FJ Cruiser test ride today

Biker Eagle

Observer
Really nice used 2007 FJ 4x4. One possible problem. When shifted into 4 low engine RPM's would rev to 2500-2800 before drive engaged then it would move out and Rev again before shifting to the next gear. Normal or problem?

D

Deleted member 13060

Problem, find another. When in low range my 2011 will climb a tree at idle.

1Louder

Explorer
Ditto doesn't sounds normal to me. Too may four wheel vehicles are never put into 4 wheel drive and then problems occur.

Kevin108

Explorer
Really nice used 2007 FJ 4x4. One possible problem. When shifted into 4 low engine RPM's would rev to 2500-2800 before drive engaged then it would move out and Rev again before shifting to the next gear. Normal or problem?

On rigs with real transfer cases, you are almost always supposed to shift the transmission into neutral before shifting the t-case into 4 low. The FJ is no exception:

Page 137 http://brockandbecca.com/files/fj/FJ_Cruiser_Owners_Manual.pdf

SHIFTING BETWEEN “H4” AND “L4”
Stop the vehicle, put the transmission into “N” and move the front drive control lever.

Last edited:

Dalko43

Explorer
As opposed to fake transfer cases?

I get the real vs fake transfer case you're pointing out there, but he does make a valid point about shifting into Neutral prior to engaging and disengaging 4wd Lo.

OP, were you shifting into neutral before engaging and disengaging 4 Lo?

Kevin108

Explorer
As opposed to fake transfer cases?

As opposed to the viscous variants and some of the vacuum or electronically-shifted cases. I'm not familiar with enough of them to say EVERY transfer case requires the vehicle to be in neutral to shift to 4-low. I colloquially referred to them as "real" transfer cases as that's how those of us who've spent our lives with manually-shifted lever-operated transfer case tend to feel about them.

toylandcruiser

Expedition Leader
As opposed to the viscous variants and some of the vacuum or electronically-shifted cases. I'm not familiar with enough of them to say EVERY transfer case requires the vehicle to be in neutral to shift to 4-low. I colloquially referred to them as "real" transfer cases as that's how those of us who've spent our lives with manually-shifted lever-operated transfer case tend to feel about them.

Still a transfer case :). Functions exactly the same. Viscous is very reliable. Look at Subaru. I've spent my life with manual transfer cases and have no issue with electronic shift. To each his own I guess.

Kevin108

Explorer
Still a transfer case :). Functions exactly the same. Viscous is very reliable. Look at Subaru. I've spent my life with manual transfer cases and have no issue with electronic shift. To each his own I guess.

My wife is in a 2012 Ford Escape. It's on of the viscous setups that works automagically. I like that she doesn't have to know when to shift into 4-hi or when to shift out. It just works.

I was primarily telling the OP that when it comes to shifting a manual t-case, he's doing it wrong.

RoyJ

Adventurer
My wife is in a 2012 Ford Escape. It's on of the viscous setups that works automagically. I like that she doesn't have to know when to shift into 4-hi or when to shift out. It just works.

I was primarily telling the OP that when it comes to shifting a manual t-case, he's doing it wrong.

Could be wrong, but I believe all electronically shifted transfer cases need the transmission in neutral as well before going from 4Hi to 4Lo (Range Rovers are the only exception I know of). Internally they're the same, just a motor shifting instead of hand lever, and neither can shift with the transmission in gear, putting torque on the input shaft.

I don't think that was the OP's problem though - if he had it in gear he won't be able to shift into 4Lo without grinding like hell. But once you're in, the transmission shouldn't all of a sudden start slipping between shifts. You're either in 4Lo or you're not, it shouldn't delay vehicle movement till 2500 - 2800 rpm...

Kevin108

Explorer
It is possible to force an FJ into 4-low while in gear. Lesson learned: don't let other people drive your stuff. lol

But what I got out of the OP was. "When shifted into 4 low engine RPM's would rev to 2500-2800..." As in shifting to 4 low, bypassing neutral, caused the RPMs to rise.

Biker Eagle

Observer
Crossing the Rubicon

As it turned out it was operator error. Shifting from park not neutral.

Went back for a second test drive after reading the posts here, and all performed as it should. Thanks for the insight, otherwise I would've missed out on a really nice FJ.

Instead, I crossed the Rubicon yesterday. Sold my Wrangler TJ at 3:00pm, and left for the Dealer where I consummated the deal on my FJ by 6:00pm.

The Black Beast resides in my driveway tonight. Let the adventure begin....

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior