Fluids Question

I tried to search, but didn't seem to get anywhere. I'm sure it's been discussed before and I'm sorry to bring it up again.

How and in what do you carry fluids for your rig?

Robert Bills

Explorer
I keep spare fluids in a Bestop cargo box behind the rear seat of my CJ-7, including coolant, oil, power steering fluid, brake fluid, gear lube, etc. Each container is in a plastic grocery store bag in the event of leakage. Other than that, no special storage routine and I haven't had to clean any spills.

Pad

Adventurer
Personally, I use a Rubbermaid tote.
I can fit the 1-Gal. size jugs in it standing up (anti-freeze/ATF/motor oil/qt.gear)
and have room for spare belts/hoses/rags and other misc. field repair parts.
Keeps all the messy stuff together should anything leak.
Rubbermaid is more flexible and will not crack as easily. I also like the one-piece lid, keeps rain out better and if more space is needed while at camp, I can just throw it under the truck. It can also be used as a drip pan should something really tragic happen.

Hope that helps.
Pad

Rallyroo

Expedition Leader
I just carry the original bottles the fluid comes in. I've seen some people use MSR Fuel Bottles (labeled of course) and cleaning secured with those strap things.

bfdiesel

Explorer
In original containers for fluids. I put PS, and brake fluid in a 5 gallon bucket I carry for spills or putting out camp fires. I don't carry spare coolant because if I am out on the trail I will just use water if needed. The jug of motor oil just stays where it can be reached easily as my rear main leaks.

Expedition Leader
I take oil and gear lube in single quarts and brake/clutch hydraulic fluid and they go in the hardest to reach spot in the back since I rarely if ever use them. I Don't carry antifreeze for the reason already stated by bfdiesel.

Stumpalump

Expedition Leader
I keep non flamable liquid up under the hood. Gear lube and oil is kept in original bottles stuffed in the side of my rig where I removed the inner plastic interior panel. There is a lot of room wasted behind all that plastic. I checked all the oil and lubricants I could get my hands on and found that the Lucas brand by far came in the thickest and strogest containers. Auto-Zone has it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JCCB1998