Flemster's 22 Ram 3500 Build - Sherpa Edition

UglyViking

And by engineers, I am referring to engineers with an actual engineering degree picked from within the automotive industry. I understand your confusion since people through around the term engineer and engineering like it is nothing. I am talking about the real thing.

Regarding testing airflow and other details, when all of your gear is subjected to SAE testing, all critical details are tested. Who else subjects their systems to SAE testing besides AEV?
I won't muddy this thread too much, since it's not my thread, but I'll say these two items.

#1 - I work in tech. I've worked closely with those that are college educated in comp sci, from a bachelors all the way to PHDs. In my experience there is little correlation with someone holding a degree and someones ability to create good code and solve problems in novel ways.

#2 - Again, my comment wasn't about SAE testing, but about the fact that you're making a statement that only AEV will provide you adequate airflow, but that would indicate that testing has been done to show the numerous aftermarket bumpers don't provide adequate airflow. Just because the AEV bumper has been tested to work, doesn't mean the others don't.

I wanted to let everyone know that The Diablo Rack for the 5th Gen Ram 2500-3500 is live! Currently, just the cab light version is available but are working on no cab lights as well as Mega Cab.

Also, I wanted to throw in some recent shots from a trip to Southwest Utah.

As a whole, I'm still very impressed with the capabilities of this truck. Killed it in mud and some mild offroading this last week. About to tick over 20k miles since picking it up in October.
52786408199_9dffa3c9a9_c.jpg 52786571310_ceeff26eec_c.jpg
52786624758_27bb599d71_c.jpg 52786570410_c49dbcc44a_c.jpg52786623418_030084f62c_c.jpg 52786623213_e0ff66283a_c.jpg52786622368_678b833874_c.jpg 52785617887_6f6ac448b8_c.jpg
52789170755_bffb69d1ec_c.jpg 52788224142_9b363a7159_c.jpg

I've been continuing to use and abuse this truck and loving it. 25,000 miles on the odo, 8,000 of those towing 10k plus. A good bit of offroad miles and so far no major issues. I have had the truck in once for a surging issue and they updated the TCM and now it's golden. The only thing I need to track down is a rattling bearing noise when turning in 4wd at low speeds. It's pretty much done it since I got it but is progressively getting worse.

52993771695_021e3c8b21_c.jpg
52988220750_330c226b51_c.jpg
52943703383_074b26ba4a_c.jpg
52975677253_0436b01cd0_c.jpg
52975218771_843ffae9f4_c.jpg
52956247711_28a3551b46_c.jpg52988308308_4158687052_c.jpg

No Ma

Wonderer
I've been continuing to use and abuse this truck and loving it. 25,000 miles on the odo, 8,000 of those towing 10k plus. A good bit of offroad miles and so far no major issues. I have had the truck in once for a surging issue and they updated the TCM and now it's golden. The only thing I need to track down is a rattling bearing noise when turning in 4wd at low speeds. It's pretty much done it since I got it but is progressively getting worse.
It might be the front driveshaft if you're still running the stock one. We had a rattling (almost grinding) noise when turning in 4wd with our 2022 Ram 3500 diesel as well. Also heard it occasionally when the suspension flexed enough in 4wd.

It started after our build which includes the 3.25" Carli Pintop and 37" tires. After a lot of testing/troubleshooting, it turned out to be the rzeppa joint on the transfer case side of the front driveshaft. Replacing it with a double cardan driveshaft solved the problem. Part of the troubleshooting included rotating the transfer case to reduce the angle of the driveshaft/differential connections. We did that before replacing the driveshaft, but with the stock shaft, it still rattled when turning in 4wd. We left the clocking kit on the transfer case with the new driveshaft for the improved driveline angles, but that mod might not have been needed.

It might be the front driveshaft if you're still running the stock one. We had a rattling (almost grinding) noise when turning in 4wd with our 2022 Ram 3500 diesel as well. Also heard it occasionally when the suspension flexed enough in 4wd.

It started after our build which includes the 3.25" Carli Pintop and 37" tires. After a lot of testing/troubleshooting, it turned out to be the rzeppa joint on the transfer case side of the front driveshaft. Replacing it with a double cardan driveshaft solved the problem. Part of the troubleshooting included rotating the transfer case to reduce the angle of the driveshaft/differential connections. We did that before replacing the driveshaft, but with the stock shaft, it still rattled when turning in 4wd. We left the clocking kit on the transfer case with the new driveshaft for the improved driveline angles, but that mod might not have been needed.
This is in fact my issue as well. I was doing a good bit of research after my dealer told me its Carli's fault for having too gnarly of a driveline angle (it's not bad at all) and I came across a TSB that has the exact issue. I'm currently waiting on my dealer to review it and get back to me but sounds like I might be able to have the driveshaft replaced under warranty which will be awesome.

"Some customers may experience a ratcheting type click noise from the front axle/driveline while turning in 4WD. The noise can be heard in both 4WD high and low, while making both right and left, moderate to hard, turns. There will not be any Diagnostic Trouble Codes (DTCs) setting when this occurs.

Repair Procedure: 1. Replace the front driveshaft. For detailed repair procedures refer to Service Library Service Information Section 03 – Differential Driveline > Driveshaft > Shaft, Drive, Front > Removal and Installation."

No Ma

Wonderer
This is in fact my issue as well. I was doing a good bit of research after my dealer told me its Carli's fault for having too gnarly of a driveline angle (it's not bad at all) and I came across a TSB that has the exact issue. I'm currently waiting on my dealer to review it and get back to me but sounds like I might be able to have the driveshaft replaced under warranty which will be awesome.
The shop that did our work told me that they had seen (heard) the same problem on a number of other Rams, but they saw it more frequently on a couple combinations of model and year. Lifted 2022 3500s were definitely one of them whether it was a Carli or AEV lift. Sounded like some change in the rzeppa joint might have occurred (different part, bad run of parts, different supplier...).

Saw a preliminary notice from Ram when they were investigating the problem earlier this year. Good to see that they are going to replace the driveshaft under warranty. An improved CV joint in the replacement driveshaft could fix the problem for you and quite a few other owners who actually off-road their trucks.

UglyViking

It's sad to see so many issues with the transmissions and now the Cummins on the 2022+ HD's.
To be fair, the trans issue was due to a snap ring that affected only the Aisin and only for a few months of production. It's really sad for sure, but it's also a small blimp. I haven't heard of any specific engine issues with the 22s, although I know there have been issues with the hydraulic lifters because guys ignore the oil weight change either from ignorance or pride.

Tex68w

Beach Bum
To be fair, the trans issue was due to a snap ring that affected only the Aisin and only for a few months of production. It's really sad for sure, but it's also a small blimp. I haven't heard of any specific engine issues with the 22s, although I know there have been issues with the hydraulic lifters because guys ignore the oil weight change either from ignorance or pride.

The Cummins issue is the grid heater bolt that fails and falls into the intake and eventually the cylinder.

UglyViking

The Cummins issue is the grid heater bolt that fails and falls into the intake and eventually the cylinder.
Oh, yeah. I'll fully admit that may be an issue, but the number of times that actually happens is so so so exceptionally small. That grid heater bolt thing has been discussed to death for a decade or more at this point.

Tex68w

Beach Bum
I'm gonna rock my grid heater bolt till it takes out the block! Only way to go out is with a big bang. Hopefully it's at 3k rpm, on a 39% grade, with the 40's eating hard! 🤣🤣🤣

Yours is safe, 2021-23 models only. But should you decide to grenade yours in spectacular fashion please get it on video for the rest of us lol.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Deleman