Folding saw

PlacidWaters

Adventurer
I'm looking for a folding saw (pruning type). I know this has been discussed at length here, but the search function won't search for "folding saws." Would like to hear suggestions for affordable folding saws (under $30) for cutting wood up to about 4". I have a very small UCO fire pit that takes wood about 10" long. I could also use a new axe, quite small and light, for splitting those pieces. Or post links to those past discussions. Thanks!

Last edited:

Shawn686

Observer
I like the sawsall blade holders, you just get a pruning blade for it. The blade is not proprietary like all the camping/ outdoors ones. And they are available anywhere tools are sold. Not so much for the camping/hunting ones

I have this one:

V2U1D200731YN0XR.jpg

Blade Holder I use

And use these blades:
diablo-reciprocating-saw-blades-ds0603cp-64_1000.jpg

Blades I like

The holder folds with blades 6 inches or less. You could modify the holder to fold with longer blades, but they would stick out from the handle. I just keep a 6" in it and a longer one separate. It changes blades and folds at the touch of a button.

Hope that helps

Shawn

Last edited:

Gartenmeister

Silky makes fantastic saws and is the standard for quality. I carry a medium tooth PocketBoy 130 in my pack, mostly for minor trail improvements. It was $30-something when I bought it, a little more now but definitely worth it. Similar looking cheap saws (Corona, Fiskars, etc) do not compare.

For regular cutting of firewood you might want something bigger than a Pocketboy. Maybe a GomBoy.

dstefan

+1 for SilkySaws. But really any Japanese cut on the pull saws will be great. The larger ones like the Silky Big Boy can cut through some really big wood amazingly fast. I use my Big Boy a lot for trail clearing and it will cut up to 1” branches with just one or two strokes and bigger stuff proportionally fast. The recommendation for the GomBoy from @Gartenmeister is probably the sweet spot for what you want.

You do have to be sure you’re applying power only on the pull strokes. You can bend the blades if you jam into anything on the push strokes.

PlacidWaters

Adventurer
This saw is the BEST $20 I’ve spent. It’s always in my truck or in my pack. Absolutely love it.
The Corona 10" razor tooth would seem to make the most sense for my budget. Thanks. Now how about a lightweight hatchet for splitting these small pieces?

jgaz

Adventurer

We use the heck out of these at a county park where I volunteer.
They last longer than the Corona saws that we have tried.

The silky saws are nice as long as you, or another user, remembers that they are a pull saw.

PlacidWaters

Adventurer
I’m partial to Estwing, but I’ve got a lightweight DeWalt hatchet I like too…
How about this $20 Dewalt camper's hatchet?

As a reminder, I posted last year that I wasn't satisfied with the Fiskers X7 hatchet despite the positive reviews, but most here disagreed with my take on this:

NORDFORD

How about this $20 Dewalt camper's hatchet?

As a reminder, I posted last year that I wasn't satisfied with the Fiskers X7 hatchet despite the positive reviews, but most here disagreed with my take on this:
That DeWalt is the one I have.

Alloy

+1 for SilkySaws. But really any Japanese cut on the pull saws will be great. The larger ones like the Silky Big Boy can cut through some really big wood amazingly fast. I use my Big Boy a lot for trail clearing and it will cut up to 1” branches with just one or two strokes and bigger stuff proportionally fast. The recommendation for the GomBoy from @Gartenmeister is probably the sweet spot for what you want.

You do have to be sure you’re applying power only on the pull strokes. You can bend the blades if you jam into anything on the push strokes.

Can't beat a Silky Saw.

The fractures can be seen through this cut as the weight of the 30' diameter root ball pulled and finally split the tree as it fell back into the hole.
20230514_124055.jpg

The other side with some of the other trees in the blow down
20230514_123700.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior