Fixed gear.

Seth Kendall

Adventurer
Just got a new bike to add to the collection. Not quite an expedition bike, but if every ride is going to be an adventure why not do it on a fixed gear.

So, after bringing in the New Year riding with a soon-to-be family member who let me ride his fixed gear we continued a talk about fixies that we've had since I first realized he liked bikes. I was discussing the possibilities of building up a frameset and wheels, he said that he had a better idea... he would let me have the bike I rode today as a welcome-to-the-family gift. So exciting.

The frame is an older Fuji with a rad custom paint job, custom built wheels with Dura-Ace hubs, and true track bars. It's beautiful. Plus, it is special because all the work was done by the guy who gave it to me.

I'll post pictures and more later.

BTW this makes 2 new bikes this year, and brings the count to 6 with a dirt jumper almost done being built. It might be an addiction.

1speed

Explorer
Welcome to the dark side! I started riding fixies about 2 years ago and log two 35-50 miles rides a week on them. I can count the times I've ridden my geared bike in that time on one hand.

Grim Reaper

Expedition Leader
I'm on the hunt for the right used bike....It keeps eluding me. Looking for something like a mid 80's Miyata 210 or similar double butted lugged frame with 700's and hopefully a suntour so that I can try it out as a single first on the cheap. Then put a flip flop on it later.

Going to try to lace the wheel myself. Bought a truing stand for the job even.

Scored a good one for the wife yesterday. Picked up a decent 84 Japanese built Tange magaloy 2001 double butted 46cm Mixte for $15 at the local thrift store. Actually in decent shape with mid-line Suntour and Diacompe parts. Other then the back rim has a bad hop I'm thrilled with it. She has troubles with shifting and this is her first drop bar bike. Going to single it to make it simple for her. She only rides the Rail to trail MUP with me and a easy pace so she has little need for the gears. Has a 40 tooth and a 52 on the crank. I think a 40/16 single might work for her.

Now if I could find a 58-60cm for me I would be stoked!

Last edited:

1speed

Explorer
Grim Reaper said:
I'm on the hunt for the right used bike....It keeps eluding me. Looking for something like a mid 80's Miyata 210 or similar double butted lugged frame with 700's and hopefully a suntour so that I can try it out as a single first on the cheap. Then put a flip flop on it later.

Going to try to lace the wheel myself. Bought a truing stand for the job even.

Scored a good one for the wife yesterday. Picked up a decent 84 Japanese built Tange magaloy 2001 double butted 46cm Mixte for $15 at the local thrift store. Actually in decent shape with mid-line Suntour and Diacompe parts. Other then the back rim has a bad hop I'm thrilled with it. She has troubles with shifting and this is her first drop bar bike. Going to single it to make it simple for her. She only rides the Rail to trail MUP with me and a easy pace so she has little need for the gears. Has a 40 tooth and a 52 on the crank. I think a 40/16 single might work for her.

Now if I could find a 58-60cm for me I would be stoked!

Don't forget the White Industries Eno Eccentric hub.http://www.whiteind.com/rearhubs/singlespeedhubs.html You can convert any vertical dropout bike with that hub. My main fixed gear ride is a Surly Steamroller but I also converted a Look KX Light to fixed with an Eno hub. I understand the lure of a vintage frame but the "gotta have the latest and greatest new bike every year" guys sometimes turn loose of some pretty trick frames cheap.

For wheel building I recommend "The Art of Wheelbuilding". http://nashbar.com/profile.cfm?cate...and=&sku=13522&storetype=&estoreid=&pagename= I've been building wheels for myself, friends and a couple of local bikeshops for a few years and this the best reference I have found. If you need any help, PM me.

Seth Kendall

Adventurer
As breifly mentioned in the first post I have a small fleet of bikes. Most are geared, some are single speeds, and now one fixed. For me it's not about which style is better, but which is most appropriate for what you're doing. I would never try to ride my fixie on a downhill course and my road bike is amazing for triathlons and big rides and hills. Biking is the beautiful thing here and it is the diversity of styles is what makes makes it so amazing and unique. I'm just in love with pedal sports.

Seth Kendall

Adventurer
Oh, and yes I ride with a front brake. I'm new to fixies and still getting comfortable with it. Eventually the brake will go as my skills become more like a ninja, but for now it's almost a placebo effect of peace of mind having it there. I have only used it once so far.

Grim Reaper

Expedition Leader
1speed said:
Don't forget the White Industries Eno Eccentric hub.http://www.whiteind.com/rearhubs/singlespeedhubs.html You can convert any vertical dropout bike with that hub. My main fixed gear ride is a Surly Steamroller but I also converted a Look KX Light to fixed with an Eno hub. I understand the lure of a vintage frame but the "gotta have the latest and greatest new bike every year" guys sometimes turn loose of some pretty trick frames cheap.

For wheel building I recommend "The Art of Wheelbuilding". http://nashbar.com/profile.cfm?cate...and=&sku=13522&storetype=&estoreid=&pagename= I've been building wheels for myself, friends and a couple of local bikeshops for a few years and this the best reference I have found. If you need any help, PM me.
I'd love to have a steamroller and there is even a new frame in my size for sale near me http://atlanta.craigslist.org/bik/977674374.html Unfortunately not in my budget right now.

I have had a few vintage bikes pass through my hands this year and really love the way they were built. Unfortunately none have been my size. After cleaning them up I sold them.

Killed me when I got a Dumpster bound Miyata 610 that was too small for me and too big for the wife. It was literally in the trailer with the other junk that a work cohort planned to haul to the dump when he mentioned he had a bike he was tossing . He actually gave that , a Huffy and a GT mountain bike. Went through it cleaned the 610 up got it back in tip top condition and sold it for almost enough to pay for what is now my Commuter/Tourer. The GT is done just waiting for a buyer.

My main rider and commuter is a T700 Cannondale. It was a "latest greatest" or a "I'm going to ride everywhere" then lost interest 6 months later when they realized it was work and hot in the summer bike. Nothing like picking up a $1000 (1995 Current version is $1400) bike for $220. Still had its original tires with whiskers on it. :bike_rider: :hehe:

On a side note... My poor wife face planted about 2 hours ago on her first ride of the Mixte. :(

Seth Kendall

Adventurer
Agh! I feel sorry for your wife, and I feel your pain too. I finally got my fiance out on a mt. bike ride, just some simple bike trails, when some atv boys riding up the down bike trails forced her off the side of the trail and sent her over the handlebars. She injured her shoulder pretty badly, and got pretty banged up. Now, she won't even consider trying it again. At least she loves her cruiser.

Grim Reaper

Expedition Leader
She's pretty sore and has a bad case of road rash on the side of her face. :(

The Fixte was to get her a lighter bike. Her other bike is a Walmart Schwinn that I am sure is probably 35+lb and has too long of cranks for her. She is 5ft 90lb so pushing a heavy bike as a novice rider was really wearing her out and taking some of the fun out of I think. GA is not very friendly so she has no interest if riding out of our neighborhood. She has never been off road and when she does ride it is the local MUP http://www.silvercometga.com/ so no need for a Mountain at this point.

I'll finish fixing this up and see if she has any interest in it after the fall. Maybe we need to look at a Tandem with the trail a bike for my 8 youngest behind that. Thats how my Buddy and his two sons go. :bike_rider:

Now a fixed gear Tandem would keep us honest LOL

1speed

Explorer
My wife has gone down hard on both road and mountain bikes. Road rash, cuts, bruises. Every time it happens I think she'll quite riding. So far she keeps getting back on the bike. Gotta love her.

My wife is 5'3" and 105lbs so I build her the lightest bikes I can.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mitch Bears