First gen Tundra vs. 2nd/3rd gen 4runner

RyanC-PNW

Observer
Hey all,

After having my Tundra about a year and a half I am considering selling. It's a fantastic truck, but it has a few faults. It's an access cab, I can't stand the half doors and terrible rear seat. The driver seat is uncomfortable, it's terrible on gas, and itis generally just a very large truck.

I'm considering selling for a 2nd or 3rd gen 4Runner. The ideal runner would be v8 +leather + elocker. That will likely be hard to find, but I'm not married to it. V6 would be fine. Would love a manual.

My question is, has anyone had both? Are the rear seats better? How is gas mileage? Any general thoughts on the switch?

The primary use for this vehicle is a 1 mile drive to the train station each day, ski trips, and weekend camping/exploring.

Any insight anyone can shed on making the switch would be helpful.
Current truck is an 05 sr5 access cab.

tronn

I currently own a 3rd gen 4runner and a 1st gen tundra, so I might be able to help. If you want a v8 4runner, you'd have to get the 4th gen(2003-2009). Rear seats in the 4runner are definitely better than the Tundra, Tundra rear seat is useless for people or even children. The front seats in my 4runner are better than the Tundras, but not by much. The gas mileage isn't much better in my 4runner, I get 14 city and 18 highway(4runner is lifted with larger tires, so is the Tundra). Going from the tundra to a 3rd gen 4runner will be a noticeable decrease in power, the 3rd gen v6 makes 195 hp. The 4runner is shorter and more narrow than the Tundra, my elbow will always hit the passengers. Plus side is the 4runner is easier to maneuver on the trail and it gets less desert pinstriping.

Last edited:

Leibbrand

Adventurer
Have both a 3rd gen SC w/ URD add ons. Tundra is much more refined vehicle, smoother, quieter, more torque, but is significantly larger. Not really suitable for trails, but roads is fine. Bought the tundra for more road trips, and longer camping trips, probably doing a contractor cap on it for camping. Got tired of being cramped in the 4runner with GF and dog. More than half the time I don't need the capability of the 4runner.

Maybe talk to rickashay, he's had both a 3rd and a 1st gen AC.

My put, I'd be looking at a GX470 if I had to have one. No sense in 2nd gen runner, 3rd is where its at, or go with the GX for a refined ride, taller interior, and the V8. None of these vehicles are good on mileage, its not having repairs and wasting time is where you get your savings.

MaverickTRD

Adventurer
I have both a 3rd gen 4runner as well as a 1st Gen Sequoia.
Imo the sequoia is the perfect compromise between the Tundra and 4runner. Its got the v8, width, and a few of the creature comforts. but the wheelbase is shorter than even a doublecab tacoma.
i find the seats much more comfortable in the sequoia, I enjoy the higher payload capability, i can haul a hockey team in a pinch lol.
it doesnt have quite the capability of the 4runner. The 4runner also feels a bit more solidly constructed.

gas mileage is a wash, but power is a huge difference

JLee

Adventurer
Another vote for the GX470. Incredibly comfortable, plenty of power, and you can swap in a 4Runner e-locker if you want.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taunger