FJ Cruiser Drawer System & Fridge

BretEdge

Adventurer
I've searched for posts about this but can't find anything specific to the topic. So, here goes:

I'm building up my 2007 FJ Cruiser into an overland capable rig. Maybe not the best choice of base vehicle but it's what I've got and I can't afford to buy a new Tacoma at the moment. My next project is to install a single drawer in the rear with a slide and a fridge. I want to install a low drawer on the right side that only consumes about 1/2 of the available storage area, leaving the left side open and available. The fridge slider and fridge will be mounted to the top of the drawer - if it fits. Therein lies my question: Has anyone seen this done in an FJC? It has been suggested that the opening in the back might be too low to allow the fridge to slide out or, if it will slide out, there may not be enough room to open the fridge.

I want to avoid installing the drawer on one side and the fridge/slider on the other because it's a pain in the neck to access the fridge when you've got other gear piled on top of it. I'll go this route if I absolutely have to but I'd rather not. The drawer system I'm leaning toward is made by ARB and have a sliding floor on top, which is lower profile than having to install a slider on top of a conventional drawer. (http://store.arbusa.com/OUTBACK-SOL...-FLOOR-1988-x-3720-x-1102-RDRF945-P22677.aspx)

Any thoughts, photos, ideas, suggestions, etc. are certainly welcome and appreciated!

EverRidesurf

Observer
Check out DRIFTA fj cruiser model. This is an australian company that has a pretty good way of showing how it can all fit together in the back of an FJC.

Ramjet

Explorer
I should have mine done this week. Just waiting on some things to get from Line X. Should have it finished by Sat. Good Luck.

BretEdge

Adventurer
I should have mine done this week. Just waiting on some things to get from Line X. Should have it finished by Sat. Good Luck.

Are you building your own? I might have to enlist the help of a friend who knows how to build stuff since I'm a certified idiot when it comes to using hand tools.

Ramjet

Explorer
Are you building your own? I might have to enlist the help of a friend who knows how to build stuff since I'm a certified idiot when it comes to using hand tools.

I did. My Macs tie downs should be here tomorrow. Transit Lock a few weeks out. It's more of a shelf. I really don't have a need or want drawers.

Ramjet

Explorer
FJ Shelf w/L-Track Tie Down

Here are a few pics from my Shelf Build. Nothing special, just 3/4" plywood top. Frame is made out of 1x1, I pocket hole drilled and glued all joints for strength. I then had it coated in Line-X for durability and weathering. I procured all parts from US Cargo Control (L-Track) and Strap Works for the Cam Buckles. Thanks.

IMG_0504.jpg

Full View

IMG_0506.jpg

Engel MT-45 Fridge Location

IMG_0507.jpg

Front Tie Down Point using Cam Strap and Footman Loop

IMG_0510.jpg

Rear Tie Down Point using the Same Configuration as the Front

BretEdge

Adventurer
Here are a few pics from my Shelf Build. Nothing special, just 3/4" plywood top. Frame is made out of 1x1, I pocket hole drilled and glued all joints for strength. I then had it coated in Line-X for durability and weathering. I procured all parts from US Cargo Control (L-Track) and Strap Works for the Cam Buckles. Thanks.

Engel MT-45 Fridge Location

Great looking shelf unit! Do you have a photo or two of the Engel fridge in the truck on the slider? I'm trying to get an idea of how much space it is going to consume. Thanks!

Ramjet

Explorer
Great looking shelf unit! Do you have a photo or two of the Engel fridge in the truck on the slider? I'm trying to get an idea of how much space it is going to consume. Thanks!

The Engel MT-45 takes up a lot of room. If you use a slide it will have to be raised so the handles clear the back seat and rear door. I added a raised section to mine after I took these photos.

BretEdge

Adventurer
The Engel MT-45 takes up a lot of room. If you use a slide it will have to be raised so the handles clear the back seat and rear door. I added a raised section to mine after I took these photos.

Good to know. Thanks for the beta. I haven't decided on a fridge yet but I'm leaning toward the ARB 50 QT. No doubt they're all about the same size, though.

grimbo

Explorer
Fridges aren't all the same size, they can vary quite alot. What fits in one configuration may not fit in another.

STREGA

Explorer
You may find that the ARB 50 fridge may not fit if the rear seats are in place IIRC. I have that size ARB fridge with an AT 2 drawer next to it but I have removed my rear seats also. My friend has a older Engel mounted on a single drawer in his FJ, the down side to that setup is that the fridge is pretty high up so accessing the inside of the fridge is tougher.

We will both be in Moab around the 15th of this month so if you want to meet up with us and check out how we have are FJ's set up let me know, will be in the area for a few days. Doug

BretEdge

Adventurer
You may find that the ARB 50 fridge may not fit if the rear seats are in place IIRC. I have that size ARB fridge with an AT 2 drawer next to it but I have removed my rear seats also. My friend has a older Engel mounted on a single drawer in his FJ, the down side to that setup is that the fridge is pretty high up so accessing the inside of the fridge is tougher.

We will both be in Moab around the 15th of this month so if you want to meet up with us and check out how we have are FJ's set up let me know, will be in the area for a few days. Doug

Thanks for the offer to check out your FJ's, Doug. Count me in. PM sent.

STREGA

Explorer
Thanks for the offer to check out your FJ's, Doug. Count me in. PM sent.

No problem, always like to meet forum members. Not sure exactly which day we will be in Moab yet, we are doing the Kokopelli Trail with our local club (Book Cliff Cruisers) and we are having a meeting tomorrow night and will nail down a departure/arrival day. Will PM you when I know more. Doug.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior