Foam mattress

Wyowanderer

Explorer
I bought a couple pieces at my local upholstery shop years ago- 1 1/2 " of really soft foam, and 3" of denser foam, and had them glue it together. It's 4 1/2 X 48 X72 and it's like sleeping at home. The soft foam has some give, and the dense foam provides support as needed by my large frame.

IdaSHO

IDACAMPER
I didnt see it mentioned here, could have missed it though...

But memory foam will NEVER find its way into our camper. We do a ton of cold weather traveling. Camper is not heated while on the road, and can get pretty cold.

My wife brought a memory foam pillow along once.... fun times.....

I slept WITHOUT a pillow that night, she used mine.

The memory foam pillow was tossed into the corner. Cold, and hard as a rock. :eek:

TheDriver

Observer
I bought a mid range ikea multi layer foam mattress (twin I think) and trimmed it to fit in three big pieces (Jeep JKU). I had a local shop cover it with some softer sunbrella like fabric and it's worked out great! Better than sleeping on our regular inner spring at home. Because the jk floor is not flat with the rear seats folded down I ended up pulling them and putting in a kilby flat floor. Loving the stealth jk rv and glad we spent the money on a good donor foam mattress - it blows away the lighter foam roll material that I've checked out and it's thick enough to be super warm even in the snow (using a down comforter).

Chris

AUTO360

Adventurer
I got my mattress from a website called Truckermattress.com . It was $200 but worth it. Quality foam and hospital grade cover for it. Plus it was custom sized to my specifications. Worth the money? Hmm. I sleep very well on it and the quality is excellent. But at the same time I have a cheap stock mattress in my toyhauler with an egg crate foam from Wally World and I sleep great on that also. I will say that on a hot day the mattress does seem to hold alot of heat. And like Idasho said, in cold weather it can get rather cold and hard. Tough to say. Those Ikea mattress's are really nice....I bought 2 off CL, never used for $20. Slept great on them! Too big for my Van camper though. Hmm, maybe tonight I'll sleep on my gravel driveway and see if that works also. LOL..kidding

Stumpalump

Expedition Leader
There is nothing like crashing onto a real sleep surface after a day of driving or your outdoor activities. My limited time to play results in long hard days of often strenuous activities. I personally demand the absolute best sleep surface like the kind that I hit at night and wake up in the same position I crashed in 7 hours earlier. The quality sleep allows me to have a quality day to do it again. I see too many people mope around the campsite till 10:00am because they are still wiped out from the day before. I sleep on a surface worthy of a crash victim with a broken back. Foam/air bladder combo with the right support in the right place. I'd post some links but am currently reduce to a toy commuter iPad thing but you can google " stretcher sleep surfaces" I use a Stryker Pioneer but their are others available in all sorts of widths, lengths and thickness. Air, foam, or a combination are all available. A stretcher is not an ambulance cot. They are called cots. It's not a hospital bed, those are called beds. A stretcher is in between and is used to transport patients within a medical facility. They are a medically engineered sleep surface for people in dire need of quality rest. That would be me after a day of hiking ,biking,driving, swimming, fishing metal detecting or riding the dirt bike. I hit that surface and it's like God has me in his hands. I used to say that the 12v fridge was the best piece of camp gear I owned but now the top spot is the stretcher surface.

Hilldweller

SE Expedition Society
Regarding the hardness of the cold memory foam mattress in winter, we have a 12-v electric throw blanket that we run for about a half hour before bunking for the night. Warms up the bed well and makes a nice little cocoon environment.

mattressstx

hi..I think you should go for Ikea mattress...that are very good and comfortable. I am using it from past 2 years and are quite satisfied with it. Use that, I am sure you gonna love it.

Carlyle

Explorer
I finally got tired of sore shoulders and neck and had Alaskan fit my camper for a real 10" mattress. Couldn't be happier despite the weight.

Probably an issue because I use my camper so much.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Iain_U1250

Explorer
We went with an Ikea Latex mattress in our truck, it's even more comfortable than the one in the house. The mattress goes on the adjustable slat base. It's bit on the heavy side, but we can sleep in comfort which is more important considering how long we will be on the road. The slats and mattress weight in at around 65kg. :Wow1:

We chose the latex and slat option over foam because of the problems condensation, mould etc. We will be travelling in humid climates and don't want the "musty boat/caravan" smell that seems to permeate a lot of campers over here.

http://www.ikea.com/au/en/catalog/products/00139993/

DSC04340.jpg

jet noise

Observer
For the custom sized cushions I was going to order from www.thefoamfactory.com: http://www.thefoamfactory.com/Merch...tore_Code=foambymail&category_id=1&shape_id=1 I've gotten some cushions for my current camper when I did a bed extension from them. I got the LUX-R, its quite firm. I may consider the HD36 this round, not sure since its a dinette but not too expensive if I change my mind either. For a bed I think I'd use the HD36 (or a dual layer) since the LUX-R can make for sore hips and such since its quite firm, definitely no worries about bottoming out. That site has lots of foam types/toppers/etc. Pretty darn good pricing and free shipping over $75.

I need to replace my old foam from '85 and the dimensions on the dinette bunk only give me 3" of depth. So, based on what I learned from 98Roamer's post (#9), I bought a 1" thick HD36HQ mattress and a 2" thick 4 lb visco plush memory foam topper. I would have went with the 5lb topper but wanted to save a bit since the ILDs are the same. Pods8, based on your experience with the foam facotry's products, will I bottom out on this 3" thick setup? I'm hoping it will be comfy, since the setup was not the cheapest route I could have taken.

raven1911

Observer
Are all of you using these foam mattresses in campers? Anyone use one tent camping? If so, how do you pack it down for car transport?

dwh

Tail-End Charlie
Are all of you using these foam mattresses in campers? Anyone use one tent camping? If so, how do you pack it down for car transport?

I used my foam pads in a cheap sleeping bag for tent (and van) camping. I would take it apart and roll up the foam and stick the bag in a stuff sack for transport. Since the foam layers were only 1" thick, they rolled up easily and fairly small.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior