FJC replacement thread

enzo

Explorer
It is too bad we do not get the stripped down version.

9fddeb737d.jpg

Do want.

KodiakTundra907

Since Toyota USA is stopping FJC inventory in the States this year. Parts right now is still be available and for the next 8-10 years...right? So Do you guys think it is worth getting a 2010-2014 FJ Cruiser?

Dwill817

Toyota Fanatic!
Parts will be around for a long time.. No need to worry about that as they share many drivetrain components with the Tacomas and 4Runners

VDBAZFJ

Adventurer
I love my FJ and I'm sad they are stopping production. Kind of.
I used to hate seeing some woman in her 50's driving one of my beloved FJs but now I smile every time I see them. Future replacements for me if I ever do wear mine out! Ha!

Capt Jon

Observer
It is too bad we do not get the stripped down version.

9fddeb737d.jpg

We might not be able to get the stripped down version, but with the GX460, we do get a V8. And there are plenty of clean used ones that have never been off road.

So it ain't all bad news.

A 120 platform is a 120 platform - prado, 4Runner, FJ Cruiser - its all the same underneath.

What I wish we could get is the Fortuner. Hilux durability with 4 doors.

Mrknowitall

Adventurer
I have even heard grumblings that the 4Runner might not get renewed at the end of the J150 model. It is mainly for the NA market, and falling volume, along with market overlap to the Highlander (no not for us here, but most of the buying public) all go against it. The big 200 series Cruiser is barely worth ferderalizing as well. I see this for us in America- Next FS Cruiser as Lexus model only, like it is in the Great White North. The Prado could come in under the Land Cruiser name (like in many global markets). Toyota could cover a huge segment of demand with a broad spectrum it offers- from all-plastic interiors with manual shifters to loaded up wagons. IF the Fortuner continues to the next Hilux generation (which the Tacoma is supposed to share) it could receive a Tacoma front end and bring a rugged ENTRY LEVEL SUV to the US market.

Box Rocket

Unfortunately the bigger issue is coming regulations that will not allow body on frame vehicles in the midsize vehicle arena. That would (and will) affect the 4Runner, the Tacoma, and the smaller Rav4 to name a few. Only the fullsize trucks and cruisers will be able to maintain the body on frame chassis in a few years. So the necessity to move to a unibody construction will likely force more and more SUVs into the Independent suspension. Most are already there, but this is what could affect the Jeep Wrangler.

Yes it's possible to use solid axles on a unibody vehicle (i.e. the old Jeep Cherokee) but it is an incredibly small market that puts a solid axle to use in a legitimate way. Heck, even 80% or more I dare say of Jeep Wranglers will never leave pavement. So many are driven by Soccer Moms (at least in the 4door version) it has become very similar to the Hummer H3 in that regard. There is a very small niche market that actually use these vehicles offroad with any sort of consistency. For the average consumer independent suspension is more than adequate for the rare jaunt down a gravel road or to tackle the snowy commute home from work.

SIZZLE

Pro-party
Unibody SUVs and small trucks? Is this my new normal? I have a 2014 tacoma and this will probably be the last new truck I ever buy.

Even most folks who take their solid front axle trucks off road could do just as much with IFS, for the most part. We're talking about a minority of a minority.

Clutch

<---Pass
We might not be able to get the stripped down version, but with the GX460, we do get a V8. And there are plenty of clean used ones that have never been off road.

So it ain't all bad news.

A 120 platform is a 120 platform - prado, 4Runner, FJ Cruiser - its all the same underneath.

What I wish we could get is the Fortuner. Hilux durability with 4 doors.

No manual trans on the Lexus...little too much fluff for me on the interior.

The FJC fits the bill in the needs and desires department (mostly), except it needs 4 real doors.

Fortuner would be nice....

Last edited:

Harmgrissom

Observer
I've lusted for an FJC for the longest time. Buddy just bought one and knowing they are being phased out I wept a little. Now with all my kiddos though I'm more in Land Cruiser Territory than anything else. These next decade will see a huge change in automotive options on the road based on regulation, not market trends. Tragedy.

Plannerman

Wandering Explorer
Unfortunately the bigger issue is coming regulations that will not allow body on frame vehicles in the midsize vehicle arena. That would (and will) affect the 4Runner, the Tacoma, and the smaller Rav4 to name a few. Only the fullsize trucks and cruisers will be able to maintain the body on frame chassis in a few years. So the necessity to move to a unibody construction will likely force more and more SUVs into the Independent suspension. Most are already there, but this is what could affect the Jeep Wrangler.

Yes it's possible to use solid axles on a unibody vehicle (i.e. the old Jeep Cherokee) but it is an incredibly small market that puts a solid axle to use in a legitimate way. Heck, even 80% or more I dare say of Jeep Wranglers will never leave pavement. So many are driven by Soccer Moms (at least in the 4door version) it has become very similar to the Hummer H3 in that regard. There is a very small niche market that actually use these vehicles offroad with any sort of consistency. For the average consumer independent suspension is more than adequate for the rare jaunt down a gravel road or to tackle the snowy commute home from work.

Are you referring to the tightening CAFE standards or something else?

Sent via fat thumb

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taunger