Flooring material choice in a DIY camper

ReluctantTraveler

For those of who've built your own, what do you use as the final surface for the floor?

I'll be building mine out of marine plywood, epoxied. I plan to paint the exterior, with a mix of paint and natural wood on the inside for a nautical look.

I'm unsure if I should just use the epoxied plywood as-is, paint it, or cover it in vinyl or some other sort of material. I'm assuming folks with composite bodies just use the composite. That's obviously not an option here.

My big concerns are water on the floor, how dirty it will get from foot traffic, overall durability, and grip/slipperiness with bare feet or socks.

SootyCamper

I'll be using the coinmat rubber flooring. Alot of folks use vinyl plank cuz it looks like home. I chose coinmat simply because we have it on the floors at work and its durable as heck. 1000's of people walking on it with steeltoed boots covered in chemicals/bitumen/mud with zero wear. I will be using 12v heating mats underneath for the cold winter days.

Peter_n_Margaret

Adventurer
Our floor itself is gel coated fiberglass sandwich panel. We cover that with indoor/outdoor carpet that is cut to shape and held in position with patches of velcro.
It can be removed and shaken out at any time.
After each big trip we take it out and hit it with a high pressure wash.
It is replaced about every 5 years.
We like it underfoot compared with hard surfaces.
Cheers,
Peter
OKA196 motorhome

ReluctantTraveler

Our floor itself is gel coated fiberglass sandwich panel. We cover that with indoor/outdoor carpet that is cut to shape and held in position with patches of velcro.
It can be removed and shaken out at any time.
After each big trip we take it out and hit it with a high pressure wash.
It is replaced about every 5 years.
We like it underfoot compared with hard surfaces.
Cheers,
Peter
OKA196 motorhome

That's a neat idea, Peter! We use a carpet runner in our current caravan for the same reason. I like the idea of removable velcro. Smart!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Smudge12

Members online