Flip-pac mattress alternative?

JasonRedwood

Explorer
I have called Flip-pac twice to try and get a new mattress but the person that answers the phone never knows the price of the mattress.
Im wondering what the dimensions of the flip-pac mattress are.
I found a nice foam RV mattress on overstock but I am concerned it might be to thick.
The dims are 54"x75"x6"
Any input would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks
Jason

Dave Bennett

Adventurist
Getting one from FRP might be fun...

6 inches, while plush, is most likely too thick.

I recommend about 4 inches thickness, two appropriate seize/length 2 inch thick memory foam mattress toppers zipped up in some type of cover would be sweet.

A

agavelvr

If it becomes difficult to source a decent matress, you can always go to an uphoistery shop and have something made. A friend did that for his RTT. The shop did a custom job using two densities of foam glued together using their old cover. Using 2 densities helps reduce the overall thickness if you need more support. High density on the bottom for support, lower density on the top for the comfort.

The cost was around $350 as I remember, with the foam material being the majority of the expense. The nice thing about going this route is you can go the the shop, lay out the foam they recommend, and take it for a test drive on their floor to make sure it gives you the expected support. Good foam is expensive, but worth it in the long run.

homemade

Adventurer
On a whim I bought a coleman queen size inflatable mattress to use instead of the standard mattress, I think it is called a quickbed. Anyway, it is super comfortable and is a perfect fit. My wife who is picky about sleeping comfort felt is was more comfortable than our bed at home. It is a little thick inflated which takes away a couple inches of headroom. I remove it when not in use, it is made to roll up easily. Cost less than $30. If you want something now, comfortable and cheap it might be worth a look.

sixbennetts

Adventurer
The mattress lays on the bunk when you close the lid, right? If you moved those 2 tubes lower, wouldn't that allow for a thicker mattress?

RHINO

Expedition Leader
your local fabric store should carry foam sheets in at least two or three "firmness" levels. might be worth a check for price and make your own cover.

JasonRedwood

Explorer
The mattress lays on the bunk when you close the lid, right? If you moved those 2 tubes lower, wouldn't that allow for a thicker mattress?

I was wondering about that as well. I'll have to check out the same when its closed and see if it can accomodate a thicker mattress. I found this 4" mattress. Looks like it may work.

timber

Adventurer
I have a old XL Thermarest basecamp self inflating
mattress that I use on top of my flippac mattress and I sleep better up there than I do at home! when its time to pack up I open the valves on the thermarest and slip it between the wide side (drivers side) of the poles that hold up the flippac tent and mattress before I close up the top, This only works if I am by myself but I suppose I could fit two of them in the bed of the truck if I rolled them up. I think two regular size thermarests would fit side by side nice on top of the mattress. Btw my flippac mattress is pretty worn out, there really isnt much support left in it. Just a thought

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vertical.dan