Flip-pac camper build

spencyg

This Space For Rent
I'm glad you started with epoxy! Now, you should know that polyester based fillers or resin WON'T stick to epoxy at all...it just cracks, splits, and falls off. You've already identified that the kitty hair was poly based...make sure the other pail of filler is epoxy based and not poly. Also, as I mentioned before, the random-fiber fiberglass mat (as opposed to bidirectional cloth) isn't compatable with epoxy. you mentioned the use of mat, and even though I'm pretty sure you used cloth, I wanted to make sure.

Spence

compactcamping

Explorer
If it's a localized problem in a few spots, most likely is the filler. Blush will feel waxy / oily on the surface, it is a very, very thin film. As noted, it gums up sandpaper when sanding. The faster cure hardeners tend to blush more, so it's not necessarily temp related. Some brands are worst that others, what brand resin are you using?

If the plywood isn't sealed well on all sides you could be seeing expansion /shrinkage.

Bella PSD

Explorer
I went out today to work on the 2 M416’s I have stored at the farm and survived the damage to the camper also stored there. The Flip Pac is stored outside right now. The cracking/shrinking/peeling is about the same but larger now. Its growing slowly but surly. I was so disgusted I did not even get a picture!

Time to regroup! I think I will start with removing everything on the back of the camper. Recover the framework with something treated and/or compatible with the finished skin. That skin may still be fiberglass or something else. But this is my “new” starting point.

The Adam Blaster

Expedition Leader
I just read through this whole thread and started thinking about the cracking issue...

Is it possible when the overnight/heater testing was done that the heat on the inside of the camper combined with the outside colder temperatures, could there have been some moisture that got sucked into the plywood?
Then after the back wall was sealed up, the moisture might have gotten trapped in there?

Maybe after the back wall is torn apart, an indoor drying process might be a necessity?

Bella PSD

Explorer
The more I think about it I think it was using the aged (1950's) plywood that is the problem. Its just not holding up. Maybe the old red oak plywood is delaminating on its own under the stress of being in a flexing camper along with the weather changes.

Bella PSD

Explorer
Corolla to the Cap

As you have already noticed, I have been building a camper. Well that camper has a purpose, and that's to camp! So its time for a trip report with the new, albeit unfinished, Flip Pac camper. I have titled this trip Corolla to the Cap but we have a few side trips as well. Hopefully the pictures will give you a sense of what its like to run the entire length of the Outer Banks. You will not see any pictures of to many hotels or strip malls, just the parts of OBX I want to remember.
OBX%20NC%2007%20calender.jpg

We have traveled Corolla to the Cap three times now. The pictures below are a culmination of all three trips. I was never planning to right up anything like this so I have pieced together what I could after the fact.

So you might be asking what is Corolla and the Cape. The Cape I refer to is not Cape horn or Cape Town. It's Cape Lookout National Seashore, the Southern most point on the Outer Banks. Corolla, North Carolina is the furthest Northern community of the Outer banks. Corolla is just south of Virginia's False Cape State Park. The trip from Corolla to the Cap takes about 3 days to do it right. It's about 170 miles just to drive it with no off-roading. Add in the Corolla 4wd beach and all the access roads from Ocracoke, Oregon Inlet, Hatteras and the Core banks and your looking at well over another 100 miles off road. You will need to take 3 ferries.
OBX%20map.jpg

With the beach, solitude, camping and wild horses in our thoughts we head east from our SW Ohio home town. It's about 700 miles for us, so we split the driving into two days. On the second day, as we cross the Wright Memorial Bridge, we get a taste of the salt air. We are in luck as the traffic is light on the bridge. Plan accordingly to hit the bridge at a good time. At times the back up can be hours. About half way across the Bridge, I remind my three girls that the Wright Brothers are from Dayton Ohio!

Now it gets good! NC Highway 12 north here we come! We head North on HW 12 through Southern Shores and Duck NC on our way to Corolla NC. In the town of Corolla we get some last minute food and supplies, air down our tires and then hit the four-wheel drive beach.
North_Carolina_2008_trip_374.jpg

Low tide is the best time to come up the coast on the beach for most 4wd trucks. But its OK about anytime, you just might end up having to drive in the deeper sand up off the water line. And the churned up sand can get deep. We have rescued plenty of trucks, a few Hondas and a mini van or two. Not to the liking of the local towing company, they get $100-$300 per tow. And that price is just to get you un-stuck! One gentleman from Australia owes me a beer if I ever run into him down under. He was very grateful to get his brother in laws borrowed Pontiac Montana out of the sand!
North_Carolina_2008_trip_409.jpg

Once you are off the beach and on the back roads, you can navigate for what seems to be hundreds of miles. These sand roads lead to the only place to stay on the beach; you guessed it, beach rental homes. No camping is allowed in this area at all. As you explore the back roads be VERY careful of the water crossings or the “mud holes”. They have been known to be very deep! The deepest I went through seemed to be about 2-3 feet deep. But I went around them when I could.
North_Carolina_2008_trip_345.jpg

So the next best thing to camping…..and the only thing in Corolla.
North_Carolina_2008_trip_020.jpg

The horses were walking by in the photo. That's what everyone is looking at.
North_Carolina_2008_trip_021.jpg

What I enjoy about coming to Corolla is the lack of any retail anything! No gas stations, strip malls, roads and no Wal-Mart! Just beach and the beach homes over the dunes. Oh and one more thing…..WILD HORSES!
North_Carolina_2008_trip_330.jpg

North_Carolina_2008_trip_033.jpg

Just about every day we “camp out” on the beach and do what most do while at the beach.
DSCN3121.jpg

Last edited:

Bella PSD

Explorer
Just about every day we “camp out” on the beach and do what most do while at the beach.
North_Carolina_2008_trip_438.jpg

North_Carolina_2008_trip_446.jpg

Each day, a few hours before dusk, we drive back to the house and eat dinner. Its not hard getting the kids off the beach because they KNOW what's coming next!! Dusk on the Corolla 4WD beach…
North_Carolina_2008_trip_086.jpg

North_Carolina_2008_trip_109.jpg

North_Carolina_2008_trip_125.jpg

North_Carolina_2008_trip_197.jpg

Corolla is the starting point for out excursion from the North 4WD beach to Cape Lookout. We are at Corolla for a week, but sadly the time to depart comes to soon. A few of our newfound friends greet us as we head south!
North_Carolina_2008_trip_251.jpg

North_Carolina_2008_trip_472.jpg

As we hit paved road again, we air up our tires and prepare for a leisure day driving the Outer Banks. We drive back through Duck and head south towards Kitty Hawk on HW 12.

Picture of Currituck Beach Light Station
North_Carolina_2008_trip_498.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: plh

Bella PSD

Explorer
Around lunchtime we stop at Nags Head. Also a good place to pick up any last minute supplies as we enter Bodie Island. From here on south we leave behind all the strip malls and tee shirt stands. I have been told the fishing is good at the Oregon Inlet and there is beach access there as well.

As we cross the Oregon Inlet Bridge we enter the Pea Island National Wildlife Refuge, things look much different. This is what I was hoping for: miles and miles of beach, with not much else! A few small towns on the way south like Salvo and Avon NC, are a great places to visit.

Here are a few pictures from a stop at Hatteras Light house and poser picture of the truck at Cape Hatteras beach access right about at the point.
OBX%20NC%2007%20155.jpg

OBX%20NC%2007%20162.jpg

Poser picture of the truck at Cape Hatteras
DSCN3227.jpg

We travel from the lighthouse to the town of Hatteras were we relax and wait for the ferry. A good time to walk the town or get some local seafood.

The next few pictures give you an idea of the first of 3 ferry rides we will take. This ferry departs from Hatteras Island to Ocracoke Island.
North_Carolina_2008_trip_505.jpg

North_Carolina_2008_trip_514.jpg

DSCN3230.jpg

DSCN3236.jpg

DSCN3242.jpg

DSCN3265.jpg

Last edited:

Bella PSD

Explorer
We try to camp once we get to Ocracoke Island. At this point its been a long trip. Nothing better than setting up camp for a good night sleep.

One night I will never forget was on our fist night camping at NPS Ocracoke camp. It was late, almost dark when we drove off the ferry. We head straight for the NPS camp. We checked in and started setting up in the dark. About ½ hour later its lights out time in the Flip Pac. Just before I shut the lights off I look out the back window and couldn't believe what I was seeing. What seems to be Christmas tree lights twinkling in the trees behind us. I quickly realize it was millions of fireflies. Now I live in Ohio and we have our share of fireflies but NEVER like this, WOW! I have everyone look out at our good night send off from the local Ocracoke fireflies. Kids were amazed. So I am thinking it dose not get any better than that after a long day on the road…..but as I shut the lights off I get a real shock, the entire Flip Pac tent is covered with Fireflies lighting up the tent. It was like the lights were still on. The kids at this point are just speechless. No better way to end a day of exploring!

