FJ Cruiser or Tacoma for Touring

Strider

Observer
We love our Fj did our first two week trip this past June. Colorado, Utah, Arizona and New Mexico. Having the pet barrier http://store.springtailsolutions.com/FJ-Cruiser-Pet-and-Cargo-Barrier-Gen-2_p_53.html helps with storage in the back. We hang out blankets, sleeping bags, awning and several other small items from it.

Like that color! I want to paint my FJC from the brick red (hate that color) to maybe coyote brown, or that olive green/brown color the Marines used to use on their vehicles.

zelseman

Observer
What are your plans for the vehicle? When you say tourer, I think 2+ week long trips at a time with comfort being more important than capability. The Tacoma has a longer wheelbase and "should" be smoother on road. For us, the two doors of the FJ would be a deal breaker for the way we travel. Getting to things in between the rear cargo area and the "back seat" is a pain day after day. Either with a small lift will be plenty capable for touring as I see it, but everything is relative.

Strider

Observer
What are your plans for the vehicle? When you say tourer, I think 2+ week long trips at a time with comfort being more important than capability. The Tacoma has a longer wheelbase and "should" be smoother on road. For us, the two doors of the FJ would be a deal breaker for the way we travel. Getting to things in between the rear cargo area and the "back seat" is a pain day after day. Either with a small lift will be plenty capable for touring as I see it, but everything is relative.

I want to be be able to make extended trips to the outback; 2 weeks +, yes. Not interested in technical trails, but still want to off road well. So really part tourer and part off-roader. I guess that's overlanding.
I don't think a fully enclosed camper is viable for the Tacoma, so some kind of topper that can go on the flatbed/tray. Maybe something that has a popup to sleep in there. I may manufacture this myself, or modify an existing topper.
A huge concern for me is weight, so will probably use honeycomb panels or similar.

In the FJC I removed the larger passenger side rear seat and installed a drawer that all the way past where that seat was. On the driver side I left the small rear seat and installed a smaller drawer behind it.

On the Tacoma I plan on removing both rear seats and installing a shelf/drawer setup that has my camera gear one one side and other stuff, including the dog bed, on the other. Will likely put the second battery back there of on the removable topper.

I have considered a small military type trailer for longer trips, as that would allow taking more fuel, supplies, etc. without overloading the truck.

4000lbsOfGoat

What add ons on your Tacoma that makes it so heavy?
Front and rear steel bumpers (although the front is a "low-profile" so it's a bit lighter), dual batteries, winch, ARE cap, Decked drawers, Prinsu rack, and Icon suspension. Those are the big things but little things add up quickly when you only have 1100 pounds to work with and you're going to eat up at least 300 of that with 2 passengers. Between the dual battery setup, secondary fuse block, and all of the wiring associated with winch, accessory lighting, etc., I've easily got an extra 50 pounds of wire alone. Plus, if you've up-sized the tires at all they are going to be heavier than stock and likely add to total weight (depending on your wheels).

Another thing I don't see discussed very often is the added weight of an aftermarket suspension. My suspension components are probably close to 200 pounds heavier than the stock components. Yes, that means they can likely handle more weight but GVWR is GVWR and ultimately that 200 pounds comes out of my potential payload.

To be fair, I also carry a set of tools and recovery gear all the time (probably another hundred pounds). I live in Montana so these are pretty much necessities year-round. Weighed in at just over 5800 pounds with just me in it.

Gatordoc

Adventurer
I own an '07 MT FJ w/ locker & 33s, as well as a Dodge 2500 quad-cab on 35s, and one of my wheeling buddies runs a 2nd gen Taco (factory locker, 33s, icon suspension, sliders, bumper, but not much in camping mods).

Full disclosure, I'm biased against Tacos, although I am a Toyota fan, in general. Other than the FJ, I don't think they've made an interesting 4x4 for the US market since the mid-90s. 5th gen 4runners are OK, but I can't get one how I want it. Everything has gotten too plush and comfy, and it's impossible to spec the spartan trim levels with the off-road goodies that I want, which is why the FJ appealed to me.

