first gen tundra wedge/pop camper options ? (post your pics)

SolBeach

Known quantities I'm aware of are the FWC Project M and the GFC (It was great to see the 2003 Tundra Dolores build with the GFC).

Recently there seems to be an explosion of wedge camper builders now, but the 1st gen is somewhat of a unicorn bed, with minor differences even between the access cab and double cab.

I'm building out a double cab (2004), and I'd appreciate suggestions for what people are finding works well out there.

I'm intrigued by the Lone Peak Campers both due to their price and they indicate they will build for a 1st gen on their website.

Thanks for any sage advice//suggestions anyone can provide.

Steadfast Rocky

Couple of things about the GFC, first, I am not associated with them other than I am friends with one of the engineers there, we own an RTT from them, and we hang out with the crew at times as we are locals.

1. I doubt you'll find a stronger camper, especially on a pound for pound basis. Looks like the GFC is roughly 100lbs less. (I prioritize weight in campers due to the CG issue).
2. There are a lot of them on the used market, most of the time I think that can be associated with just sheer numbers, I would hazard a guess that they have more campers in the wild than anyone else. I would call GFC and ask what other makes and models of trucks that the 1g tundra campers fit on, you'll be surprised but some of the ram campers do fit I believe. Again confirm that though. Prices on used vary but I have seen them go for less than the Lone peak used.
3. There is a pretty extensive aftermarket for the GFC.
4. If it matters to you great if not disregard. As a maker, and a designer who has to to build on an American supply chain due to work restraints and some other challenges. (Barry Compliance) I appreciate their dedication to attempting to build on an American supply chain, and the transparency when they don't.

ns7i

I'm a big fan of the OVRLND campers. They are all custom made so you'll maximize space. They have excellent customer service, lots of flexibility and are built like tanks and still very lightweight.

Attachments

• f1BwHEe.jpg
    f1BwHEe.jpg
    748.3 KB · Views: 38

SolBeach

Thank you both the feedback. I like the GFC, and have been keeping my eyes out for used. I'll poke the company to see what RAM models might fit as that might expand my aperture.

Regarding the OVRLND - what is your impression with driving with the camper - much weight impact to CG and braking?

ns7i

Thank you both the feedback. I like the GFC, and have been keeping my eyes out for used. I'll poke the company to see what RAM models might fit as that might expand my aperture.

Regarding the OVRLND - what is your impression with driving with the camper - much weight impact to CG and braking?
The weight difference between OVRLND and GFC is minimal. A base model OVRLND is about 325lbs on the First Gen Tundra. I've added a lot of weight in my build out and upgraded to the Archive Garage setup (new leaf pack, hammer hangers, and 12" shock mounts) and it drives excellent now. I would like a little more braking power and am going to either do the GX460 or PowerStop setup eventually. With all that said, if you kept it minimal, you wouldn't need to worry about brakes or weight.

If you want to maximize your living space then I think fully vertical walls are the way to go.

dierkz

I'm a big fan of the OVRLND campers. They are all custom made so you'll maximize space. They have excellent customer service, lots of flexibility and are built like tanks and still very lightweight.
Looks great! We'll check Ovland campers when my uncle's Tundra is ready for the camper mod. He recently retired and looking to hit the road more often so he wants a customized camper. He took it to the shop for the mounting of the rotors, moto metal wheels, and new tires. Camper and lights mods will be next.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior