Fj45

ShearPin

Adventurer
I've noticed a few posts on Expo lately featuring FJ45s - 24hoursofNevada, in particular, led me to Global Classic Import's website. As a new father I see the days of traveling in my Land Rover Series III SWB are numbered. I have no plans to part with what has become an old friend - I feel some disloyalty even looking.....

Back to the FJ45 - I am intersted in driving impressions. Whether diesel or gas, will it hold 60 to 65 with grades on the highway? Is the diesel clatter terrible? Any suggestions for a new-to-FJ buyer? If anyone has had the opportunity to see an Australian import how has the quality been?

I've been google searching FJ's but any suggested links for further info would be appreciated....

Henry
www.4x4freedom.com

cruiser guy

Explorer
Are you talking FJ45 which is gas or HJ45 which is diesel? Some Toyota nomenclature FJ = 6 cylinder gas, BJ = 4 cylinder diesel, HJ = 6 cylinder diesel

Have you considered the BJ/HJ60 or the newer '80 series diesel which is not yet importable to the states?

My truck is a BJ60 with an aftermarket turbo. It's not fast but it's not too bad. The newer HDJ81's are faster with more power but are not available as "official" Toyota USA or Toyota Canada imports. You need to find one elsewhere in the world.

I have a '67 FJ45LV wagon (currently the autoshop project here at the school where I am the shop teacher) and I don't think that would be something that most folks would want as a daily driver without some serious updating.

ShearPin

Adventurer
HJ45 Diesel

Thank you for the responses.... My mistake, it was the HJ45 troopie I was looking at. I have an econo box for my daily commute so I am not looking for a daily driver.

I've always liked the 40/45 body style and prefer older vehicles for their clearer sense of purpose and simplicity. My wife and I have been traveling by Series Land Rover for years and like the laid back atmosphere. My first inclination was a 109 Land Rover but my loaded 88 is winded at the slightest incline with the 2.25 litre engine. The 45's diesel specs appear better suited to at least maintain a cruise while not overwhelming me with excess power....

Henry

wd40

ShearPin said:
...it was the HJ45 troopie I was looking at...

Henry,

I have an HJ47 troopie, which is a bit more modern than an HJ45. I'd recommend the 47 over the 45 because it seems to be a bit more common and also has the 2H engine. The 2H engine has about 15% more horsepower and also has a few reliability enhancements.

I live in an area that has many mountain areas with 6% grades, etc. On the steeper grades, the troopie can do about 50 mph... with a tail wind. Otherwise, it is able to go about 60-65 mph without issue. It will need some upgraded running gear to go faster (3.70 differential gears, bigger tires, 5-speed transmission).

The cargo/rear passenger area is cavernous, measuring 7 feet from the back door to the back of the front seat. I don't know that I would want to ride for a long trip in one of those jump seats. A friend of mine has one and says he has no problems strapping baby seats into the jump seats. I hope this helps.

24HOURSOFNEVADA

Expedition Leader
I have had some neat rigs in the past...none can compare to the fun of driving the my 45. it's a 1980 HJ45 (H diesel motor) 4 speed. At first, I didn't really take it above 50 mph. Now that I've gotten used to it, I cruise the fast lane with no worries. I like my 45 so much that I'm looking to sell my 04 unlimited with the matching Tentrax trailer.

The rattle at idle is obnoxious, but as soon as you get going it's nice. there's a guy in town with a nice hj45 troop carrier. he has a total of five cruisers and the 45 is his pride and joy and daily driver.

With the 25 year import rule, there are some really nice ones out there being made available to us (Mine was a single owner truck with 66,000 kilo's). As far as the truck / troopy decision that's a tough one. I had been looking for a rhd diesel 45 and I really wanted a truck, not a troopy, however right after I bought mine this troopy showed up for sale on Ih8mud.com and I would have been happy with either. I really dig the color. If I had more than one kid a troopy would have been the only choice. P.m. me if you have any questions at all.

j-

greenhj47a.jpg

4Rescue

Expedition Leader
Having lived in OZ and driven alot of different LC's out on he ranch and in the bush, I'll say that the LWB 40's are great rigs. I liked the HJ78 even beter but that's another story. What I REALLY want to find and import is an HJ47 (?) or 43 maybe? they're a little shorer than a troupy or a waggy, but they're a good bit longer than a 40. Funny thing about OZ was I NEVER saw just plain old FJ/HJ40's... most all of them were Ute HJ45's... God damn I miss Ausralia.

dieselcruiserhead

16 Years on ExPo. Whoa!!
I would say the 2H does make a big difference as well. If you can find a later one with the factory 5 speed, that goes a long way as well.. I worked at a shop once that took one apart to restore... ...and never put it back together :( , beautiful truck with that combo... There is another one in SLC that the guy runs on biodiesel that is beautiful... I had that setup in my first diesel a HJ60... It was great especially with stock sized tires... Altitude hits them hard though to the point that you almost think something is wrong with them... Cheers, Andre

Troopie

I have recently bought an HJ45 from Global Classic Imports and they are good people. The 45 is slow up hill of course, I live in central AZ and the hills are not small and they are steep and I find myself in third gear wishing for a small block chevy on many occasions. Solid rigs though and the diesel noise isn't bad. I know that 50 mph uphill is possible if it's not too steep. Best of all you can stack two elk in the back of one of these rigs and still get all your gear back in it. Now if I can just get drawn again.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JCCB1998