Here's my perspective, worth everything you paid for it:

If you're solo, or +1 at most, stick with the FJ. It's more capable off-road, has similar payload capacity to the Tacoma, but less space which will encourage you to pack more smartly. At least, that's my experience. Other FJ quirks can be offset by adjusting your driving habits/skills, such as visibility issues, as I'm sure you've figured out since you have one already.

Tacoma is probably more comfy on-road, so if you're going to be doing lots of highway, and not much gnarly off-road, that's probably a better choice.

For me, if I'm going to be driving a pickup, it will be a full-size. If I'm going to drive a full-size, its going to be 3/4 ton+. The payload more closely matches the space available, so for an Aussie style touring setup you'd be money. As long as it will fit where you want to go, that is. I've been held up a couple of times on trails here in Michigan in my Ram, both because it was too wide to fit, and because the trail was only rated for 6,000 lbs. In most cases, I find my Ram more comfy and easier to drive than the FJ.

In a perfect world, I'd have an FJ or 2 door Wrangler/new Bronco for "wheeling" and a 3/4 ton Power Wagon or Tremor (or 79 series, if we could get them here) for "touring" to get the best of both worlds. A moderately built 4runner is probably the sweet spot, for my needs, if I could have only 1 vehicle. Neither of Toyota's current US pickup offerings is desirable to me, but that's personal preference.

Strider

Observer
It really irks me that we don't get vehicles like the Hilux and the 79 series here! It's sickening, actually.
That being said, I am looking at maybe the alloy ARB bullbar and an 8 or 9000 lb winch. Seems those are lighter than the 10k by a bit and with a "snatchblock" the pulling ability is doubled (straight pull, of course).
I think a lot of the issue is people bringing just way too much, but still, the need for fuel and water alone adds a lot of weight.
I am also once again considering a small military style trailer. This would allow bringing extra supplies, gas, and fuel, without overloading the truck. Of course, trailers also add drag and other issues while off road, that's that.

The FJC is the same deal; don't have to bring insane amounts of stuff, but adding an auxiliary fuel tank and water adds a good deal of weight. Frustrating.

Strider

Observer
I will add that if I could have only one vehicle and pick any it would be a Landcruiser "Troopy". Andrew St. Pierre White had the exact setup (as far as the Alucab popup etc.) that I have been dreaming of. He built that big 79 with the topper but now is going back to the troopy with "Project Lightweight". That's the way I like to think of it: have the bullbar, winch, extra fuel, and the rest very light: pretty much the same as if backpacking (except for a fridge/freezer).
So I think my Tacoma will also be a "Project Lightweight". The FJC as well.

Strider

Observer
OK so adding a little more here, just for discussion's sake after driving the Tacoma for another couple of months...

What I don't like about the Tacoma is the windshield slants too close to my face, and I have to bow my head getting in (this may be remedied once I lift it a bit). Getting in the Tacoma feels kind of like getting in a pod.
The seating position isn't bad for me though. Never have noticed it as particularly good or bad. Once inside, there is plenty of headroom. I am disappointed with the limited payload. It's a great little truck otherwise, though.

The FJ Cruiser is still my preferred to drive overall. Spacious cabin, good windshield, feels a bit more capable/powerful. Don't know if I've said this before but originally I had a 97 Jeep TJ, all souped up with OME suspension, heavy duty control arms, rear 8.5, locker, heavy duty Manual transmission, etc. etc. blah blah blah. I drove that Jeep from South Florida to Arizona, Colorado, North Carolina, Utah... etc multiple times. I was even homeless in Flagstaff, in February-April or so, with my dog. Soft top and 20 degrees F was a bit uncomfortable. But I survived. Went camping, just my dog and I, all the time, and never lacked for space. When I got married we moved back to AZ, my wife sold her car, and bought the FJC. Then she said it was too big and bought a Jeep JK Unlimited Sahara. I sold the TJ (with over 200,000 miles) to give some extra towards the Jeep JK, and the FJC became mine.

We got the Tacoma in manual and I hoped that my wife would drive that and sell the Jeep, but nope. She likes the Jeep too much, despite thousands spent on everything from the electric locks burning out, to the auto tranny shredding itself without warning, to the engine leaking oil and water from three different gaskets... I wouldn't trust that thing on a golf cart trail anymore.

