FND4PTH - 1999 Pathfinder Build Thread

vengeful

Explorer
Aaron, thanks for the compliments! She gets the me everywhere I need to go and quite a lot of places I don't. LOL.

I picked up some 3/16" thickness 1 1/4" angle nd bar stock today to weld up a new bracket for my t-case skid to the transmission cross member. The skid was originally mounted to two rather suspect looking tabs hanging off the x-member that looked like they were put there only so one would have a place to attach a bungee cord should the need to disconnect the rear driveshaft arise.

I finally finished modifying the Frontier LSD that I've got sitting in my basement and set up the gears in that 3rd, so that's ready to go in until I can get a couple ARBs.

After reading the Fridge comparison in the Summer 2007 issue of Overland Journal, I decided on the National Luna fridge. The Deka AGM batteries are appealing but the Odysseys are still calling my name.

I nee to hit the MegaMilions here! LOL.

xcmountain80

Expedition Leader
Yeah dunno why my poor fridge got such a bad rating. Oh well I can deal with it. Funny you mention batteries I need to look into the odyssey. I know they make a small lil guy, my fridge in freezer mode drops my yellow top flat in a day and a half. So I figure yellow for freeze and lil guy for starting.

Good Luck

Aaron

vengeful

Explorer
Finally took the time to re-route the snorkel tubing so it actually works now. :oops:

I had to cut about 1.5" off of the end of the snorkel outlet that goes through the fender in order for the tubing to clear the crumple zone. Once that was done, I took some flexible intake tubing, and JB Welded it in place, and sealed it up with a TON of silicone. Ran the tubing down through the hole in the inner fender, and into the airbox. Got everything sealed up pretty darn well, since the truck starts to cough and will die after a few seconds if I cover the snorkel inlet.

All I can say, it's about friggin time! :wings:

Unfortunately, I don't have any pics at the moment, cuz I didn't think to take any while I was working on it. I'll try and pop the corner light out and get some pics later though.

vengeful

Explorer
Final Entry

This is going to be the final chapter in the build thread for "Betsy," my Black 1999 Pathfinder.

She is being officially retired from any and all OHV duties (possibly with the exception of JoshuaTest extraction). She will be stripped, parted out, and shipped off to the junkers later in the year.

The compouding problems I am experiencing lately have exceeded the cost benefit of keeping the truck. Just to get it to pass an emissions test and safety inspection this year will cost me over $4,000. Yes, I realize that buying another vehicle that will fit my needs will be considerably more than that, but keep reading. If I do spend the money to restore Bets to her former glory, I will still be driving a vehicle with 150,000+ very hard miles. The mileage doesn't bother me--it's what follows that does!

The transmission is displaying ominous behaviour. When that goes, it'll cost me about $2,000 to convert to a Manual. Then there's the matter of the body. The paint is abismal. The sheetmetal is covered in dents, some larger than others. The Ubiquitous Northern Rust has laid claim to every exposed bolt, and my front fenders. I'm also not very happy with the way the black has held up, and would need to repaint the Pathfinder a different colour after all the body issues are remedied.

However, I do not see the benefit of starting clean with a different vehicle either. Even if a different vehicle might fit into what I want to do a little better, I've got so much invested in Pathfinder parts, and development of Pathfinder parts, it would be unwise for me to buy a 4Runner or a Commander (The other two vehicles I have been looking at recently). :safari-rig:

So...with all of that said, here's what I am going to do.

I have put together a list of everything that I want, and will be searching for an EXACT match. I won't even consider a specimen that does not meet all of these criteria.

Make: Nissan
Model: Pathfinder
Trim: SE 4x4
Model Year: 1999.5 or 2000 (Facelifted R50)
Engine: VG33E 3.3L 3297cc SOHC V6
4Wheel Drive System: Manually Engaged, Lever Actuated Part-Time
Transmission: 5-Speed Manual
Axle Code: HG46 (Swappable if necessary)
Exterior Colour: White Monotone
Interior Colour: Tan
Interior Material: Cloth
Installed Equipment: Power Tilt and Slide Moonroof, Roof Load Bars, Power Heated Exterior Mirrors, 8-Way Manually Adjustable Drivers Seat, Climate Control System with Automatic Fan Speed Selection, Cruise Control, Air Conditioning.
Excluded Equipment: Sport Package (Rear Tire Carrier and LSD), Bose 6-Disc CD Changer Audio System (Single Disc Bose OK).

Yes, I realize that I'm NEVER going to find exactly that vehicle, because, they probably only made 2 like it, and one of them was probably totalled in Katrina, and the other one is owned by someone who absolutely loves it, but it doesn't mean I'm not going to try!

I am going to be keeping Betsy around for a while after getting the new Pathfinder (yet unnamed, have to meet her first) to transfer over parts and accessories. Then I will be parting out the rest of the useful stuff and shipping the rest off to the junkyard. Wow, I say that so matter-of-factly! It's going to be very hard to let her go. I've had a great relationship with the old girl. We've got a lot of great memories together, and have seen a great many wonderful places. I have met a great deal of wonderful people through our adventures, and have so much to thank her for. We've been together for 5 years, 9 months, and 16 days today, and just clicked over our 128,000th mile together. I may not have always treated her like I should have, but she's never let me down. I can't believe that it's come time to pull her plug, but she doesn't want to be kept on life-support. Crap, I'm getting sentimental and teary-eyed. It's just a truck! "Don't turn around, don't turn around, don't turn around..."

Last edited:

vengeful

Explorer
Well...I drew it out pretty much as long as I possibly could. I will no longer be able to legally drive my truck on the street as of next Thursday (1-1-09), as the registration runs out 12/31. I am not renewing the registration, as it requires an emissions test (silly Northern Virginia) and recent estimates have put the cost of repair at astronomic proportions.

I am going tomorrow (12/16) to purchase my next vehicle. It will be a huge change for me. Not a Nissan. Not a Jeep. Not even a Toyota. I'll leave you to guess and stress over my decision until I get some pictures of the new method of transport, but here's a very cryptic (and not really helpful) hint.

noconesbarlogo.gif

vengeful

Explorer
I realized I made a digit error in my date. It was supposed to read 12/26...

I ended up picking the vehicle up today, as there were some issues on the 26th.

Nope, not a motorcycle.

I'll post pictures in the proper section once I get her sorted tomorrow.

She's (and it's DEFINITELY a girl) going to get a piece of the Pathfinder, for sure...oh, and I suppose I could sport some ExPo stickers on it....LOL.:jumping:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
guapstyle