Fitting 255/85/16's on 2003 4Runner

FireGuy

Adventurer
Long time lurker here, but finally had a question I couldn't find that answer to with a search.

I have a 2003 V8 4Runner that later this year I'd like to fit with 255/85/16's on factory TRD wheels. I'm wonder what all I'll need to do to make them fit. I'm currently running the complete ICON front suspension with UCAs as well as ICON rear shocks/coils. I also have a SW front bumper. My current tire is the 255/75/17 BFG MT which has been a great choice. I do not rub with this combo. I'm hping I can fit them with just trimming - I'd like to avoid a body lift as I don't want to worry about different sliders etc.

I do plan to regear and add a locker at the same time.

Thanks guy...

Layonnn

Adventurer
Long time lurker here, but finally had a question I couldn't find that answer to with a search.

I have a 2003 V8 4Runner that later this year I'd like to fit with 255/85/16's on factory TRD wheels. I'm wonder what all I'll need to do to make them fit. I'm currently running the complete ICON front suspension with UCAs as well as ICON rear shocks/coils. I also have a SW front bumper. My current tire is the 255/75/17 BFG MT which has been a great choice. I do not rub with this combo. I'm hping I can fit them with just trimming - I'd like to avoid a body lift as I don't want to worry about different sliders etc.

I do plan to regear and add a locker at the same time.

Thanks guy...

Your tire size is going to be nearly the same especially if it is the same tire (only a inch increase). I would think that you would be okay, especially with the icons. In the front you could just adjust the coilovers and/or longer bumpstops if the tires are too tall.

FireGuy

Adventurer
Thats what I was hoping. The 255/85/16 is a full inch taller than the 255/17/17. It is a true 33" if not even a little taller.

Redline

Likes to Drive and Ride
You should be able to clear the 255/85s just fine. With a 'typical' front lift on an 03-up 4Runner AND a front bumper you will have little, if any, rubbing depending on upper A-arms, caster, etc. I have lots of weight front, rear, and underneath (skids) and when driving quickly can get my front end to bottom and rub the bottom/rear corners of the front fenders. I have added one-half a hockey puck to the top of my lower control arms to help control the very occasional suspension bottoming.

Most of my posts here regarding tires are based on my 2006 4Runner with OME suspension and 255/85R16s on Toyota TRD 16x7.5” wheels.

Which 255/85 are you going to buy?

4Rescue

Expedition Leader
Well, most Toyotas can fit 33's with little to no modifications (at least the older ones can) so if you're running all the ICON gear and what not, I'd imagine that you'll be just fine. Up-front you may need pound the pich weld down, but that'd be about it. Were lucky unlike the Jeep Cherokee guy's we don't have to lift much at all to fit bigger tires. In fact, most of the issue comes form WIDTH more than height of a tire as well as the B/S of the wheel because the sweep and scrub getting into the control arms etc.

Cheers

Dave

FireGuy

Adventurer
You should be able to clear the 255/85s just fine. With a 'typical' front lift on an 03-up 4Runner AND a front bumper you will have little, if any, rubbing depending on upper A-arms, caster, etc. I have lots of weight front, rear, and underneath (skids) and when driving quickly can get my front end to bottom and rub the bottom/rear corners of the front fenders. I have added one-half a hockey puck to the top of my lower control arms to help control the very occasional suspension bottoming.

Most of my posts here regarding tires are based on my 2006 4Runner with OME suspension and 255/85R16s on Toyota TRD 16x7.5” wheels.

Which 255/85 are you going to buy?

Thanks for the info. I have been following your build and to be honest, copying it in a sense as it is pretty much how I want mine set up.

There are some great 255's out there and it is hard to make a choice. I wish the BFG AT was available in that size. I'm leaning towards the BFG MT2's, but may go with the Coopers. A lot will depend on price and availability.

On a different note, while I am leaning towards TRD rims, I really like the 16x7" black steel spare rim that came on many 3rd gen 4Runner. Does anyone know if that rim will fit a 03 Sr5 4Runner?

Here is a pic of the rim...http://www.hubcaphaven.com/mm5/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=HC&Product_Code=4779&Category_Code=2387

Redline

Likes to Drive and Ride
Most older Toyotas might fit 33s (or close) but the mall crawlin' 4th Gen 4Runners certainly need some lift to fit 255/85s. LT265/75R16s can be squeezed onto the stock chassis if you don't flex it too much or bottom out.