So now we have three vehicles. Not bad in that the FJC became her daily driver for a couple of weeks when the Jeep started to spout oil and water from multiple gaskets and went to the mechanic for another $1,200+ in repairs...

But I still struggle a bit with deciding which vehicle to convert to a dedicated overlander.

Done to the FJC:
  • OME Heavy Duty Suspension
  • Removed the 60 passenger side rear seat and installed a full length drawer.
  • Installed a smaller drawer behind the rear passenger seat.
  • Transmission Cooler
  • Cooper Tires: Discoverer ST MAXX
Planned for the FJC:
  • Auxiliary Fuel tank
  • ARB Snorkel
  • ARB Bullbar
  • Winch
  • Better Roof Rack
  • Fridge
  • Heavy Duty Rear Bumper
  • Off Road Lights
  • Outside Shower
  • Outside Shower Enclosure
  • New color (I detest that brick red!!!)
  • Etc.

Planned for the Tacoma:
  • Suspension upgrade: OME/Fox ?
  • Flatbed (probably from Ute Ltd.)
  • Removable camping setup for flatbed, like the Hiatus Camper, or DIY.
  • Tires: BFG AT? Coopers? Falken? (I prefer tall, narrow tires).
  • Remove rear seats and add platform for dog, storage, drawer for camera gear, etc.
  • Auxiliary Fuel tank
  • ARB Snorkel
  • ARB Bullbar
  • Winch
  • Fridge
  • Off Road Lights
  • Outside Shower
  • Outside Shower Enclosure
  • Etc.
So my wife worries about not being able to take more than three total in the FJ and two in the Tacoma. I understand, but why am I going to sacrifice utility for the once in a blue moon need to carry an extra person? Plus, she has the Jeep/minivan which can take extra people when necessary.

Some other factors are that the FJC has about 230,000 miles on it, and that I've gotten some vibration from the tranny. The vibrations stopped when I started to take out some tranny fluid and replace it with new fluid, but stil... Also, last time I drove it to Phoenix a bunch of warning lights went on. I'm sure its a sensor but have to have it checked.

I think the FJC just needs a little TLC to get it back to normal, but that's one reason the Tacoma seems to be the better choice for long distance stuff. I mean, the FJC will also get more things done to it, so it would be just a different way to overland I guess. And can serve as another vehicle if friends visit and we all want to go outback.

And all this to just say something because I really like both vehicles damnit!!!

DaveInDenver

Middle Income Semi-Redneck
So my wife worries about not being able to take more than three total in the FJ and two in the Tacoma. I understand, but why am I going to sacrifice utility for the once in a blue moon need to carry an extra person? Plus, she has the Jeep/minivan which can take extra people when necessary.
Are you going to carry more than 2 people whilst touring? If not then what's the point of extra seats just taking up space? If the vehicle has to be multipurpose then that's the compromises you have to make. I've had extended cab pickups since the 1990s and none of them retained their rear seating, which in all honestly have always been jump seats. So the advantage of them over sitting right on the floor or in the bed was only modest.

One thing I like about pickups over wagons is that all your stinky, dirty, noisy junk is stuffed in the bed. It seems about once a year one of my friends mentions trying to track down an irritating noise a week into a trip. You don't notice something until it's been there for several days, although it's probably there even on weekend trips. Anyway it's usually a stove or some piece of recovery gear or whatever rattling. I never notice since everything in the cab is either human, canine or packed in soft sided bag. All I hear is the creaking of the door seals and squeaking of the stupid poly spring bushings.

Last edited:

Strider

Observer
Are you going to carry more than 2 people whilst touring? If not then what's the point of extra seats just taking up space? If the vehicle has to be multipurpose then that's the compromises you have to make. I've had extended cab pickups since the 1990s and none of them retained their rear seating, which in all honestly have always been jump seats. So the advantage of them over sitting right on the floor or in the bed was only modest.

