FJ: Sleep Inside or tow teardrop trailer?

christ0pher_m

What are you considering "normal"? According to the US statistics from 2006 the average US male height is 5' 10". SWITAWI posted that he was very close to that and it wasn't what he would consider comfortable

Nice, I'm above average! I wouldn't want try it without the seats bottoms removed and the front seats pushed all the way up. We tried getting over the uneven floor with lots of egg crate type foam, but it was way too bulky to pack and never worked well. I don't have a close up of the sleep platform, but it's like the others posted above. It's a nice place for storing tools and the rest of the stuff that stays in the truck all the time, along with an aux fuse block for extra lights and 12v outlets in the back.

Here is the general idea, somewhere in WY last summer.

9194524014_a6f7b3fb5e.jpg

Topgun15v

I have an 08 FJ and removed the rear seats. I went to HD and purchased one sheet of plywood, cut it in 2 pieces. The first to level out the floor, and the second (larger piece) was to slide up to make a flat surface to sleep on. I then went to Kohls and purchased 2 3in memory foam twin mattress pads and it works perfectly. I am 6ft 170lbs and both me and my brother (6ft 180) have slept in there before, however it is tight. A few thoughts/ downsides is that you have to remove all cargo every time you get somewhere. I keep mine in big rubber made boxes to make this process easy. You also have to slide both front seats up all the way forward, and rest the plywood on the middle console. I wouldn't recommend this for a long trip, but for a short weekend this works great and is very comfortable! Good luck.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
guapstyle