First Tent Camping Trip

The wife, five kids and I had been camping in a pop-up or travel trailer since the kids have been born. It was getting costly to tow the travel trailer and the stress of hauling an expensive and vulnerable trailer up forest service roads was too much. We decided to sell the camper and start collecting gear to try our hand at tent camping. We bought a 10x14 Kodiak tent, new Kelty Grasshopper sleeping bags for the kids and a Kanz outdoor kitchen with Partner stove. I already had a decent assortment of cast iron and MSR back packing pots and pans and a few lights, coolers and chairs. We still need more compact camping chairs, a better picnic shelter (that can withstand wind) and a few hard sided cases (the north face bags a very strong and water proof but hard sides would be nice) and nice table. We have to fit all of our gear on the roof of a JK unlimited so we are limited on what we can take. Here's a few pictures form our first outing. The kids absolutely had a blast and can't wait to go again.

IMG_0121.jpg

IMG_0123.jpg

IMG_0124.jpg

jbs

Observer
Looking good! How do you fit 7 people into the jeep? Does it have a 3rd row?

We just had our fifth. Used to use the back of the 4Runner for sleeping space. That along with the RTT on the Chaser was enough room and quick/easy setup. We just got a Kodiak 10x10. We'll try it for the first time next month in Maine/Nova Scotia. Seems like a great tent.

Yes, I added the Little Passenger Seats jump seats. It's not the most comfortable option but the oldest kids are only six so they don't mind much. We also have a suburban, we won't take the Jeep every time.

dirty Bakers

Conservative
That is awsome. You are my hero. We have three kids and we think we are working hard. We cruise a grand wagoneer and a m416 trailer and ithink we are traveling light.

I was pretty impressed with the kitchen. It's sturdier than you would think and the layout is well thought out (I fit utinsils, plates, bowls and cups for 8 plus pots, pans, a griddle and percolator without things looking like a mess. Inserting the legs might be difficult for one person (I had each boy insert a leg while I held it up). Some sort of cover will be necessary, I was a little uneasy having it unprotected on the roof rack. Also, it is a bit heavy to hoist on the roof rack. The real gem of the unit was the partner stove, it is so simple and extremely well built. I was planning on purchasing the pantry as well but so much fit into the kitchen unit I'm not sure now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
guapstyle