FJC Long Travel Build: 3Link Rear w/ Coilovers, Camburg, and more

montypower

Adventure Time!
Very impressive build! I've read through about half the pages... I'm curious. What is the front track width? I know many of the tight NW trails you need to be under 75".

FJLED

Adventurer
WMS to WMS is ~70". From there its going to depend on what wheels you are running (offset/backspacing). 84" sidewall to sidewall on 35"x12.5" tires. Surprisingly hasn't been an issue on the one trip with some tight trails so far.

Last edited:

FJLED

Adventurer
Remote fill is in. Located so that none of the quarter panel structural supports had to be chopped out. At this location its just sheetmetal to the exterior.

Fill%2520tube.JPG

Will toss on the switch and work on the center section (what runs between the driver and passenger seat) tomorrow. Good visibility tho as you can still see all three screen from the drivers seat and the GPS is in reach of the driver if riding solo.

P1050057.JPG

Guages just about wrapped up. Only one more to find a spot for.

Autometer%2520setup.JPG

AxleIke

Adventurer
Just a quick question, but have you had it out on the hwy yet?

I ask because I 3 linked the back of my old 87 runner with IFS front, and with straight lowers, my roll axis was WAY positive, to the point where I had acell/decell steer (when I'd punch it on the hwy, the truck would turn slightly). It also had wicked oversteer. Granted, yours is a different wheelbase, and track width, so that changes the numbers, but I was just curious how it drove.

Cheers!

FJLED

Adventurer
Just a quick question, but have you had it out on the hwy yet?

I ask because I 3 linked the back of my old 87 runner with IFS front, and with straight lowers, my roll axis was WAY positive, to the point where I had acell/decell steer (when I'd punch it on the hwy, the truck would turn slightly). It also had wicked oversteer. Granted, yours is a different wheelbase, and track width, so that changes the numbers, but I was just curious how it drove.

Cheers!

It hasn't been aligned yet so I haven't done a whole lot of highway driving. Slightly positive roll axis which would indicate slight oversteer, sway bar diamemter should also promote a bit, but honestly no issues with the driving characteristics on the highway or road at this point. Accel/decel you get little if any roll steer at this point.

Saw page 1 skipped to end "FJN00B" dis is you?

Yep

FJLED

Adventurer
Not with the OEM gas tank. 19 gallon tank takes up the entire driver side of the frame from the transfer case back to the axle. Other issue is the frame layout which unless you mount your links considerablly lower limits your uptravel before hitting the frame. Rebuild the rear half of the frame like others have done and toss a fuel cell inside you open your options.

All tradeoffs between trail riding, rock crawling, desert running, and daily driving/expedition trips.

Clutch

<---Pass
All tradeoffs between trail riding, rock crawling, desert running, and daily driving/expedition trips.

Yep, always a compromise with trying to "do it all" in one vehicle...

Killer build BTW, bet it feels good to have done.

upcountry

Explorer
Is that a go pro mounted I see on the pass side beam?

If so, lets see some footage!

Strong work on the build.

FJLED

Adventurer
Is that a go pro mounted I see on the pass side beam?

If so, lets see some footage!

Strong work on the build.

Unfortunately, I was pretty inept at the timing of taking the video and killed the one camera that was on the suspension. Guess there was an issue with the water proof seal on the one housing. As such there was really only ~5 minutes of worthwhile video (didn't get rock garden and the trail riding is pretty boring). Luckily some of the folks I was with caught video on their cell phones. No tuning on the suspension and no weight on the rear end (bumper or storage setup). The reservoir slid low in the mount (realized in the rock garden), but in the video you can see that caused the hose to contact the UCA.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vertical.dan