miles are so key. If you can get your body to produce that fuel internally with more efficiency, you won't have to rely on stoking the fire with a bunch of food.

When you put it that way... I need to try the Nutella and Banana sandwich.. That is right down my alley!

29er

Observer
Whether you consider yourself an 'athlete' or not, this article should be very helpful. It's written by someone from Hammer Nutrition, so just ignore the fact that he's trying to argue the case for their products. Just note what's in the products, then feel free to substitute with other foods/products.

The best info in the article has to do with the timing of your meals rather than the type of calories, anyway.

http://www.svcyclingcenter.com/knowledge/commonmistakes.php

Christophe Noel

Expedition Leader
Speaking of optimal nutrition - Let the record show that 29er and I logged our fastest laps at this weekend's race only moments after consuming half a bag of bagle chips and a monster length Slim Jim...Tobasco flavored. :chowtime:

29er

Observer
LOL! True!

I don't know if it was the food, though. I think it was kinda like, "Oh, you can go that fast? Well, I can go this fast!!"... "Oh yeah, you can go that fast?... Well I can go this fast!!!!"

:gunt:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Deleman