First trip to Uwharrie National Forest

Bretthn

Explorer
We have never been to Uwharrie before and finally went today. We didn't make the final decision until we woke up this morning. Several people had warned us that it would be extremely crowded this weekend but that was not the case.
We stopped by Eldorado Outpost to get our trail pass for the day, map, and pick up some other trinkets.

View attachment 163438
The outpost is just up the street from the Forest entrance.

We had lunch and stretched our legs in the parking lot at the trailhead to Falls Dam.

The trails are rated easy, moderate, and difficult and we just did 2 easy and half of a moderate. We drove all of Falls Dam Trail, Wolfs Den Trail, and Part of Dickey Bell. Dickey Bell has a pretty nice climb in the middle that we probably could have made but did not want to risk gashing a stock radial open. It is all loose jagged rock. We will probably not go back until we have better tires and some sliders though we still had fun on this trip without them. It continues to amaze me what the LX470 is capable of in completely stock form. The only thing we did was air down he Michelin LTXs to 25 psi.
There was not a lot of spectacular scenery so we just took a lot of poser shots along the way.

This is where sliders would be nice.

I really liked this shot. It was a cool little one lane bridge about a quarter mile into Dickey Bell.

These shots were cool too with the sun shining through spaces in the tree line and reflecting off all the dust in the air from other cars that were traveling on the road ahead of us.

Before heading back to Eldorado Outpost to grab dinner then head home, we stopped by the Badin Lake Campground boat ramp. Mina, our german shepherd enjoyed it the most.

We took a couple videos that I will try to upload later.

dorton

#rockcreekoverland
Sounds like you had a successful first visit. The weather was perfect for it.

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk 2

Bretthn

Explorer
The weather was perfect. The trails were just right too. Not too dusty or muddy which I hear is rare out there.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Smudge12