Flexible Panel Installed!!

shays4me

Willing Wanderer
I finally got sick of waiting on warm weather and installed my Renogy black 100 watt panel today. It was sunny and in the fifties, which isn't warm enough for the 3m vhb tape to get a full stick (3m suggests 70's) so I'll let the Jeep sit for a few days and let the sun do it's thing. I mostly wanted to post this for other newbs to the whole solar thing on how I did it. I applied the tape to my fiberglass roof by cleaning the ridges on the top with acetone and then rolling the tape down with my wife's rolling pin (pro tip, ask permission first). Next I cleaned the back of the solar panel with the acetone and then, after removing the film on the tape, made sure to get it perfectly aligned and set it on the exposed tape. I used a pencil to mark where the panel went before I started the whole taping process and that helped a lot during the install. This VHB tape is seriously sticky stuff once you get it exposed and I think it will work great! I will update this thread if the panel should somehow blow off and become a kite while going down the road.
IMG-0890.jpg

shays4me

Willing Wanderer
Sikaflex works amazingly well also. That's what I used to mount my dual 105W Sunflare Explor panels. Just be sure to have a dedicated pair of pants and shirt, the stuff seems to get all over you when working with it. At least that happens to me every time I crack open a tube.

I've heard of that stuff before. If it's like anything else I do I'd have it everywhere, lol!

NOPEC

I've heard of that stuff before. If it's like anything else I do I'd have it everywhere, lol!

Are you are concerned about any lift while driving if air is able to go under the panel on the leading edge?

The airflow would be great for cooling but not so good if it is applying any type of upward force against the bottom of the panel.

Filling in the front area of the panel/roof junction at the low spots on the roof profile, might give some piece of mind. Of course, Sikaflex would be perfect for this task.

Last edited:

shays4me

Willing Wanderer
Are you are concerned about any lift while driving if air is able to go under the panel on the leading edge?

The airflow would be great for cooling but no so good if it is applying any type of upward force against the bottom of the panel.

Filling in the front area of the panel/roof junction at the low spots on the roof profile, might give some piece of mind. Of course, Sikaflex would be perfect for this task.
I wasn't concerned but maybe I should be! I'll keep an eye on it when I finally go for a drive.

Wallygator

Adventurer
I agree with putting something on the leading edge. I have this stuff (see link) on the leading edge of my solar panel which is also attached using VHB. It's a "normal" panel and is attached using the 4 mounts that came with it. I also put the Eternabond over the mounts and VHB. Have had zero issues.

There is a youtuber that did his this way and he is going on 5 years with no issues.

They also make it in white.

shays4me

Willing Wanderer
Well it all survived the first drive on a windy day. I took the Jeep to town and back with zero drama. I did reroute my wiring though as I wasn't happy with how it was laid out.

Ozarker

Pontoon Admiral
I'll be using VHB tape for panels on the toyhauler. On the leading edge I'm using corner wall protectors, then setting the panel on top of that and tapping both sides, this is 2 3/8 inch on Amazon.

I thought about using PVC gutters, turn them over a cut them in half and you will get a curved relief to use the same way. Corner protectors are cheaper and durable. :cool:

1680464918943.png

87Warrior

GP'er
I had 3M VHB tape fail on me after 3 years on the roof of my Land Cruiser.

This is how I installed the panel.
00000PORTRAIT_00000_BURST20200301162626173.jpg

The flexible panel adhered over the inoperable sunroof on my 100 series. The tape failed on I70 coming into Limon, CO at 75mph into a 35mph head wind. The corner of the panel that was leading into the headwind came up and folded 1/2 of the panel over. It separated quickly and I needed a clean pair of shorts when it let go and started slapping the roof. The 3M separated from the painted sheet metal, not the panel.

Obviously this was installed by myself, a DIY'er with a can do attitude. I cleaned both the panel and roof surface/sunroof glass with alcohol then covered the bottom of the panel with 1" wide VHB strips. I was surprised at how easily the VHB pulled up from the painted roof. It took a lot more effort to pull it off the sunroof glass and was almost impossible to remove from the Eternabond tape I have sealing the sunroof. I've since moved to a rigid panel that is bolted to the roof rack...
PXL_20220401_002842421.NIGHT.jpg

The big crease in the middle of the panel is from me folding it over at the truck stop so it would stick to itself (and not to my gear) when I tossed it in the back. The front passenger corner is where it lifted from the vehicle. I have no idea what I did wrong, but the VHB tape is not as fool proof as some may suggest.

Wallygator

Adventurer
I had 3M VHB tape fail on me after 3 years on the roof of my Land Cruiser.

This is how I installed the panel.
View attachment 771706

The flexible panel adhered over the inoperable sunroof on my 100 series. The tape failed on I70 coming into Limon, CO at 75mph into a 35mph head wind. The corner of the panel that was leading into the headwind came up and folded 1/2 of the panel over. It separated quickly and I needed a clean pair of shorts when it let go and started slapping the roof. The 3M separated from the painted sheet metal, not the panel.

Obviously this was installed by myself, a DIY'er with a can do attitude. I cleaned both the panel and roof surface/sunroof glass with alcohol then covered the bottom of the panel with 1" wide VHB strips. I was surprised at how easily the VHB pulled up from the painted roof. It took a lot more effort to pull it off the sunroof glass and was almost impossible to remove from the Eternabond tape I have sealing the sunroof. I've since moved to a rigid panel that is bolted to the roof rack...
View attachment 771705

The big crease in the middle of the panel is from me folding it over at the truck stop so it would stick to itself (and not to my gear) when I tossed it in the back. The front passenger corner is where it lifted from the vehicle. I have no idea what I did wrong, but the VHB tape is not as fool proof as some may suggest.

It's not, that's why it's good to use both VHB and eternabond. IMO.

Pacific Northwest yetti

Expedition Medic
3M Duralock strips, and leading edge eternabond tape. I have three this way on top of my pop up. Its been that way 5+ years and working great.

My Brother also owns and runs a shop that installs flexible panels this way and has done way north of a few thousand with no issues.

broncobowsher

Adventurer
VHB notice...
Most of the stuff you find is cheap counterfeit junk. The only reliable source I have found for real VHB tape is McMaster. Having worked with the real and the fake stuff, there is a HUGE difference. Too many people buy tape that says VHB on it, have issues, blame the tape as not being that good. Reality is they never started with real VHB.

Pacific Northwest yetti

Expedition Medic
VHB notice...
Most of the stuff you find is cheap counterfeit junk. The only reliable source I have found for real VHB tape is McMaster. Having worked with the real and the fake stuff, there is a HUGE difference. Too many people buy tape that says VHB on it, have issues, blame the tape as not being that good. Reality is they never started with real VHB.
Could be said for a lot of brands. Just have to pay attention. Even 3M has an amazon store with their products.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mitch Bears