Flatbed Deck Height?

ReluctantTraveler

Looking at yours, the only way I could see getting any lower would be if the camper itself had fender arches to matched a "notched" bed ala:

4N5Bcho8F-REp8iHO8pZm8UhpX6qssGNNYUiLvC8Pbk.jpg

In this way, the flatbed isnt a flatbed. When most people design flatbeds, they want to put stuff over the wheels. With campers, however, we're interested in getting the COG as low as possible while maximizing usable space and lowering entry/egress.

What are the pros/cons of lowering deck height around wheels and building a camper with built in arches?

The main reason I have avoided, looking into something like that is that you’re now in custom, build, or modification territory, which is substantially more expensive than a stock flatbed.

It also makes building the camper itself, more difficult, and means that you can’t easily mount it on a different Flatbed.

PHeller

Adventurer
Here's an example of a 2017 F250 with bed removed, and with a flatbed mock-up installed.

bed_removed_45df22539236bb0511af3fd5e66fba3c6a02bbf2.jpg

flatbed_frame_installed_23011787f5350a507dcabff21ee95ba5b1ad00ed.jpg

As you can see, if a camper was placed directly on the frame rails, you'd be able to step up into it almost like getting into the seat of the truck. Obviously, if the sides were dead flat, you'd also end up with tires eating your camper.

But it gives a good visual example of just how much we're lifting the entire camper in order to clear the tires of the truck under full tuck.

The top of the tires are practically as high, if not a bit higher than the frame rails.

ReluctantTraveler

Here's an example of a 2017 F250 with bed removed, and with a flatbed mock-up installed.

bed_removed_45df22539236bb0511af3fd5e66fba3c6a02bbf2.jpg

flatbed_frame_installed_23011787f5350a507dcabff21ee95ba5b1ad00ed.jpg

As you can see, if a camper was placed directly on the frame rails, you'd be able to step up into it almost like getting into the seat of the truck. Obviously, if the sides were dead flat, you'd also end up with tires eating your camper.

But it gives a good visual example of just how much we're lifting the entire camper in order to clear the tires of the truck under full tuck.

The top of the tires are practically as high, if not a bit higher than the frame rails.
Oh for sure! And what you're suggesting doing is basically what towable campers do with the A-frame. I think it's a great option if you don't plan to remove the camper much or will always have it wedded to that truck.

And maybe even if neither of those are true, the tradeoff might still be worth it.

ReluctantTraveler

The main reason I have avoided, looking into something like that is that you’re now in custom, build, or modification territory, which is substantially more expensive than a stock flatbed.

It also makes building the camper itself, more difficult, and means that you can’t easily mount it on a different Flatbed.
Sorry! My voice-to-text thing on my phone keeps adding tons of needless commas!

PHeller

Adventurer

That makes sense.

My thought is, if you're building a DIY Hardshell camper, building a flatbed probably isn't a ton more work. Flatbed functional requirements are pretty simple, but they get hella expensive trying to look nice.

A company called Sherptek does build flatbed with wheel arches. They intend for their customers to use traditional slide-in bed campers. I'm inquiring if they can go lower.

PHeller

Adventurer
To be fair, when campers are removed, we're typically not sliding them off the flatbed like a dump truck. We lift them and drive out from under them. With wheel arches incorporated into the camper box, you just lift it a bit further.

As mentioned elsewhere, the challenges becomes in finding a pre-built camper to fit such a flatbed. You either need to go for a slider-in bed camper (with the advantage being a lower COG) or a custom built box.

ReluctantTraveler

That makes sense.

My thought is, if you're building a DIY Hardshell camper, building a flatbed probably isn't a ton more work. Flatbed functional requirements are pretty simple, but they get hella expensive trying to look nice.

A company called Sherptek does build flatbed with wheel arches. They intend for their customers to use traditional slide-in bed campers. I'm inquiring if they can go lower.
Ohh, will you report back what you hear?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Smudge12