First time camping and doing it solo...

FramedLink

Hi guys.
I have never been on a camping trip but I'm thinking of going this summer and I wan't to go alone. But since I've never done this I have no idea of what to bring and how much to bring with me, what kind of equipment should I buy, what kind of food should I buy, should I be worried about animals(Humans I already figured) so things like that. Experts share you're wisdom!
A little background info.I'm 25 and I'm a pretty tall guy (2.01m). I think I already know a place where I would like to go it's 312m above sea level, the highest place in my country(Latvia), I'm going there by car, the ride will be pretty long so I can't afford to make allot of mistakes, but then a little hike to find a good place hopefully near water.

Last edited:

FramedLink

Well, how many days are you planning on going for?

For as long as possible, 4-6 days maybe. That's the thing, I don't know how much food I can pack and how long it will last me. For water, I assume, I should take some from the lake/pond/river and boil it because trying to bring enough water for 6 days will kill my back. But with food, I'll probably bring a fishing rod even if I suck at fishing, but I have to assume that I'm not going catch any and my only supply of food is the one I bring, but I don't know how much I can bring because of the ton of stuff I need to take with me...
Also since I'm planning on staying that long, bringing fire wood with me is a waist of space, right? Since I wont be able to bring enough with me to last the whole trip anyway I should just find a spot near water and a forest.
Dose any of this make sense?

thefishhawk

Adventurer
So are you planning on backpacking or car camping? It kind of sounded like backpacking until you mentioned firewood.

short list:
tent
stove
pad
sleeping bag
cup
water bottle
water filter or treatment
rain jacket
tp and shovel
knife
firestarter
compass/map

beyond that it depends what you are doing, cooler, backpack, maybe dehydrated food. thing is keep it simple, you don't need a ton of stuff, just a few basic items.

upndown

Adventurer
Might I suggest doing a one or two night stay. This way you'll only need to bring a tent, a sleeping bag, some food and water etc, this way you can try it first before purchasing a bunch of accessories. It's hard to believe, but some people don't enjoy camping. Good luck and enjoy yourself!

78Bronco

Explorer
Might I suggest doing a one or two night stay. This way you'll only need to bring a tent, a sleeping bag, some food and water etc, this way you can try it first before purchasing a bunch of accessories. It's hard to believe, but some people don't enjoy camping. Good luck and enjoy yourself!

Start small then grow your camping capabilities.

There are way too many factors to account for...

Where? How long? How (feet, bike, car, etc.)?

What is your carrying capacity?

What are the absolute musts you need (medicines, first aid kit, life straw, mirror, compass, map)?

What is the environment usually like during your trip plan? Hot, cold.

How much water can you carry? What is your average intake per day of fluids?

Who are you checking in with when you leave and return?

I suggest you start some research.

FramedLink

Assume I'm going by foot and for as long as possible, even if I'm taking the car. The car is there because I have a specific place in mind that is far away but I don't want to use my car as a cheat. But maybe I wont even take my car who knows. That's why I don't want to rely on it.
What I want from the first camping trip is to see how long I can last in nature using only the things that I can carry on my back and it doesn't mean that it's impossible that I will run home after 2 days but I don't want to make it my goal to run home after 2 days...
So I also did some research and I probably should start by purchasing a Backpack (+70l), Tent (I assume I should get for at least 4 people even if I'm going solo since I'm, like I said, 2.01m tall) and a sleeping bag because they seem to be the hardest to pick and also the, kind of, core items. So should I start with these things?

thefishhawk

Adventurer
my list still stands, add a backpack and some good boots. Might want to check out a site like backpacker.com for reviews of gear/how to articles. don't get a 4 man tent, heavy and bulky when space is limited and you have to carry it. Dehydrated meals are pretty decent these days and kind of the only way to go for longer trips away from the car. Jetboil makes great light stoves.

Otherwise you need to consider environmental issues, temp, availabilty of water and how much you need to carry, climate/weather you might need to prepare for. Backpacking you need to plan a bit more than car camping, some people go ultralight and some need a few more comforts and carry 50 lb packs. it's a lot easier when weight and space aren't issues.

all that said I agree with the others unless you are dead set on it. you want this to be your first camping trip, not your last. car camp first, get familiar with and test your gear, get a feel for what you need and don't, etc. etc. once you have a few trips under your belt then venture out. being alone adds an extra issue of safety as well. a Spot or PLB might be another purchase. good luck.

FramedLink

That gear from the site seems pretty expensive, I don't know if I can afford it...
The price for the 60l backpack's are about 300$, are there any good cheaper alternatives?

4runner168

First and foremost Please bring a map of where you are going and know how to use one. I've hiked with a lot of newbies who just go into the forest with no map and when they take a wrong then they get lost and have to get rescued and let someone know where you are going and when you will be back.

Also just make sure you bring plenty of water . You can survive for days without food but not without water...

Good luck and have fun.

PlacidWaters

Adventurer
Here are the four most important items and a general idea of what to look for:

TELTS: 2 person (4 person is way too heavy), 2.2 kg or less. http://www.gandrs.lv/pargajienu-un-trekinga-teltis/telts-taurus-l-2p/

GULAMMAISS: Down if you can afford it. Ideal is .9 kg. Rated to about 2 degrees celsius. http://www.gandrs.lv/dunu-gulammaisi/

MATTRESS: Insulated inflatable that weighs less than 1.14 kg.

BACKPACK: 60 liters, 2.25 kg or less. http://www.deuter.com/US/us/backpacking-trekking-/act-lite-65plus10-4340115-120.html

These items are all quite expensive. For your first trip you can borrow, rent, or buy them used. Your height is a problem for all of these items.

Do you have a discount camping gear store near you?

screwball48

Explorer
A good source of affordable camping gear is military surplus. I have no idea if surplus items are readily available in your area, but if you know individuals who have served check with them they should be able to point you in the right direction.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

thefishhawk

Adventurer
I'm sorry, I just don't have any idea what you have access to in Europe. that website was just to give you an idea of what to look for and how-to. In america there are all kinds of discount camping websites and stores where you can pick up deals. What something is listed as msrp on backpacker can probably be found at half the price shopping around and finding discounts/closeouts.

it's an age old problem, starting with cheap gear and realizing you just want to upgrade it later or buying quality that will last which is never cheap.

FramedLink

Here are the four most important items and a general idea of what to look for:

TELTS: 2 person (4 person is way too heavy), 2.2 kg or less. http://www.gandrs.lv/pargajienu-un-trekinga-teltis/telts-taurus-l-2p/

GULAMMAISS: Down if you can afford it. Ideal is .9 kg. Rated to about 2 degrees celsius. http://www.gandrs.lv/dunu-gulammaisi/

MATTRESS: Insulated inflatable that weighs less than 1.14 kg.

BACKPACK: 60 liters, 2.25 kg or less. http://www.deuter.com/US/us/backpacking-trekking-/act-lite-65plus10-4340115-120.html

These items are all quite expensive. For your first trip you can borrow, rent, or buy them used. Your height is a problem for all of these items.

Do you have a discount camping gear store near you?

Wow...Thanks allot!
You even translated it, even if you didn't have to.
But anyway, the only stores that I found that sell camping gear are these giant DEPO stores that kinda sell everything, but camping backpacks, and the gear looks generic and well...too cheap. I'll try to search outside my city and see if I can find a specific store but I doubt I'll find anything, and will have to order the stuff online. But these prices are horrible...

How much of a problem is my height?
I don't expect to stand straight in a 1-2 person tent but the one you found looks big enough for me.
And I think I can find mattresses and sleeping bags my size. That only leaves a backpack.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JCCB1998