Flippac front window, slider vs fold down slider

homemade

Adventurer
Does anyone have any input or recommendations regarding a truck cap sliding front window vs. the fold down sliding front window. I reviewed some old posts about flippac campers and I see suntinez (sp?) ordered the sliding fold down front window. Suntinez, if you are out there your input would be appreciated (do you remember the cost of this option vs. the slider?). If you can clean the outside of the rear truck window and the flippac front cap window easily enough without the fold down option then I probably wouldn’t need it but I have never had a truck cap so I’m not familiar with this. Which window do you have Shruk, or others.

Mine is old. The only option available to me was solid window or slider, then which side the slide mechanism was on. I chose a slider with the mechanism on the outside so that I can slide open the rear truck window then slide open the FP window. I think I've done that about twice so I probably wouldn't bother again. The windoors on the sides might be a nice option though.

As far as cleaning, I'm kind of weird in that I wanted my truck to be solid mechanically but look like an old truck and not care about trail damage. With no wax and so little washing, it's getting a nice "petina" now. I've only washed it a handful of times in the eight years I've owned it so washing the windows is not a concern for me.

homemade

Adventurer
Thats funny, my truck is rarely washed except by the rain and I have waxed it ony a few times in the 7+ years I have had it but I'm the opposite with windows, I have a bottle of glass plus in my truck at all times. I like good clear view out.

I ordered my flippac while I was at work which is always busy. I think Diane was trying to give me more info about windows but I kind of moved her along a bit so I'm not sure what she would have said more about them except I asked for the sliding front window and side windows which seemed to be standard issue. I only found out about the fold down slider from reading a '07 post from Suntinez where she mentioned it. Diane indicated that changes could be made in the first couple weeks after an order (probably because they don't get started on anything much before that) so I thought I would ask about it.

Reading about your flippac definitely got me going on buying one. I went to Yosemite this summer and had a great time except for getting sick at the end and an 800-900 mile one day drive home so I'm trying to plan a vacation for picking up my cap in January, hopefully it will be done on time but if not I will cancel my vacation and arrange shipping up here. Apparently FRP only charges $75 to pallet and plastic wrap it and if it is shipped I will save the Calif sales tax. But for now a warm vacation to S.Cal in Jan sounds good. Maybe I'll check out some of the desert camping I hear so much about on this site.

Thanks for your's and other write-ups.

suntinez

Explorer
If I had it to do again I wouldn't order the fold-down slider window. Cost difference was $100-$150 if I recall. I did wait almost an extra month to get it, everything else was ready but that.

Problem with this window is that you had to fold it down to slide it open, I changed it around so you don't have to do that but ??? no idea what someone was thinking there. I have only folded it down a couple of times in the 4 years I've had it. Actually I've only slid it open to carry 10' lumber pieces from time to time, it doesn't get opened much at all when camping.

homemade

Adventurer
Great! Thanks for your input, I won't bother with the fold down window. While I have your ear, and off topic, can you recall what type of seal FRP put between the cap and the truck bed rails? Plain camper foam tape or bulb seal or other? Did they stick the seal tape or bulb (if any) to the flippac flange or to your truck bed rails? If they used cheap foam tape I was going to get something better like ultra-seal bulb seal. I asked Diane if my plastic bed rail caps had to be removed, she said they wouldn't be a problem, does your truck have caps and if so did that work out OK with installation?

I'm really looking forward to getting the flippac and I'm glad I built my own slide in pop up camper so I didn't go thru the expense and hassle of buying one then finding out that isn't what I really wanted. My wife (and a ranger at Yosemite) think I should sell my camper but I have too much heart and soul into it so I plan to just decomission it with cerimony and send parts to recycling - if the flippac proves to be what I expect from it.

suntinez

Explorer
I've only had the flippac off the truck once since it was put on, but I believe it was a triple row of bulb gasket all the way around. It's on top of the plastic rail cap - never had a single leak or problem with it. Depending on what kind of truck you're putting it on, you may want to do additional sealing around the tailgate depending on how well the window mates up to your tailgate.

The flippac is mounted via 6 bolts drilled through the bedrails on the inside of the bed, it's rock solid on there.

Once you're in there, FRP will take good care of you - they have always gone out of their way for me. We've heard all the negatives, but they are very nice people - if somewhat disorganized.

You might want to hang on to the internal bits of your camper before the ceremony (oh how the mind wanders!) since you'll have to start the build from scratch after you have the flippac.

Post some pics once you've got it and let us know how you like it. Always interested to see what people do inside.

homemade

Adventurer
Thanks for your insight. It sounds like I won't have to do anything other than bring the truck down to FRP then. It makes the trip to S. Cal more worthwhile.

I might copy what you and Shruk have done for the interior, probably less than that. I‘ll have to check your old posts but I just want to keep it simple and I have some 2x3‘s and 2x4‘s in my garage that will be more than enough to frame a simple fold up bench/sleeping surface for the truck bed. The beauty of the flippac to me is simplicity, lighter weight and use as a daily driver truck cap. I carry inflatable boat/kayak/motor, backpacks and other gear which is better thrown in a truck bed then a camper. I also want to be able to sit up in the bed portion to change clothes and not feel like I am in the tombs when sleeping up top and I really want to minimize weight and increase rear visibility vs. my current camper so my truck is more fun to drive. I don't have much in the way of expectations other than that so I think the flippac will fit the bill. Despite some of the posts on this web site questioning the durability or sturdiness of the flippac I don't think I have heard about any epic failures other than the torsion bar having a limited life, bad hinges on one (Harp's) and the need to keep hinge entry points well caulked to prevent rust and failure.

Thanks again, I hope you don't mind if I have more Q in the future but as far as I can tell that should be it. I'll post when I get it but I definitely won't have as interesting stuff as others have done to theirs.

brianjwilson

Some sort of lost...
I have owned fiberglass caps with fold down front sliders, and some that didn't open at all. I'm anal about having clean windows so paying an extra $100 or whatever was totally worth it. I wouldn't order another one without it. Mine was also setup to be opened from the front (from the cab essentially).

homemade

Adventurer
The potential extra month to have the window built for sure means no go for it. If it becomes a real big deal to me I would suppose that I could order a fold down slider from the FRP supplier. I also like really clean windows when out sightseeing/camping but when I think of it I don't think I have cleaned the rear window very often so it might not be that much of an issue.

ETAV8R

Founder of D.E.R.P.
I have the flip-down slider and am happy I chose it. I hate dirty windows too. This lets me clean my windows as I have no clue how I would without the flip-down. The slider portion is a bit useless but should I need it open I can. Better to have it and not need it than the other way around.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mitch Bears