Flexible platform for storage and sleeping

bdutch

Thanks for all that contributed by posting their designs. It helped me a lot.
I have a Toyota FZJ76 that I use as daily driver. My vehicle must remain suitable for 4 persons in case I ever get some paying passengers (doing photography trips in Jordan).

20130505rumclean159.jpg

I camp out frequently in Jordan and sleep in my tent most of the time. However, I have it in my mind to make a long trip sometime to somewhere. In that case I wanted to create something that would allow me to sleep in the car.
There are limited resources in Jordan and most offroaders are not as advanced as on this forum. Most of the time you spent looking for parts and people that can do the work for you. No online ordering with home delivery or even yellow pages!

I started of with a frame that uses only the bolts of the removed back seats.

20130516_142026.jpg

Brackets were made on the spot by a friend who owns a shop for metal works.

20130122_143554.jpg

Next was an additional platform that can rest on the back seats whenever I need a sleeping platform. Normally this is stored behind the backseat.

20130516_142033.jpg

In case I need to extend my loading platform, I put the (folded) platform on the lowered backseats, tighten it with straps.

20130516_142203.jpg

When I want to use it as a bed, I move the front seats forward and unfold the platform. This will give me a bed of 2 meters long.

20130516_142406.jpg

20130516_142439.jpg

Next will be some kind of support bracket behind the front seats, but I have tested this and so far it works, even with my 1.9m and 110kg body :)
Once finished, a drawer will follow for the back.

Any suggestions to improve this setup would be greatly appreciated. In particular I'm looking for ideas to replace the piano hinges as they are not very strong.

Last edited:

Desert Dan

Explorer
That looks great.
It is always nice to have the option to sleep inside the vehicle especially without totally unpacking.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taunger