FOAM!!! looking for bulk foam for a mattress

Itsavanman

Adventurer
getting ready to start building the "bedroom" of my camper.. its too narrow for a regular mattress, and their expensive when they are just foam.. so. where can a guy find bulk foam, and what kinda foam works? and how thick? right now thinking 4" thick medium density foam. I'm 6'1" and about 230lbs... anyone have any suggestions?

dwh

Tail-End Charlie
Upholstery shop.

I've used this stuff (medium density):

http://foammart.com/index.php?pg=home&pcat=foam-flexible-open-cell

Started with 1", then added another 1", then another. I'm 6'4", was 250 lbs. at the time and 2" was not enough, but 3" inches was enough. 4" was very comfortable.

I bought a cheap sleeping bag, and put the foam layers inside it and it was a great mattress. Wore out a few of the cheap sleeping bags, but the foam lasted years.

Itsavanman

Adventurer
Upholstery shop.

I've used this stuff (medium density):

http://foammart.com/index.php?pg=home&pcat=foam-flexible-open-cell

Started with 1", then added another 1", then another. I'm 6'4", was 250 lbs. at the time and 2" was not enough, but 3" inches was enough. 4" was very comfortable.

I bought a cheap sleeping bag, and put the foam layers inside it and it was a great mattress. Wore out a few of the cheap sleeping bags, but the foam lasted years.

this is a good idea.. I think i may layer them, using mattress toppers. Thinking 2" regular foam, then 2" gel or memory foam, or maybe 3 - 1 dunno should make for a nice comfy bed after a hard days riding....

MarcFJ60

Adventurer
Why not just find a memory foam mattress topper on sale somewhere? I've seen them as thick as 4", but it may be easier/cheaper to just double up a 2" topper. Probably not as cheap as bulk foam, but might be easier to find.

Anthonyevans

Since you're in the North try Albany foam out of New York they can custom make any density and size you want. They are one of the suppliers I use. ( I own an upholstery shop )

Itsavanman

Adventurer
Why not just find a memory foam mattress topper on sale somewhere? I've seen them as thick as 4", but it may be easier/cheaper to just double up a 2" topper. Probably not as cheap as bulk foam, but might be easier to find.

I think it would be better supporting if i did the regular foam, then memory foam, as thats how the memory foam mattress are made, I used a memory foam topper by itself once, and because it squishes a lot it creates hard spots at pressure points...

DaveInDenver

Middle Income Semi-Redneck
Just remember that memory foam gets hard as a rock in the cold.
Memory foam is really a poor choice for an RV mattress because of this. It's also very hot in the summer. I would just use at least a medium (ILD ~25) or firm (ILD ~35 to 40) density quality natural latex foam in whatever thickness you wish. I use the Foam Source in Boulder, CO, but they aren't selling anything particularly unique so I'd find a place locally instead of shipping it (although they do ship for free). But they've done a couple of custom mattresses and cotton covers for my WilderNests over the years.

http://www.foamsource.com/

Last edited:

chickadee

Adventurer
We purchased a 3" foam mattress with a cover from www.foambymail.com for the back of our 80's series.
My husband is 6'2" and 200 lbs and I'm 5'9" and 150 lbs and we have been using it for 4 years now.

They have different levels of
support to choose from.

dwh

Tail-End Charlie
Just remember that memory foam gets hard as a rock in the cold.

The medium density stuff I used didn't do that.

I did add one of those blue egg-crate style roll up sleeping pads on top of the stack of foam in the cold. You could literally feel the heat reflecting off of it back up at you. 4" of medium density foam plus that thin layer of higher density was like insulation on steroids.

Xbcasey

Adventurer
I had a similar issue and found a 4" memory foam mattress on eBay that they were selling because the packaging had been damaged and tore a corner of the mattress. It was slightly bigger than I needed so I got it for dirt cheap, cut it down to size and had a perfect mattress!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mitch Bears