First Purchase?

turnerc7

Hey Land Cruiser Community,

I have recently realized that I need a larger vehicle for my day to day work and occasional adventuring. I have looked around at the various brands and what they offer and Im pretty sure that I have settled upon a Land Cruiser. Furthermore I have focused my efforts on 80s and 100s. As I have no experience with Land Cruisers Im turning to you to see what to look for.

a few questions I have:
80 vs 100, which is "better" in your opinion?
What to look out for, maintenance, rust, repairs, etc.
mileage, how high is too high and how far will they go?
Reliability, I read that they are the best overlanding vehicle available in the states, true?
anything else you deem useful or important about these rigs.

thanks in advance!

cheers,
Craig

p nut

butter
For what you're doing, the 100, no question. More power, more comfortable, better riding, same or better MPG, and just as reliable (if not more, due to age).

86tuning

Adventurer
You'd only want an 80 if you MUST have a solid front axle (for rock crawling or other heavy duty usage offroad). The 100 is much better on the road, for towing, power, fuel economy, everything else. Except perhaps initial purchase price.

That said, I drive a 97 LX450 because I like it. But I did indeed get it for a really good price.

Chuy

80 series is the last SFA Land Cruiser before IFS. If you are going to get IFS then many vehicles will fit your needs Montero, Trooper, 4 Runner, Pathfinder, Armada, FJ Cruiser etc. Land Cruisers are beasts of a vehicle but comparing a 80 to 100 is like comparing apples to vegetables. They are just totally different vehicles. Might as well get a Sequoia or FJ Cruiser if you are settling for IFS. Lots of other IFS vehicles out there that have more power same reliability cheaper and more or equal cargo space compared to the 100 series. Best advice is drive the two of them and see way you like best. To me the 100 series feels like a mini-van. The thick wide doors and interior design give it that fat bloated feel. The 80 series is a unique last SFA full size SUV that has a legendary reputation around the world. Extremely reliable, tons of aftermarket support, and very little issues that are all well documented. The 80 series is easier to lift/mod and has an awesome commanding drivers view. I think they are both great vehicles but for me I would take a more robust SFA vehicle over IFS any day. You buy a Toyota for reliability and durability if you want comfort and looks you get a Land Rover.

RobRed

Explorer
80 series is the last SFA Land Cruiser before IFS. If you are going to get IFS then many vehicles will fit your needs Montero, Trooper, 4 Runner, Pathfinder, Armada, FJ Cruiser etc. Land Cruisers are beasts of a vehicle but comparing a 80 to 100 is like comparing apples to vegetables. They are just totally different vehicles. Might as well get a Sequoia or FJ Cruiser if you are settling for IFS. Lots of other IFS vehicles out there that have more power same reliability cheaper and more or equal cargo space compared to the 100 series. Best advice is drive the two of them and see way you like best. To me the 100 series feels like a mini-van. The thick wide doors and interior design give it that fat bloated feel. The 80 series is a unique last SFA full size SUV that has a legendary reputation around the world. Extremely reliable, tons of aftermarket support, and very little issues that are all well documented. The 80 series is easier to lift/mod and has an awesome commanding drivers view. I think they are both great vehicles but for me I would take a more robust SFA vehicle over IFS any day. You buy a Toyota for reliability and durability if you want comfort and looks you get a Land Rover.

The OP asked about "day to day work and occasional adventuring"

As someone who has owned both - The 100 crushes the 80 in every way except pure offroad prowess... and that's a 7% advantage. A 100 will go 93% of the same places an 80 can. Dont forget 78% of all statistics are made up on the spot.

The 100 is actually easier to lift (torsion bar crank and rear springs - 45 minutes) than an 80 but you can only get 3" out of it... so if you want more you would have to go 80.

Settling for IFS? Hahaha You mean settling for superior ride quality and on road handling? Sure, if that's settling.

Suggesting that lots of other vehicles out there have the "same reliability" of a Land Cruiser??? Wow I don't even know how to address that.

I do love your enthusiasm for the 80 but you're not really telling like it is... you did give some good advice: "Best advice is drive the two of them and see way you like best. "

To the OP: Test the air conditioning in both on 80 degree day. You will find out quick which one makes sense for LA.

Chuy

The OP asked about "day to day work and occasional adventuring"

As someone who has owned both - The 100 crushes the 80 in every way except pure offroad prowess... and that's a 7% advantage. A 100 will go 93% of the same places an 80 can. Dont forget 78% of all statistics are made up on the spot.

The 100 is actually easier to lift (torsion bar crank and rear springs - 45 minutes) than an 80 but you can only get 3" out of it... so if you want more you would have to go 80.

Settling for IFS? Hahaha You mean settling for superior ride quality and on road handling? Sure, if that's settling.

Suggesting that lots of other vehicles out there have the "same reliability" of a Land Cruiser??? Wow I don't even know how to address that.

I do love your enthusiasm for the 80 but you're not really telling like it is... you did give some good advice: "Best advice is drive the two of them and see way you like best. "

To the OP: Test the air conditioning in both on 80 degree day. You will find out quick which one makes sense for LA.

RobRed I respect your opinion and the love you have for you 100, I think they are great vehicles. I live in AZ it was 101F today and my AC works great and cools me down just fine. I prefer the feel of the 80 vs 100 on road and off road, I also DD mine.

