Food For Thought | Be Proud Of Your Jeep Purchase

marktutone

Adventurer
I was reading a trip report and the person described the JK as light weight compared to the G Wagon and it got me to thinking about that statement. Below I have a list that could build the ultimate overland vehicle at a fraction of the cost of what some truck owners pay for their foreign vehicles.

New Jeep JK unlimited 27000
Teraflex tera 60 front axle 9000
Teraflex tera 60 rear axle 4000
Teraflex 3 inch lift long arm kit 3000
Poison Spyder rock rails 600
Poison Spyder Fenders 800
Poison Spyder louvered hood 130
Poison Spyder full roll cage 1500
Advanced Adapters Atlas II transfer case 3000
RuggedRidge EXO top roof rack 1400
dual battery kit 100
Smittybilt atlas front bumper 700
smittybilt atlas rear bumper with jerry can holder 700
Painless accessory wiring kit 400
Warn 12000 lb winch 1500
Icom ham radio 300
Bearcat cb 140
Hutchinson wheels x6 2400
BF Goodrich AT Tires x6 1500
lighting all around vehicle KC lights 400
Tricked Out hard core indestructible JKU $58,570.00

MSRP Mercedes G wagon no mods $120,000.00
MSRP Land Cruiser U.S. No mods $84,000.00

kojackJKU

Autism Family Travellers!
BUUUUUTTTTTT you wont have the tri star luxury inside. However I agree 1000000000%. besides, My jeep as it sits now will go anywhere the other two will and at a fraction of the 58,000 dollar bill you have accumulated.

Mitch502

Explorer
Interesting. Assuming you do all your own work (I think most of us do 90% of it ourselves if not 100%) this is awesome to see. I'm going to say by the time it's said and done, add 10% for random items like fluids and stuff, but you're still no where close to the others.

marktutone

Adventurer
One thing about the above list is that all of these parts are plug and play designed for the JK. If you were to order the parts today you would receive them by next Friday. If you did not like the companies chosen there are at least 5 others that you can choose from. There are major distributors of all things Jeep on every continent.

Alphonse

Observer
Love your list but the Tera 60 axles would not be on the ultimate Jk. Should have a floating and low pinion rear axle so switch your axles to Mopar Ultimate 60's come in cheaper by $3k and stronger.

Oh geeze just saw you also have Smittybuilt and Rugged Ridge parts on that list too. Cmon man, lol

MTSN

Explorer
It's no secret the JK is far cheaper than the Land Cruiser and G Wagon, but it's also no secret those vehicles aren't even remotely aimed at the JK crowd. You could also say that a new (quite expensive actually) KTM dirtbike is a much better off road vehicle than any of those as well, but that would be missing the point as well. There is a reason why people want a G Wagon and a Land Cruiser, and it is most certainly not to throw 37" tires on it and go rock crawling.

BigDaveZJ

Adventurer
I was reading a trip report and the person described the JK as light weight compared to the G Wagon

2016 Mercedes-Benz G-Class/Curb weight 5,724 lbs

2016 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sahara/Curb weight 4,397 lbs

Seems to me the guy was right???

BigDaveZJ

Adventurer
It's no secret the JK is far cheaper than the Land Cruiser and G Wagon, but it's also no secret those vehicles aren't even remotely aimed at the JK crowd.

Plenty of people in JK's want people to think they're in a G Wagon though. The number of otherwise stock JK's on >20" wheels I see in Highlands Ranch is ridiculous.

Tombstone17

Observer
I see a mistake on your list the cost here in low Cal would be 37,000.00 not 27,000. And do you always use two spares? I am partial to the Old Man Emu systems,and I didn't see any skid plates, and 400.00 is to low for KC lights Just some of the items you might look at. The thing is try going out and work from there before you plunk down some serious coin on some things you really don't need.go to some meets and check out some other rigs a you might make changes to your list just trying to speak from experience.

PKayser

....or buy a rubi and drive it as it is. If your feeling really frisky, put a winch plate and winch on it.

I love my JK, but I prefer my wife Range Rover when we're driving any distance. Having conversations on the freeway without shouting is kind of nice.

marktutone

Adventurer
Love your list but the Tera 60 axles would not be on the ultimate Jk. Should have a floating and low pinion rear axle so switch your axles to Mopar Ultimate 60's come in cheaper by $3k and stronger.

Oh geeze just saw you also have Smittybuilt and Rugged Ridge parts on that list too. Cmon man, lol

Nothing wrong with Smittybuilt and Rugged Ridge. The Rugged Ridge exo top in very innovative and practical as is the atlas bumper with built in jerry can holders.
I went ahead and fabricated my bumpers and rock rails. In the near future I am going to make a roof rack. Here is a picture of my front bumper bumpf.jpg

marktutone

Adventurer
....or buy a rubi and drive it as it is. If your feeling really frisky, put a winch plate and winch on it.

I love my JK, but I prefer my wife Range Rover when we're driving any distance. Having conversations on the freeway without shouting is kind of nice.

I take my Jeep JK sport with a soft top on every trip we make. I have never had to shout on the freeway. You must have loud mud tires. We could take my wife's 1997 TLC but we have more fun Jeeping.View attachment 336547

marktutone

Adventurer
It's no secret the JK is far cheaper than the Land Cruiser and G Wagon, but it's also no secret those vehicles aren't even remotely aimed at the JK crowd. You could also say that a new (quite expensive actually) KTM dirtbike is a much better off road vehicle than any of those as well, but that would be missing the point as well. There is a reason why people want a G Wagon and a Land Cruiser, and it is most certainly not to throw 37" tires on it and go rock crawling.

Actually I am not missing the point. The Jeep JK is an excellent overland vehicle. Most Jeeps do not rock crawl. Part of the fun of overlanding for me is the vehicle build. Building the most reliable most capable vehicle with many utilitarian features. I believe overlanders who purchase G Wagons and TLC's have the same motive in mind. Now if you have money to burn and you just want to throw money at something then a new TLC or G Wagon is for you.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mitch Bears