First Post, First Question Please ADVISE

cordrayj1

so i took the advise . . . called steve @ sonoran steel and decided to go with the 1.2 system. I am pretty stoked. Ill post some pics when I'm done with the install.

shawkins

Adventurer
Yeah a full day or weekend would suffice. Make certain you have a hell of a spring compressor as the are a PIA.

Aaron
A good quality spring compressor is a must. The cheapy Harbor Freight ones I used were a PITA. They probably doubled the time it took to install my spacers versus had I used a quality compressor. Not to mention I didn't feel very safe while using them, I was sure they were going to break and turn the spring into a projectile. Definitley a "one time use only" tool.

cordrayj1

A good quality spring compressor is a must. The cheapy Harbor Freight ones I used were a PITA. They probably doubled the time it took to install my spacers versus had I used a quality compressor. Not to mention I didn't feel very safe while using them, I was sure they were going to break and turn the spring into a projectile. Definitley a "one time use only" tool.

I got him to pre-assemble the front coils for me...didnt feel like worrying about switching old stuff w/ new. figured it would cut down on the time to install as well. we'll see if it was worth the extra money.

Cackalak Han

Explorer
I'm sure it will be worth the extra cash. I remember doing my 4Runner's front coils and had the Autozone free rentals. I laid it sideways on the ground, placed a piece of carpet over it and had my friend stand on it. It was unnerving as I clamped down more and more with thoughts of the cheap compressor breaking apart and the spring shooting out right towards my face. I think I'll let my local shop do it for $20 next time.

xcmountain80

Expedition Leader

No Joke anything short of a floor mounted or wall mounted commercial compressor sucks. I used 4 per springs and my god was it dangerous. I bent during removal from the newly mounted spring and strut assembly. We had to cut it loose with a sawzall. To this day we never found the other end of the compressor, and that was in 05. This is as dangerous if not more than a hi-lift.

Aaron

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Smudge12