One thing I like about pickups over wagons is that all your stinky, dirty, noisy junk is stuffed in the bed. It seems about once a year one of my friends mentions trying to track down an irritating noise a week into a trip. You don't notice something until it's been there for several days, although it's probably there even on weekend trips. Anyway it's usually a stove or some piece of recovery gear or whatever rattling. I never notice since everything in the cab is either human, canine or packed in soft sided bag. All I hear is the creaking of the door seals and squeaking of the stupid poly spring bushings.

My wife, my dog, and I touring. If a friend visited with his wife or if a couple of friends visited and we wanted to go touring, he/they would go in one of the other vehicles.
I agree about your wagon preference.
I like he idea of a flatbed on the Tacoma with a slide on/off topper for the camping stuff. This allows for using the truck as a lightweight as a daily driver as well as being able to carry stuff, as well as being able to hook on the topper for touring. The toppers I like are the way the Aussies do it, and like the Hiatus camper. I was drawing some ideas years ago similar to the hiatus idea for my Jeep and nixed it. But now with the Tacoma, it may be a good thing to look into again.
I would gladly buy a topper but 14k for a base model seems kind of high. I want to also tow something like a Casita trailer fro more civilized outings like traveling with my wife and camping in spots just to relax, and that much money would be better spent on something like a Casita, in my opinion anyway.

4000lbsOfGoat

Getting in the Tacoma feels kind of like getting in a pod.
That is the perfect description!

Have you looked at RSI Smart Cap? They have a really nice stainless steel bed replacement setup for Tacomas that is *supposed to* be available in NA this year. It's been tempting me for months now, I just don't know if I could live without a tailgate...

4000lbsOfGoat

If you're solo, or +1 at most, stick with the FJ. It's more capable off-road
I'm going to have to take issue with this statement. It seems to be generally accepted wisdom that FJCs are more capable than Tacomas but that has not been my experience. I absolutely loved my FJCs and figured that I would be taking an off-road performance hit when moving to the Taco. However, after 2 years operating the Taco in all manner of weather and terrain I have not run into anything that the FJC could have done comfortably that the Taco won't do comfortably. It's a totally different feel so my driving style had to evolve but the Tacoma has proven itself to be just as "capable" as the FJC ever was - you just have to drive it differently.

The *only* advantage I miss from the FJC is that it is an easy hack to modify it such that the rear locker could be engaged in high range and that is just not possible with the new Tacomas.

Strider

Observer
That is the perfect description!

Have you looked at RSI Smart Cap? They have a really nice stainless steel bed replacement setup for Tacomas that is *supposed to* be available in NA this year. It's been tempting me for months now, I just don't know if I could live without a tailgate...
Yeah the Tacoma kind of reminded me of the Chariot from the new Lost In Space show.
WOW those caps and beds are friggin AWESOME! Thanks! Kind of pricey but man they look like they're built like tanks!

Last edited:

Strider

Observer
I'm going to have to take issue with this statement. It seems to be generally accepted wisdom that FJCs are more capable than Tacomas but that has not been my experience. I absolutely loved my FJCs and figured that I would be taking an off-road performance hit when moving to the Taco. However, after 2 years operating the Taco in all manner of weather and terrain I have not run into anything that the FJC could have done comfortably that the Taco won't do comfortably. It's a totally different feel so my driving style had to evolve but the Tacoma has proven itself to be just as "capable" as the FJC ever was - you just have to drive it differently.

The *only* advantage I miss from the FJC is that it is an easy hack to modify it such that the rear locker could be engaged in high range and that is just not possible with the new Tacomas.

Yeah it depends on what the terrain is. My Jeep TJ could do certain things the FJC couldn't do, but those things were so technical and dependent on very short wheelbase that they are irrelevant to me. I realized that the tradeoff in comfort (especially on long travels), and cargo capacity was not worth it. Overall, the FJC is a much better vehicle, hands down than my souped up TJ was: it can be driven at 85mph comfortably, it is awesome off road, especially in sand! It can carry more, pull more, and just do it with much more comfort. The Tacoma so far seems like it's pretty much as versatile. Maybe the FJC will perform better in tighter tracks or more technical trails, but again it all depends on what the mission is.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior