Flip Pac Parts

HunterMike

Observer
Does anybody know of a unit being parted out or have spare parts? I am looking for the "Torque Arm", which is the driver's side hinge that is spline'd and attaches to the top/bed.
Mine is in the body shop being re-gel coated and painted to match. They discovered the arm has a gouge in it but was covered by the silicone. Of course, FRP has been no help and a pleasure to deal with. I just don't want this to take months longer than planned for. Autumn Brown Trout season is quickly approaching!!

Thanks,

billy bee

Adventurer
I presume you are having the work done b/c the arm ripped out of the lid? I have often felt that that arm should be considerably longer than it is. Have you considered making a custom one that, due to its greater length, would spread the load across a greater area and be less likely to rip out of the lid? Or even if you were not to modify it at all, I bet you could find a machine shop to copy the one you have...

I have thought of a few other solutions for this problem--the simplest may be to run some angle iron along the length of the lid on the driver's side. That might firm up the lid (and the glass around the torque arm) enough to prevent that from happening. Of course, that does not solve your problem; but just another interesting FP discussion point.

Good luck,
Bill

billy bee

Adventurer
Just saw this in the For Sale forum. I gather it is on CL in AR. Worth buying for parts? If you were to buy it and take the arm you needed, I'd be willing to take the rest for parts or to modify my FP to fit a smaller truck. Getting it from CO to CA might be an interesting trick, however. I'll shoot you a PM.

bb

HunterMike

Observer
TacoDoc: Yes, I called AT right after my 5th call to FRP with only more riddles each time I called than answers, AT was not able to help either, but did give me some possible solutions

Billy Bee: No, the work was being done anyway. I picked up this Flip Pac last year used, and it has great canvas, but some fiberglass issues and gel coat flaws. I was able to trade storage space in my garage for free bodywork repair. They discovered the torque arm had a major crack in it. The used shell is a great idea. I am in Colorado, so maybe i just offer the guy $150 and have it shipped out here, or $150 for the hinges and torsion bar and he keeps the rest? I'll have to contact him.

Thanks,
Mike

HunterMike

Observer
Billy Bee: wow, that's funny. The thing was sold in Broomfield, CO. That's where I grew up. He is in Farmington, AR, and I have a buddy that lives in Centerton, AR. This might actually work!

billy bee

Adventurer
Billy Bee: wow, that's funny. The thing was sold in Broomfield, CO. That's where I grew up. He is in Farmington, AR, and I have a buddy that lives in Centerton, AR. This might actually work!

If you can get the whole thing, I would take what parts that you don't need. Not sure how I would get it from you, but we could certainly use the shell and canvas. ("We" being me and the guys at SLO Sail and Canvas. We are making some products for FP owners. There may be a custom fly in your future if you help us out...)

I contacted the seller to get some info about the size of the bed it fits on. He replied: The measurements of the Flip-Pac are: outside-74x64, inside-54x70.

If those dimensions are accurate, it is an oddball size that will only fit certain Nissan short-bed trucks; it's ever so slightly too short for most compact trucks--Ranger, Taco, etc.

Let me know if you snatch it up!!!

bb

HunterMike

Observer
BillyBee,
done deal. I think USHIP can ship this to you. My buddy can get it to a local USHIP in Centeron, AR. I'm not sure what local means, but look into that, and get freight quotes. If you are still interested at that point, contact me at mnorris70@gmail.com Looks like next week before it will be picked up. A few days to strip parts, (my buddy has never even seen one, I am sending him instructions) then it's yours.

Mike

SniktawM

Flip Pac parts Denver, CO

Anyone still looking for parts? The whole front angle iron is ripping out of ours but there are other parts that may be worth it to someone.
We just replaced the front rod just before it happened so it is new (we waited 4 months for the new rod).
SniktawM

Do you have the set screw collar? the one that fits the end of the torsion bar? also the plastic inserts to the torsion bar? Id alos be interested in the metal torsion bar cover.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vertical.dan