For some reason I end up doing all the cooking when we camp?? At home I never cook anything at all. Here are some eggs about to be scrambled. Those baby birds (Kids) look hungry.
DSCN3269.jpg

A few pictures of the NPS Ocracoke campground. Did I mention its right on the ocean!
DSCN3270.jpg

DSCN3271.jpg

Now as luck would have it, we kept hearing all this talk about Ocracoke the few days before we arrive. What’s the big deal? Ocracoke beach was voted the #1 beach in the world. That’s right, this out of the way, hard to get to beach won the top prize. All I could think was the secret is out, next comes the go cart track and Mall-mart! But it seems to be fine in Ocracoke a few years after the award! GOOD!
DSCN3295.jpg

DSCN3301.jpg

DSCN3309.jpg

One thing I have learned is EVEYTHING in a camper needs to be secured or it will look like this! After driving down the Ocracoke access road to the beach we got the truck bouncing pretty good at one deep spot of sand. I opened up to this mess.
DSCN3315.jpg

One last shot of the #1 beach for me! I have been to Bermuda’s horseshoe bay, Maui, the Bahamas, FL beaches and so on. The beach at Ocracoke wins hands down!
DSCN3323.jpg

The lighthouses keep on coming. One more we visited at Ocracoke.
DSCN3324_1.jpg

Driving through the town of Ocracoke at dusk. Trying to make the last ferry of the night!!!! Not a bad place to miss a ferry, IMO!
DSCN3330.jpg

Last edited:

Bella PSD

Explorer
DSCN3255.jpg

Someone's happy we made that last ferry. We are Core Banks bound.
North_Carolina_2008_trip_526.jpg

No better way to travel, sit back and relax for a few hours. It's a loooong ride!
North_Carolina_2008_trip_523.jpg

DSCN3341.jpg

North_Carolina_2008_trip_532.jpg

North_Carolina_2008_trip_538.jpg

North_Carolina_2008_trip_544.jpg

The ferry takes you southwest and makes landfall at Cedar Island NC. When you arrive at Cedar Island you will see two things right away. One, a questionable hotel called the Driftwood Motel and two, an unknown camp ground across the street. The few times through here we have opted for the hotel at about $75. It's usually been a few days of traveling, camping, and eating on the road to get to this point. Not to mention the only bathing to this point has been the ocean. And it's your last stop before the Core Banks. Basically this is your last time for a hot shower, nice bed, AC and a restaurant for quit some time. The Driftwood staff is friendly and helpful. They even put our ice cooler in their walk in cooler overnight and filled it up with ice before we headed out the next morning! On our second stay we were able to get an end room to run AC to charge the camper batteries. It's not the best place ever but the next closest place is hours away!
DSCN3357.jpg

Read the duck-cleaning note, to funny!
DSCN3359.jpg

Bella PSD

Explorer
AC cord run to charge camper batteries
North_Carolina_2008_trip_551.jpg

The big day!!

After about a 20-mile drive from the Driftwood or the Cedar Island ferry landing you will be a Davis NC. When HW 70 turns right you go straight. Willis Road will be on your left, turn here and drive to the ferry office.

Here is the info on the ferry

Departures from Davis__________Returns from Great Island
7:00 am______________________8:00 am
9:00 am_____________________ 10:00 am
11:00 am_____________________12:00 noon
1:00 pm______________________2:00 pm
4:00 pm______________________5:00 pm

Vehicles (Round Trip)
Under 20 feet____________$75.00
Over 20 feet to 24 feet____$95.00

Passengers (Round Trip)
Age 11 and older_________$14.00
Age 5 to 11______________$7.00
Under Age 5______________FREE

Trailers cost to…call and ask!!

And the web site
http://www.davisferry.com/

Four truck ferry at best. Our truck is so big they only load three.
North_Carolina_2008_trip_554.jpg

And it’s a tight fit to say the least!!
DSCN3369.jpg

DSCN3498_1.jpg

On one trip we were hanging off the back of the ferry. The gate would not even come up but about 1/3rd the way up. Makes for a fun picture!!
DSCN3362.jpg

DSCN3367_1.jpg

Good time to air down
DSCN3364.jpg

20 minutes into the 30 minute crossing of the Core Sound you start to clearly see land!!
North_Carolina_2008_trip_585.jpg

The dock at South Core Banks. The NPS officer is often there to greet newcomers. In this photo he is “undercover”……can you spot him?
North_Carolina_2008_trip_591.jpg

About to unload off the ferry. Notice the parts box and new tire and rim. Just keep in mind that if you break something out here, it’s a long way for parts. The rim and tire was for someone with a flat, I was told?? No spare a guess. The box had some parts for someone. It was Fed Exed to the ferry office and then sent out to the island.
North_Carolina_2008_trip_596.jpg

As you drive off the ferry you will drive through the primitive cabin area. After this you’re on you own. Just mile after mile of beach to explore!

