FJ60 LS Swap - From Oil Burner to Gas V8 - Stoffregen Motorsports

BTW- I've been driving the truck and I am sold. This is going to be my next family rig for sure. I need to sell my '83 pickup first. Of course that means I have to finish it...

Upland80

Adventurer
BTW- I've been driving the truck and I am sold. This is going to be my next family rig for sure. I need to sell my '83 pickup first. Of course that means I have to finish it...

Nice work...been following this thread as a LS powered 80 is likely in the future. Weren't you going to swap a LS into your 80?

Trying to figure out where we left off...

This is the detail part of the job. Brackets, wiring, running cables, hoses, making sure everything fits and makes sense all has to be part of the job. If I were building for myself, I would probably leave more loose ends, but you can't do that when the client lives hundreds or even thousands of miles away.

Starting with the underside of the truck. Wiring the VSS was more challenging than expected. I couldn't find a wiring diagram anywhere that showed specifically which wire went to which terminal on the VSS, so I guessed. So far, so good.

My simple fix for the speedo cable. Just disassemble the speedo correction box and rotate one side, making an offset drive adapter. Simple.

Front axle all assembled and ready for install.

That had to be done before I could measure for the driveshafts. This pic shows all the parts of the old shafts. I like the large joints of the LC, but I like CV's even better.

For some reason, the front shaft hit the crossmember at full droop. So I took a bite out of it.

All clear on the LC front.

Rear shaft mounted up...

...using new Toyota bolts. Anyone who has ever purchased these knows how expensive they are.

Finding a place to put the ECU under the dash wash not going to be easy. COnsidering that these units were mounted under the hood of the trucks they came out of, I figured that was where it was going to be. If the truck gets submerged to the point that the ECU gets drenched, he's got bigger problems.

Using a bracket from Novak, and another bracket to allow this one to bolt to the inner fender well, it fits nicely next to the air box. The wires are hidden inside the fender, away from the heat.

I wanted to isolate the bottom of the ECU from vibration, so I used a thin piece of rubber and glued it down.

Clamped all together and bolted in place, it's as good a place as any.

After mounting the ECU, I had to find a place to run the bundle of wires into the cab. The main focus here was to keep the two harnesses separate. Having a standalone engine harness means squat if you hard wire it into the body harness. Future repairs are much easier if the two can be removed independently.

There was a place on the firewall that was perfect, but just on the other side was the HVAC, so placement was crucial. I used my electrical box knockout punch to do the job.

After installing the wiring (using a OEM Toyota grommet), the ARB lines, brake lines, engine temp and oil psi wires all had to be tidied up. I ran the ARB lines in a split loom so avoid chafing.

Inside the cab, wiring behind the dash was cleaned up from the previous MBZ engine install. We also ran a couple extra independent circuits for the stereo, in-dash USB charger, etc. The tach signal had to be wired into the dash harness and the ARB wiring was re-routed to make it cleaner. Molex connectors were used as needed to keep the harenesses separate and removable.

Electrolysis is common with aluminum radiators and you need to be sure that the radiator has a good ground. The LC has rubber isolated radiator mounting, so I made a single ground strap just for the radiator.

doug720

Expedition Leader
The importance of good grounds. and many of them, is often overlooked, and the cause of many problems that many people would never consider to be caused by simple lack of a good ground!

Nice work as usual!

NCFJ

Adventurer
The importance of good grounds. and many of them, is often overlooked, and the cause of many problems that many people would never consider to be caused by simple lack of a good ground!

Nice work as usual!

I agree 100%. I always install new battery cables with an LS/Vortec swap. 1/0 ground cables to frame, body and engine block. I also run several "jumper" ground cables from frame to body and engine block to body. There are multiple ground lugs on an LS harness. Never enough grounds :)

Build is looking good!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mitch Bears