FJ60 LS Swap - From Oil Burner to Gas V8 - Stoffregen Motorsports

tnave94

This is awesome! My FJ62 needs to spend some time with you haha the original inline 6 I have is great, but just no power or efficiency haah

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

thethePete

Explorer
Yep, GM powerplants are awesome to work with. Simple as rocks, parts are everywhere, and parts are cheap.

I always liked AA's products, great to work with. As enjoyable as being a production tech is, I miss custom work. What was the reasoning for v-bands at the collectors, vs a standard 3-bolt flange? Just because they're better? (A perfectly acceptable reason in my mind) ...Also, it's so weird for me to see an LS getting a custom exhaust with a passenger drop transfer case... I've done many, but all in GM trucks, so they had the regular left-side front drive shaft; just one of the first things that caught my eye.

Champion really impressed me with their quality, especially considering they're a fraction of the cost of a Griffon or Ron Davis, etc... I got one for a 65 Mustang project, happened to have a pinhole on one of the tubes, just a fluke defect that didn't get caught because it barely misted the fan at full operating temp; phoned my supplier up and they sent me a new one, no questions, and didn't even worry about getting the old one back. Top notch for sure.

Rad shroud looks great, and the reasoning for steel is undeniable. Any plan to isolate it from the rad at the mounting surface, for galvanic corrosion prevention? You're usually pretty over-the-top with attention to detail, so I suspect you already thought of that...

Yep, GM powerplants are awesome to work with. Simple as rocks, parts are everywhere, and parts are cheap.

I always liked AA's products, great to work with. As enjoyable as being a production tech is, I miss custom work. What was the reasoning for v-bands at the collectors, vs a standard 3-bolt flange? Just because they're better? (A perfectly acceptable reason in my mind) ...Also, it's so weird for me to see an LS getting a custom exhaust with a passenger drop transfer case... I've done many, but all in GM trucks, so they had the regular left-side front drive shaft; just one of the first things that caught my eye.

Champion really impressed me with their quality, especially considering they're a fraction of the cost of a Griffon or Ron Davis, etc... I got one for a 65 Mustang project, happened to have a pinhole on one of the tubes, just a fluke defect that didn't get caught because it barely misted the fan at full operating temp; phoned my supplier up and they sent me a new one, no questions, and didn't even worry about getting the old one back. Top notch for sure.

Rad shroud looks great, and the reasoning for steel is undeniable. Any plan to isolate it from the rad at the mounting surface, for galvanic corrosion prevention? You're usually pretty over-the-top with attention to detail, so I suspect you already thought of that...

AA is kind of like Target. They have everything. There may be more intricate parts on the market, but AA's product line doesn't include anything that sucks. I always give them first shot.

The V-band clamps are awesome. When I use them, I make the tubing of one side slip into the v-band ring of the other side so there's a male/female connection. This makes it impossible to screw up when replacing the exhaust, but it also helps the joint become air tight. They also don't use gaskets, which is huge for me since I have never found a fail proof gasket. Lastly, they take up less space than a 3 bolt flange.

If you do get a tiny leak with a V-band clamp, just apply a thin bead of high temp orange RTV into the joint before assembly. You won't even see it.

The fan shroud mounts to the radiator via nutserts that were in the radiator already. So the shroud only contacts the radiator at three points per side. I will use some refrigerator door seal on the top and bottom of the shroud to help seal in the flowing air.

Thanks Pete. Your comments are always very insightful.

thethePete

Explorer
Thanks for the thorough response. So basically, "just because they're that much better"; I'm a big fan of V-bands too, they really don't have any disadvantages, that's why we use them OEM on diesel stuff. I like your method of sleeving the tubing too, like you said, makes it a lot more of a positive connection. I agree with your decision, I just wish all my customers would be willing to spend that extra little bit too.

Coming from someone producing the level of work you do, I take that as a compliment. Thank you, and I look forward to the next steps.

Thanks again Pete.

Sometimes the customer needs to be swayed one direction or another. I've learned over the years not to let them talk me into doing something I don't agree with. Also, asking them if they are willing to allow me to flex my muscles a bit usually nets a "yes" response. You just have to ask.

Things are moving right along on this project. I've had to pinch myself to make sure that this isn't a dream (usually I run into a lot more hangups).

The exhaust system is done, as well as the power steering plumbing and fan shroud. I guess I should say, I think they're done.

I don't yet know if I need O2 bungs or how many (I suspect at least two). The exhaust system is not all new. I used as much of the existing system in a cost saving measure. I did buy a new Walker muffler (3" center inlet/offset outlet) and I had to shorten the Toyota hanger bracket a bit. I also replaced the rubber hanger with new ones from Pypes Performance. They are almost identical to the OE Toyota units, but you can get them anywhere.

The P/S pump should work in it's current configuration, but I won't know until I fire it up. It may be too close to the steering box, in which case I will have to do a remote reservoir and a smaller pump can. Usually this gets done wih a PSC reservoir and can, but I want to keep the AN fittings on this truck to a minumum, so I have a trick up my sleeve if I need to go that route.

The fan shroud is fit and welded up, but the hose routing may require a couple small reliefs to be made to the shroud. I won't know that until I get the 1 3/8" tight u-bend I'm using for the upper hose.

Anyway, here are some pics. Enjoy!

Last edited:
Here's the power steering system. I ditched the Toyota cooler line in favor of the OEM GM finned cooler, which I had to modify and fit in front of the A/C condenser.

The OEM fitting coming out of the pump was the EVO (electronic variable orifice) style, so I purchased a custom -6 AN fitting from PSC, then plumbed the pressure side with Aeroquip fittings and hose. In my usual style, I heat shrinked the hose to protect it and make it look stock. I don't particularly like the blue...

Metcalf

Expedition Leader
Great use of a cleco :)

Do you have the part number for the GM pump to AN fitting?
Also, what did you do to convert the FJ60 box to AN?

Thanks. Keep up the good work. I like this new style of thread with more details and updates. I know it's an added level of work...

Thanks Brennan.

The pump fitting is from PSC, part number SF23, specifically for the modern GM P style pump.

The box fitting is from Borgeson and is for a Fox body Mustang steering rack.

It's constant homework to dig up these small parts, but once found, they do make life easier.

thethePete

Explorer
Looking great. You'll need 2 02 sensors minimum to run the engine. Right near your elbow out of the header in a convenient spot would be perfect. If there aren't any cats to be installed you won't need the downstream pair, and you can have the ECU flashed to compensate and run it problem free.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior