Firstone air compressor...any experiences?

WCO

It's Lil' Willi
Hi all, I was resently going through a bog given to me by the widow of a friend who'd passed away. In it I found an older firestone aircompressor, the kind you would hook up to airbags.....I've got a 2.5gal tank, and was thinking of mounting the compressor to the tank for mobile on board air. Anyone have any experience with these compressors? Are they worth while using in this fashion or should I just go buy a new compressor?

Thanks!

AFSOC

Explorer
My father has an electric Firestone compressor in his F-700 farm truck. It is basically the size and look of a VIAR 450. It's used to pump the airbags on the tag axle. The truck is a 1980 model and I assume the tandem axle and all associated pneumatic system was dealer installed when new. My Dad has owned it since 1982, using it 6 or 7 weeks per year and never had the slightest problem with the compressor. It's mounted behind the seat in the cab and is extremely loud.

I own a VIAR 450 but have no way of comparing it to the Firestone's performance. My assumption is that they are reasonably close, 12VDC motor and piston compressor technology hasn't evolved all that much since their inception...efficiency doesn't vastly vary.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JCCB1998