Bella PSD

Explorer
This picture is at the point of Cape Lookout. Not one person here!! Although there was a few campers 100 yards behind us.
DSCN3376.jpg

This was going to be a great spot to camp. Until we got stuck up to the axle up by a dune in the loose, unpack, blowing sand. Had to dig out and move on. Luckily it only took about 20 minutes. **If this happens to you, make sure to cover up the holes to not impede the nesting turtles!!**
DSCN3391.jpg

I love the diamond pattern on the Cape Lookout lighthouse!! My favorite of all the OBX lighthouses is CALO.
DSCN3383.jpg

Here is a shot of our rig from the dune side of the island. We were out hiking and one good thing about red is it's easy to spot. This picture and the sun set picture also shows the beauty on both sides of the dunes.
DSCN3386.jpg

OBX%20NC%2007%20214.jpg

Our favorite spot. No I am not going to give out GPS on this one!! Its all ours….Just kidding of course. It's very easy to find, just look for the only picnic table within 30 miles. No clue how it ended up here but I am glad it's here. This is a nice spot because it's up off the beach in a cove of semi hard sand. Protected from the blowing sand and back far away from hi tide. Plus you get the ONLY table within 30 miles on the beach.
DSCN3397_1.jpg

DSCN3406.jpg

DSCN3412.jpg

DSCN3419.jpg

Last edited:

Bella PSD

Explorer
Those darn kids like their bacon and eggs…..
DSCN3400.jpg

DSCN3414_1.jpg

Now is a good time to talk about the raccoons. The Core Banks Raccoons are smart, very smart. Like most camps the raccoons make there way at night looking for food. One night, I believe our second time out to the Core Bank, a raccoon decides to try and get some food out of our screen room. I watch that bandit trying to get into the screen thinking he is going to claw his way in. About the time I am going to yell at him he takes his nose and paw and unzips the door!! Smart raccoon or lucky?? Luckily for me I had all the food sealed up good. They don’t seem to come back if they fail once. I watch him leave, lie back down, laugh and try to get to sleep. About 3 minutes later I jump up 2 feet being awaken by the raccoon again trying to get at the bag of trash I forgot about on the front window of the truck. Keep in mind I was sleeping with my head about 18” from that bag. He tried to run off with it but I scared him pretty good being so close. He ran off and never came back till next year. Point being they WILL come to see you. Our closest neighbors camping about a mile down on the beach lost all their food.
North_Carolina_2008_trip_601.jpg

This is the view from the table camp spot. This is looking out from the rear screen of the Flip Pac camper.
DSCN3481.jpg

The solitude is amazing if you think about it. This is the east coast and about as good as a beach as you will ever see. I can sometimes walk for hours and not see anyone.
Pano%20Core%20Banks.jpg

North_Carolina_2008_trip_605.jpg

The shells! What can I say except they are EVERYWHERE! At first you want to get out and move them so not to drive on them. But there are just too many. We collected about 50 or so big shells. I think the limit is a 5 gallon bucket per person. We were well within the limit.
OBX%20NC%2007%20234.jpg

Camp picture looking east towards the rising sun.
North_Carolina_2008_trip_611.jpg

Let this be a warning to come prepared!!!
DSCN3380.jpg

One quick tip. Don't bring a dog! It’s not going to be fun for them. They must be on a leash at ALL TIMES!! If not you could face a $150 fine and asked to leave on the spot. The Park rangers don’t seem to mess around with this one because of all the endangered animals and nesting that goes on year round. We left Cape Lookout a little early on one of our trips. Leaving early mainly because the dogs were miserable! Tied up out in the heat, the bugs ate them up and those damn seagulls would taunt them endlessly. Image being a dog on a deserted beach with miles of room to run and YOU CAN”T!

The dogs were not happy in this picture!
North_Carolina_2008_trip_614.jpg

Bella PSD

Explorer
Corolla to the Cap

I will let the next two pictures speak for themselves. Sunset is just amazing here!!
OBX%20NC%2007%20170.jpg

OBX%20NC%2007%20192.jpg

Packing up our Pirate booty in preparation to leaving.
DSCN3484_1.jpg

We all need to clean up before heading out. There are bathhouses at the ferry landing but what fun is that. Bath time!! Don't call child services on me; She was laughing the whole time. My wife thinks it looks like I am about to throw her in…
DSCN3486_1.jpg

As the golden light turns to cobalt blue we settle in for the night.
OBX%20NC%2007%20180.jpg

OBX%20NC%2007%20224.jpg

The dark blue sky quickly gave way to black, and lighthouse had one last treat in store; our own personal nightlight, keeping time circling every 13 seconds through the night.
OBX%20NC%2007%20231.jpg

A visually reminder as we leave the Core Banks. Maybe this is the Outer Banks way of reminding us that nothing last forever, and that we hopefully will soon return.
DSCN3491.jpg

Unloading the ferry on the Davis side. Don't forget to air up your tires. In case you're out of Co2 or your 12v air pump dies the ferry services has an air station at the end of Millis Road on the left. You pay the ferry as you leave, don't forget.
DSCN3505.jpg

One last parting shot: This is the one that keeps me coming back.
OBX%20NC%2007%20188.jpg

Louie

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Breezy78