FlipPac Lid Repair 101 (or how to get in over your head in three easy steps...)

SLO_F-250

Explorer
Awesome Project Billy Bee! Glad to see that Karl got one! Im going to have to swing by the shop to check out the refurb process next time I'm in town. Thanks for sharing the photos. Im keeping a watch on this thread!

Paul

Just thought I would add some photos to this thread as it is turning out to be very helpful for flippac owners to see how a flippac is constructed.

Im just using some of the parts from mine (torsion bar, hinges ect..)

Attachments

• IMG_1705.jpg
    IMG_1705.jpg
    51.3 KB · Views: 134
  • IMG_1706.jpg
    IMG_1706.jpg
    53.6 KB · Views: 132
  • IMG_1707.jpg
    IMG_1707.jpg
    52.4 KB · Views: 129
  • IMG_1708.jpg
    IMG_1708.jpg
    70.2 KB · Views: 109
  • IMG_1709.jpg
    IMG_1709.jpg
    63.2 KB · Views: 111
  • IMG_1712.jpg
    IMG_1712.jpg
    47.2 KB · Views: 120
  • IMG_1713.jpg
    IMG_1713.jpg
    49.2 KB · Views: 120

austintaco

Explorer
Just a thought and concern. What are signs that your flippac might be failing? Any odd creaks, rust spots? Prior to complete failure or to prevent failure, would a rust inhibitor be able to be sprayed on the metal channel? Thanks for posting up the photos and videos. Very informative.

billy bee

Adventurer
Just a thought and concern. What are signs that your flippac might be failing? Any odd creaks, rust spots? Prior to complete failure or to prevent failure, would a rust inhibitor be able to be sprayed on the metal channel? Thanks for posting up the photos and videos. Very informative.

Looks for rust stains under the hinge arms... Otherwise, disassembly is the only real way to know.

bb

timber

Adventurer
Looks like you scrapped that one. I appreciate the pics. Helps me to see whats going on in there. If you happen to open up the lid I would like to see what they did in between the inner and outer skins. I know there is some kind of foam in there from drilling through it.

ETAV8R

Founder of D.E.R.P.
Hard to make out what is where in the pic on the lower right hand corner. What section is that?

billy bee

Adventurer
Looks like you scrapped that one. I appreciate the pics. Helps me to see whats going on in there. If you happen to open up the lid I would like to see what they did in between the inner and outer skins. I know there is some kind of foam in there from drilling through it.

I got the scope in between the inner and outer skins. Looks to my like the core is some kind of epoxy impregnated cardboard honeycomb. It appeared to have broken down considerably.

bb

ETAV8R

Founder of D.E.R.P.
I got the scope in between the inner and outer skins. Looks to my like the core is some kind of epoxy impregnated cardboard honeycomb. It appeared to have broken down considerably.

bb
Makes me want a four wheel camper even more.

Hard to make out what is where in the pic on the lower right hand corner. What section is that?

That is in the midde of the top of the flippac fron the side. In other words that is the metal tube that runs the full length of the flippac that the torsion bar bolts inside of. They also run the wiring for the interior lights inside of it.

So what happened? I bought a Flippac a month ago that had identical damage to it as yours. I have it at a friends body shop and we're planning on opening it up in a few days. Seeing yours sawed in two doesnt leave me hopeful now :s

billy bee

Adventurer

You might want to re-read the thred more carefully.

bb

billy bee

Adventurer
Sorry about that! Any progress on the original, btw? My fiberglass guy gave me a firm and definite, "I guess it can be done, anything can be done" :p

We have a plan and much of the work is done. Just have not budgeted time to complete the job. Will update when we do. Hint: we are not re-glassing anything...

Bill

We have a plan and much of the work is done. Just have not budgeted time to complete the job. Will update when we do. Hint: we are not re-glassing anything...

Bill

very interesting...... I was thinking of a non-reglass approach. I was thinking of chopping the damaged area, reinforcing it with bolts and 3/4 inch ply, and having the unit supported when open using two poles on each side of the lid that rest on the ground. That way the weight of the bed is supported to the ground rather than relying on the tension mechanics.

Am planning on rigging that up "if all else fails". Interested to see what you come up with. I'll post pics when we get something going.

Thanks!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Deleman