Flashlight flavor of the month

Rroop32

Being involved with the fire service, im a huge fan of streamlight products!

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk

Spore

I've been using various Led Lenser torches/headlamps for a while now and rate them highly. I also have a Fenix eo3 on my key chain which an awesome light considering its small size.

blazer296

The CandlePowerForum can lead to addiction

X2

I buy hosts to mod to my liking anymore. (Thanks for another bad habit CPF)
2000-3000 lumen in a package smaller than a 2-D Mag easily.

I have somewhere around 20 led lights right now.
My 3 favorites are
my Convoy S3 triple ~2400 lumens (pants pocket EDC),
my SK68 @~600 lumens (rides in my shirt pocket EDC),
and when I really need a "Big" light my built Jax Z1 w/de-domed MTG2 and FET driver running Guppydrv. The Z1 can hit over 3500 lumens on fresh batteries and light targets 750 yards away, but it gets HOT fast running that high.
Can run @ ~1000 for hours on end though.

Now, even though they will run at huge lumen #s, they dont need to most of the time. All 3 have 10%,30%,100% settings. Usually I use 10% as low and 30% as high, rarely flipping to 100%
Once you have a light in your hands that will put out a true 5-6-8 hundred lumens, more is either dazzle or spotlighting.(Candlepower would burn me for saying that:Wow1:) 100 lumens is more than enough for most real everyday uses.

Consider this.............
For many years, Big incandescent Maglights where "THE" light. Even the 6-D cell version where/are far short of 200 lumen.

Still, theres something about being able to light up the entire campsite with my Z1.....

Jim

nwoods

Expedition Leader
My 3 favorites are
my Convoy S3 triple ~2400 lumens (pants pocket EDC),
my SK68 @~600 lumens (rides in my shirt pocket EDC),
and when I really need a "Big" light my built Jax Z1 w/de-domed MTG2 and FET driver running Guppydrv. T

Jim

You carry an SK68 in your shirt pocket? That thing is almost too bulky to consider carrying in my pants pocket. Also, how did you mod it to from 120 lumens to 600 lumens?

sku_39585_7.jpg

blazer296

Nwoods,
The one in that picture is an SK98 for a 18650 battery. Its Very close in length, and a bit fatter than my S3 Tripple.
The SK68 (AA or 14500 battery) size is a good bit smaller, though, to be honest its a bit big (fat) for shirt pocket if it didn't fill the small amount beside my cigs just perfect.

And yes, Skygear got it right,

BLF SK68 driver, custom firmware and 4 extra 7135 chips stacked on for 3+ amp drive on high

De-domed XPG2 R5 A1 on Copper Noctigon

14500 lithium battery

Some mods to the host for fitting issues, and re-focus because the Noctigon is thicker than the original.

I've never tested it as far as output, but several reliable charts have that LED at ~650 lumens OTF @ 3amps, so I figure 600 is a pretty safe bet.

I have built a couple "Copper Smoothies" from scratch. Trying to put a good polish on after working copper makes you notice just how many tool marks you leave behind. Copper is just SO soft as far as a metal.

skygear

I have been itching to make a Dual function light(white, red)/ laser(UV or IR burning). in emergency, a laser is an interesting beacon.
That sounds like an interesting build. Think you can build a dual function light with a decent beam, AND enough power for IR burning with a single battery? I'm not realy up on lasers (dont need another hobby).

My S3 will make people jump if you point it at bare skin from 1/2" away, feels like a lighter that close. I've never managed to light paper with it though, (Yes, a buddy and I got bored while drinking in the shop once and tried.)

Jim

blazer296

Also in that picture, that person has small hands. If I hold my SK98 that way my entire wedding band is still showing.

Sorry, OCD and wondering why that looked huge in that picture.

Jim

blazer296

A couple pictures for size comparison (if I can do this right, kinda computer challenged) .
http://i998.photobucket.com/albums/af101/blazer3664/2013_0908littlecamera0002.jpg

That should be Convoy S2+ short, UltraOK ZS-2 (SK68 clone) Ultrafire SK98 (clone), Convoy S3, and my Jax Z1.
Pall Mall 100's and Altoids tin behind them for size referance.

http://i998.photobucket.com/albums/af101/blazer3664/2013_0908littlecamera0001.jpg

Same lights from the business end, triple XPG2, de-domed XPG2, another de-domed XPG2, another triple, and de-domed MTG2 monster. All run lithium batteries, 18350, 14500 (AA size), 18650, high discharge 18650, and 2X HD 26650's (similar to C size).

The SK builds are identical, except the SK98 can run on high for an hour or so before getting hot enough to need turned down, where the SK68 will only last 10-12 minutes on high before it starts getting pretty warm.
On medium setting (still ~200 lumens) both have several hours of run time.

Jim

nwoods

Expedition Leader
I'm a virgin when it comes to modded flashlights. This whole topic is pretty....illuminating :)

GCL4x4

bought one, gave it away as a gift. bought the non adjustable 18650 for $9 amazon at the time, worked great for a year until solder softened and circuit started to act wonky.

now i have a very reliable nitecore and o-light 2 years now, no issues. I run the nitecore as my sons nightlight its on from 9pm to 7am or when they turn it off past 7am.
lol i've gone home at 7pm and its still on. o-light switch gets kinda funky at times.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
eclipse179