I agree on the width issue. Even with my lift the stock SR5 aluminum wheels can make the 255s rub because of their height at full steering lock; the 7.5” TRD wheels have a bit less backspacing and help the tires fit better. I don't have the clearance for full flexing with the much wider 285/75R16.

Well, most Toyotas can fit 33's with little to no modifications (at least the older ones can) so if you're running all the ICON gear and what not, I'd imagine that you'll be just fine. Up-front you may need pound the pich weld down, but that'd be about it. Were lucky unlike the Jeep Cherokee guy's we don't have to lift much at all to fit bigger tires. In fact, most of the issue comes form WIDTH more than height of a tire as well as the B/S of the wheel because the sweep and scrub getting into the control arms etc.

Cheers

Dave

Redline

Likes to Drive and Ride
There are a few great 255/85 choices, but not nearly as many as in other sizes... makes the choice a bit easier. I am considering returning my Toyo MTs in 255/85 since my 4Runner doesn’t like them (tire pull). If my local Les Schwab could get the BFG KM2s in this size for a decent price I would consider trying a set. Not only is their price high (they don't sell many or have the 'connection' with BFG like other brands) but it appears the KM2s in 255/85 are on back-order lots of places. I like the Coopers (ST) but they certainly are not as rugged a tire as the BFGs though they sure ride nice. I assume you have seen the many tire threads in the general vehicle modifications section?

I think lots of people would like to have the BFG AT in a 255/85 :)

Thanks for the info. I have been following your build and to be honest, copying it in a sense as it is pretty much how I want mine set up.

There are some great 255's out there and it is hard to make a choice. I wish the BFG AT was available in that size. I'm leaning towards the BFG MT2's, but may go with the Coopers. A lot will depend on price and availability.

On a different note, while I am leaning towards TRD rims, I really like the 16x7" black steel spare rim that came on many 3rd gen 4Runner. Does anyone know if that rim will fit a 03 Sr5 4Runner?

Here is a pic of the rim...http://www.hubcaphaven.com/mm5/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=HC&Product_Code=4779&Category_Code=2387

FireGuy

Adventurer
In all honesty I'm glad the BFG's are backordered as it gives me a little more time to save for gears and rims!

4Rescue

Expedition Leader
I think you meant 32's. 33's do require a lot of trimming.

Nah, I meant 33's... There's a guy on Yotatech who was running 35x10.50 Interco SSR's (a tire I've been supprisingly pleased with as a trail only tire) on an 89-Toyota PU with only the pinchweld hammered flat. MY truck has BJ spacers and an OME rear set-up and I' could probably clear 36's if I could find them narrow enough adn had the right wheels. My bumpstops are shimmed but only a couple millimeters and I have had no issue when I've thrown on a buddies 35x10.50 SSR's in the past. Come to think of it the guy running them no lift has them on the same rims that my friend does, older Toyota "split 4 spoke" rims, I don't know the exact BS, but he has more lift than I do so it's not really applicable in his case.

Anyway, I wasn't aware that the 4Runner lost that much tire clearence. Interesting. ANd I guess somewhere I got causght up on the 255/85 and forgot that we were talking about the 285/75's wich would be a different beast in terms of rubbing. I'll defer to the guy's who have these tires and these trucks together, they'd know the best.

Edit... Wait, we ARE talking about the 255/85's... So what's the verdict.

Cheers

Dave

FireGuy

Adventurer
I was under the impression what while a 255 may be actually taller than a 285, they still are easier to fit on a 4th gen 4Runner due to the width. Many of the guys I wheel with have 285's on their 4th gen 4Runners and they go through a lot of effort to get them to fit without rubbing. I don't want to deal with that at all.

My goal is to get the taller tire, while still keeping a lower profile - no body lift.

Cackalak Han

Explorer
Nah, I meant 33's... There's a guy on Yotatech who was running 35x10.50 Interco SSR's (a tire I've been supprisingly pleased with as a trail only tire) on an 89-Toyota PU with only the pinchweld hammered flat. MY truck has BJ spacers and an OME rear set-up and I' could probably clear 36's if I could find them narrow enough adn had the right wheels.

Dave

Oh, ok. I was thinking about 3rd Gen+. So nevermind. :D Carry on.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Smudge12