Fleet on a 96-04 Tacoma?

NothingClever

Explorer
Does anybody have a picture?

I have an opportunity to buy a Fleet or an Eagle and I'm a bit torn.

I understand the Fleet is 75" wide above the bed and the Eagle is 69" wide above the bed but despite walking around my '02 Taco with a tape measure, I'm having trouble visualizing whether the wider Fleet will be awkward or not.

And yes, I've sent a note to FWC asking for a photo(s) but it seems to me camper manfuacturers are notorious for taking primarily oblique shots which makes it difficult to visualize the true width.

Here's the best shot I've been able to find...but it's an older Tundra, not a Tacoma.

http://www.wanderthewest.com/forum/index.php?/topic/2669/page__hl__fleet__fromsearch__1

Thanks.

Last edited:

kcowyo

ExPo Original
B - I looked through my stuff for you, but I can't find a pic of a Fleet on that generation of Tacoma...

'Awkward' looking on the outside maybe, but more interior space is always a good thing... If I find a pic, I'll send it your way.

NothingClever

Explorer
Hi KC,

No sweat...I think I'll be the first one to post some hi-res photos of this configuration.

I say I think because I was in a PayPal race today and I haven't heard back from the seller if I crossed the finish line first today or not.

NothingClever

Explorer
I'm the winner :smiley_drive: .

Pick up is 3d week of June in the San Fran bay area followed by a vacation in western/southern Colorado.

Last edited:

tanglefoot

ExPoseur
I'm not sure if the post changed recently, but when I followed that wanderthewest link, the very first post from Stan has pictures of the Fleet on a current gen Tacoma. I saw the Tundra pictures in post #3.

Enjoy the camper. I have a wider camper than that on a narrower truck and I don't consider it awkward. Looks like a great camper--congrats!

Eric

NothingClever

Explorer
That first post in the link (with 3 pics) is a 2nd Gen Taco. BTW, that's actually the camper I found and purchased although the later pictures of the interior in the post are MUCH different than the interior of the Fleet shown on the Taco. Mine has the dinette option (and different upholstery) which was a dealmaker for me. I'm putting it on my 1st Gen Taco which has somewhat narrower exterior bed dimensions. I've been paying attention to campers a lot lately out on the highway and given all the WIIIIIIIIIIDE loads I've seen lately, I'm no longer concerned about the overhang of the Fleet on an older Taco.

NothingClever

Explorer
The extra wide dimensions of the Fleet on a 1st Gen Tacoma are quite manageable and the extension out of the bed is much more negligeble than I anticipated :victory: .

IMGP1431.jpg

IMGP1441.jpg

IMGP1444.jpg

tanglefoot

ExPoseur
Wow--great looking combo! I bet that's a whole mess of fun!
The Fleet looks shorter than I imagined--it barly looks longer than an Eagle.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Smudge12