FJ60, IMPROVE REAR SAG.

Rexrome

Observer
I am hoping that some of you can give me a bit of feedback on how to improve rear sag on my FJ60. Over the last year or so I have been restoring my FJ60 and making an expedition rig out of it and because of all the accessories I have added it has increased weight to the vehicle and there are plans for adding more weight to this rig. More weight will include a RTT, cargo/supplies, an expedition trailer, extra fuel, and a few of the fellas when taking trips.

Thus far I have a 4" lift with heavy duty OME DAKAR front and rear leaf springs. Even though I have new suspension components there still more sag than I want at this point and I also removed two leaf from each set on the front axle. So at this point I think that my only options would be to add air bags/springs to even out the ride. Then there is the questions of articulation, how to mount the bags, and finally what brand/type of bags to go with. Or maybe just doing an spring over axle mod to lift the rear a bit... Any info would be great.

Last edited:

Rexrome

Observer
Here is a pic of my rig. I did some research and I might just do a leaf over axle, SOA, on the rear axle.

IMG_0324.jpg

Lmg

I am hoping that some of you can give me a bit of feedback on how to improve rear sag on my FJ60. Over the last year or so I have been restoring my FJ60 and making an expedition rig out of it and because of all the accessories I have added it has increased weight to the vehicle and there are plans for adding more weight to this rig. More weight will include a RTT, cargo/supplies, an expedition trailer, extra fuel, and a few of the fellas when taking trips.

Thus far I have a 4" lift with heavy duty OME DAKAR front and rear leaf springs. Even though I have new suspension components there still more sag than I want at this point and I also removed two leaf from each set on the front axle. So at this point I think that my only options would be to add air bags/springs to even out the ride. Then there is the questions of articulation, how to mount the bags, and finally what brand/type of bags to go with. Or maybe just doing an spring over axle mod to lift the rear a bit... Any info would be great.

You might consider adding the extra leafs to the rear spring packs.

mep1811

Gentleman Adventurer
OME makes a add a leaf as well as other companies. I'd put those leaves back up front .

mep1811

Gentleman Adventurer
I have a couple of extra leaves in my rear OME heavy spring pack as well as airbags. You might want to check on MUD. I did a write up on the airbags.

mep1811

Gentleman Adventurer
I have a 40 gallon gas tank, spare tire rear drawers fridge, 30 gallon on board water, capacity to carry 40 extra gallons of gas tongue weight of an off
road trailer.

Rexrome

Observer
Wow, what are you carrying and how is it organized in the rear?

That's what I am talking about, seems like there is a lot of sag and I am still not done with the gettin my rig finished... Let alone filled with a few passengers.

So at this point, in cargo area, just have some cabinets/drawers, fridge, national luna battery pack, zero gear yet, and still to add a roof top tent. I am assuming that after I fully load my gear, 40 gallons of fuel, and a trailer I will be saggin' real low.

BritKLR

Kapitis Indagatoris
That's what I am talking about, seems like there is a lot of sag and I am still not done with the gettin my rig finished... Let alone filled with a few passengers.

So at this point, in cargo area, just have some cabinets/drawers, fridge, national luna battery pack, zero gear yet, and still to add a roof top tent. I am assuming that after I fully load my gear, 40 gallons of fuel, and a trailer I will be saggin' real low.

Thanks. I understand what your going through. I run a very heavy 60 with OME HDs and found that I had to move my heavier items (water, ATC products, RTT, parts, tools, ect...) to the mid section of the truck. I've also greatly reduced what I actually carry. I do like airbags and have them on my towing truck, so that maybe an option. Good luck.

Attachments

• IMG_0127.JPG
    IMG_0127.JPG
    184.2 KB · Views: 20
  • IMG_0110.JPG
    IMG_0110.JPG
    130.7 KB · Views: 17

NCFJ

Adventurer
I think that Brit is on the mark. It is not just a matter of springs and total load. You are more than likely concentrating too much weight aft of the rear axle. Sounds to me like heavier springs along with a weight reduction plan and well distributed weight will solve your issue. Similar to why say 1,000 lbs of tongue weight on a bumper hitch sags a pickup so much more than that same 1,000 pounds on a goose neck that is over the axle. Good luck!

racingjason

Adventurer
I installed a set of OME heavy springs on the rear of mine before we went to Africa and never regretted the decision. We were towing our caravan that was probably pushing 3500 lbs along with a 50 gallon fuel tank in the factory placement; the back was loaded with tools and parts and at one point two extra adults (and their gear for a month.) I never had a problem and the ride is fine even when I am not fully loaded (though I still carry some tools and parts all the time.) It has always sat pretty level when loaded. When I ran the rig across the scale after we got home, the rear axle was about 4000 lbs. That is loaded and towing but with not as much stuff as we needed when we were traveling for a year. The OME's that I use have (I think) 8 leaves and and 2 overloads. I had a clapped out pair of mediums that I had added extra leaves to and was try to make work but in the end I spent the money and never looked back.

This is probably about as bad as the sag ever got:

Sitting level(ish).jpg

Oh, and don't do a SOA, it opens a whole other host of problems

Last edited:

Rexrome

Observer
I think that Brit is on the mark. It is not just a matter of springs and total load. You are more than likely concentrating too much weight aft of the rear axle. Sounds to me like heavier springs along with a weight reduction plan and well distributed weight will solve your issue. Similar to why say 1,000 lbs of tongue weight on a bumper hitch sags a pickup so much more than that same 1,000 pounds on a goose neck that is over the axle. Good luck!

Stan thanks for the heads up. I am on it.

Rexrome

Observer
I installed a set of OME heavy springs on the rear of mine before we went to Africa and never regretted the decision. We were towing our caravan that was probably pushing 3500 lbs along with a 50 gallon fuel tank in the factory placement; the back was loaded with tools and parts and at one point two extra adults (and their gear for a month.) I never had a problem and the ride is fine even when I am not fully loaded (though I still carry some tools and parts all the time.) It has always sat pretty level when loaded. When I ran the rig across the scale after we got home, the rear axle was about 4000 lbs. That is loaded and towing but with not as much stuff as we needed when we were traveling for a year. The OME's that I use have (I think) 8 leaves and and 2 overloads. I had a clapped out pair of mediums that I had added extra leaves to and was try to make work but in the end I spent the money and never looked back.

This is probably about as bad as the sag ever got:

View attachment 377154

Oh, and don't do a SOA, it opens a whole other host of problems

Yeah your right, some people have mentioned that going soa is another project that don't stop. So scrape that idea. I got some extra leaves that I am gonna add to the rear this weekend. I am will take a few before and after pics. So I guess you never considered air bags?? Does not sound like you needed them.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mitch Bears