Craig, I would head over to IH8MUD if you want more details on the 80 vs 100. You can research all of the different mods and problems each one has. They are both unique vehicles with their own set of Pros and Cons. I was in a very similar situation when I was deciding on which one to buy. I read hundreds of threads and blogs, watched lots of youtube videos, test drove about 20 different 100's and 80's, researched what the local cruiser clubs were mostly using before I made my decision. I went back and forth several times on my decision. You really have to look at your intended needs and use of the vehicle. I will also add that it was very very hard to find a clean 80 when I was searching. Almost all of the 100 series I looked at were still in excellent shape. I would go with what you can find. The price of a clean 80 with lockers has gone up like crazy it seems. Either way I don't think you can go wrong with any Land Cruiser.

Clutch

<---Pass
There are plenty of suspension shops in SoCal that can always do
a coil over swap, if the torsions aren't up to par.

The bonus of a 100 over a 80 is that most 100's were owned by old farts, that never took them in the dirt.

Made the top ten used vehicles for overlanding...

http://www.expeditionportal.com/resources/91-guide/351-top-10-used-overland-vehicles.html

These guys seem to do ok with a 100. Only if we could get a diesel...well Proffitt's could always do a swap.

http://www.ronaldbrunner.ch/projekte/hdj100.htm

Verschraenkungstest.jpg

Last edited:

RobRed

Explorer
RobRed I respect your opinion and the love you have for you 100, I think they are great vehicles. I live in AZ it was 101F today and my AC works great and cools me down just fine. I prefer the feel of the 80 vs 100 on road and off road, I also DD mine.

Don't misunderstand - I have a love for both 80's and 100's, having had both. But I'm enough of a realist to understand the pro's and cons of both to advise a new shopper what's better for "day to day work and occasional adventuring". There is no question the 80 is superior in extreme off-road conditions if set up for it... it's not 100% better it's incrementally better.

I'm glad your AC is working well but the combination of my 100's better front A/C with rear A/C cools it from an ambient 99 to a comfortable 75 in half the time.

Then there is the motor... way more torque than my 80.

We could battle it out all day on point for point - the 80 was great in it's day and remains a standard bearer but for most practical applications the 100 is a better choice.

grain2glass

I own a 94 FZJ80 and I absolutely love it. I don't have much of a commute so I use it primarily for weekend camping and bad weather situations. There is a huge community of support for these vehicles, as well as the 100 series. I would have to say that there is a certain mystique and fanaticism surrounding the 80 series that edges out the 100 series. The biggest concern in regards to the OP that I don't believe has been addressed yet on this thread is price. The starting cost for a stock 100 series is easily double that for a "similarly equipped" 80 series. However, the maintenance costs for the older 80 series can add up quickly due to availability of parts and knowledgable technicians in your area. If you can handle your own routine maintenance and a few weekends troubleshooting, then shop costs might not be something you need to worry about. They stopped producing the 80 series for the US in 1997, which is 15 years ago. There is just a lot of wear and tear on these 80 series SUVs. Additionally it is extremely difficult to find an 80 series in as good of a condition as a 100 series without some ridiculous sticker shock. If you can afford the upfront costs you will have much more luck finding a 100 series in a well-maintained condition within a reasonable amount of time and you won't have to worry so much about sourcing odds and ends over the internet. It took me three months to find my 94 LC, and I can tell you that I will have to put into maintenance about what I spent on the vehicle itself before I start modding it for adventure. Having said that, the maintenance isn't something that I am dreading or avoiding. Go in with eyes wide open. If my budget would have allowed I would have scooped up a 100 series without hesitation just because it would have been almost a decade of wear between the two. That combined with the vast technological advances, makes the 100 series an obvious choice for "occasional adventuring". They are both amazing vehicles. Like Kermit said, you can always drop a SFA into a 100s series to make the coveted 105 series.

As far as what to look out for besides the normal list for any used vehicle purchase, I would strongly encourage you to check out the FAQ for either 80 series or 100 series on IH8MUD and SLEE Offroad's respective sites. They both helped me out tremendously, along with this forum, to figure out what options I needed versus what options I wanted for my specific usage. I can only speak to the 80 series hunt, but the hardest thing for me was adhering to my budget and my need list. There are a lot of guys (and gals) out there who have put a ton of love and ca$h into their 80 series. Quite understandably they want that back when they go to sell them. It's easy to get overwhelmed with "this one has the bumper I want" or "this one just got new tires put on", but in all reality these trucks are insanely overbuilt for DD. Which is why it can be hard to find a low milage one for a reasonable price. Sooner or later though, you can find one from somebody who just wants to dump it and has never modding it or taken it off road. Then the real fun can begin.
Happy Hunting

LandCruiserPhil

Expedition Leader
Hey Land Cruiser Community,

I have recently realized that I need a larger vehicle for my day to day work and occasional adventuring. I have looked around at the various brands and what they offer and I'm pretty sure that I have settled upon a Land Cruiser. Furthermore I have focused my efforts on 80s and 100s. As I have no experience with Land Cruisers Im turning to you to see what to look for.

a few questions I have:
80 vs 100, which is "better" in your opinion?
Both are great vehicles

What to look out for, maintenance, rust, repairs, etc.
Slee Off road offers a newbie's buying guide - check it out

mileage, how high is too high and how far will they go?
No one has ever wore one out:sombrero: many have seen 300,000+

Reliability, I read that they are the best overlanding vehicle available in the states, true?
Australian 4WD monthly and many other rank the FZJ80 best overlanding vehicle.

anything else you deem useful or important about these rigs.
Even though they are both great vehicle the 80 series gets the cool factor vote hands down.

thanks in advance!

cheers,
Craig

FWIW - I have owned a few of both and still do own one of each.

hks3sgte

César Gómez
I think the 80 series is the ugliest of all the Land Cruisers. Then the 100. Then all of the red-necked 40/55/60 series with Chevy engines, transmissions and SOA conversions.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JCCB1998