FNG question - Is this craigslist ad too good to be true?

DanF.

Adventurer
Low miles Toyota Land Cruiser (excellent condition) 1997 - $6700 (Katy Tx) - https://houston.craigslist.org/cto/5719670425.html

I sent few questions to the seller, and he/she responded with the milage as being 139,000. I asked about general condition, maintenance history, etc. but I only received the milage info. I get the feeling that English isn't the seller's first language. I won't be back in TX for a couple weeks, but I just sold my car while up in NH, and am in the market for something 4wd.

If (big if) it's still available in two weeks, what sort of questions should I be asking about this 80? And, what sort of stuff should I being looking for with a detailed eye?

Thanks.

DanF.

Adventurer
Buy the damn thing!

If it's still for sale in two weeks, I will go take a look. I'm in NH right now, and live in Galveston for the school year. There's not too many decent 4wd vehicles that interest me (don't want a domestic) and are in my price range in the Houston area.

webguy

I saw it the other day. The red flag for me is that the ad says it has no rust because it always been in Texas but that isn't a Texas plate in the photos.

blackwood

Adventurer
I saw it the other day. The red flag for me is that the ad says it has no rust because it always been in Texas but that isn't a Texas plate in the photos.

South Dakota license plate. I'm sure it never snows up there :smiley_drive:

Looks like this:
SOUTH DAKOTA_lg.jpg

cruiserpilot

Adventurer
Too many glamour photos in a mall. I get suspicious as to whether this person is merely flipping this. Look very carefully, bad English,
my bs meter is pinging on this one. Examine the title carefully. Yeah, I'm a paranoid, but I've seen a lot and try to not get emotional when
looking at cars.

DanF.

Adventurer
Too many glamour photos in a mall. I get suspicious as to whether this person is merely flipping this. Look very carefully, bad English,
my bs meter is pinging on this one. Examine the title carefully. Yeah, I'm a paranoid, but I've seen a lot and try to not get emotional when
looking at cars.

You're right on that flag. Mine is flying too. If they send me the VIN, I'll get a slightly better picture on the vehicle history.

There are rare instances where the seller doesn't really know what they have. My wife scored her Pathfinder in awesome condition from some random used car lot in Houston. The dealer didn't know anything about it and she snagged it quick.

DanF.

Adventurer
No road salt in ND.

What about South Dakota?

Rant time:

It just frustrates me that this seller (and 90% of those on craigslist) omit all the pertinent info. It's stupid-easy to add the VIN/mileage/features/etc... because craigslist has a template already setup. You just plug in the info, and viola!, it's there for everyone to see. Honest sellers are lazy, and dubious sellers are (purposefully) lazy.

I just sold my car and spent a long time making sure that my craigslist ad had as much info as possible, and over 20 clear pictures. And then I watched my email/text messages like a hawk to promptly reply to questions, or take more detailed pics as requested. I ended up selling it to a Saab forum member who didn't even see the CL ad. He drove up in immediately with a car dolly and hauled it away.

/soap box

Last edited:

brentbba

Explorer
Suggest logging on to IH8MUD and finding a local landcruiser club or members around Katy, TX and see if one of them can do an inspection for you. Lack of info and response would run my BS flag up the pole pretty high too!

SDDiver5

Expedition Leader
If it was in TX it may have been a flood vehicle. Lots of cheap cars and trucks for sale that were flood vehicles and it doesn't get disclosed and is covered up with a cheap price.

DanF.

Adventurer
If you're serious about it, why not just call them instead of texting/emailing?

I'm 2000 miles away, and not looking to have a conversation. I just want specific facts/numbers so I can do a bit more research on my end. That shouldn't be too difficult.

It seems that the seller isn't in a rush to get out all the info. He/she was quick with a reply about the milage (139,000mi) but that was only one of my questions. I don't have high hopes for this car, but if it's still around in two weeks, I'd be interested in going to take a look at it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mitch Bears