Flor Entrance vs Side Entrance

Stegerman

I am going to buy a RTT. I have narrowed my choices to a Tepui or a CVT based on several factors not the least of which is quality and customer service.

The one question I have is the difference between the tents that are biggest enough for the ladder to be under the tent with a full enclosure around the entrance versus the side entry with an awning over.

Side Open entry
1380293708.jpg

Side Enclosed Entry
DSC_0652_1024x1024.jpg

Any feedback on positives or negatives is greatly appreciated.
EDIT: I apparently can't spell floor correctly. Sorry :(

DK4runner

Just got my Tepui autana sky and it is awesome. I like the awning. Seems nice to be covered while climbing the ladder, and the additional 8' x 8' tent will be a nice option.

ducktapeguy

Adventurer
Essentially they're the exact same tent with a little extra coverage on the ladder, so not really floor entrance, but more like a covered side entry. Like DK4runner, i bought the Autana sky for the same reason, the annex will give me a lot of extra room in the future, and the awning provides a little more protection for anything you want to leave under the tent (shoes, bags, etc)

I would say the slight downside is the awning does make one side of the tent pretty dark because there's no opening for light, although some of the newer RTT I think have a window in that section, and with the sky model the problem isn't so pronounced. Also, the pole is hinged you can always flip the awning back the tent to expose the door. You have some extra fabric to deal with and you'll lose any rain/sun protection that way, but it's pretty minor issue. The only other issue I can think of is it would take a little more time to setup/pack it away because there's that extra pole to deal with, maybe another minute or two at most.

For my use, the advantages of a larger annex make up for the minor inconvenience, although there are times it would be nice to have less "tent". Maybe in the next version Tepui can come out with a modular zip-on sections that could give you the advantages of both, kind of like a minimalist fastpack configuration similar to what they do with backpacking tents, and a 4 season setup with full coverage. In the summer I'd run the bare minimum to save weight, no awning, no rainfly, no annex, but in the winter I'd have the option to put it all back on for added protection

Last edited:

stingray1300

Explorer
There are a few threads on here about these tents. Both are good. I almost bought a CVT, but after about 3 weeks of questions not being answered and commitments NOT being made, I'm glad I bought the Tepui. A scoshe better quality than the CVT. Why? Because Tepui, even thought they are both made in China, has a "man-on-the-ground" *in* China for QC. Customer service from Tepui is top-notch. CVT has been going through all we can figure is growing pains or logistics issues (not sure which). I love our Tepui Gran Sabana. Yes it's big (Cal. King size), and the annex room (that wraps around the ladder) is a big plus. Tepui has a better ladder and structure as well. Not sure there's a "bad" choice here though.
w/o the annex room:
DSC_0142 - Copy (2).jpg

w/annex room:
RTT2.jpg

concretejungle

Adventurer
the room with annex is for sure a top selling feature for one of the fold over tents. That's my opinion.

My old RTT had that feature and that is the #1 thing that i miss vs. my new hardshell pop up tent. Having the ability to have the entrance closed off for privacy or weather is a huge deal and i personally loved it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Smudge12