Food For Thought | Be Proud Of Your Jeep Purchase

marktutone

Adventurer
I see a mistake on your list the cost here in low Cal would be 37,000.00 not 27,000. And do you always use two spares? I am partial to the Old Man Emu systems,and I didn't see any skid plates, and 400.00 is to low for KC lights Just some of the items you might look at. The thing is try going out and work from there before you plunk down some serious coin on some things you really don't need.go to some meets and check out some other rigs a you might make changes to your list just trying to speak from experience.

It is 27000 for a stripped JKU. Yes I put two spares because many Australian guys read this forum and they like two spares. As far as parts are concerned I just made a list. There is probably 100 ways you could configure the ultimate JK with about the same results.

marktutone

Adventurer
Love your list but the Tera 60 axles would not be on the ultimate Jk. Should have a floating and low pinion rear axle so switch your axles to Mopar Ultimate 60's come in cheaper by $3k and stronger.

Oh geeze just saw you also have Smittybuilt and Rugged Ridge parts on that list too. Cmon man, lol

The Tera 60's look more precision made. I don't know if they really are.

MTSN

Explorer
Actually I am not missing the point. The Jeep JK is an excellent overland vehicle. Most Jeeps do not rock crawl. Part of the fun of overlanding for me is the vehicle build. Building the most reliable most capable vehicle with many utilitarian features. I believe overlanders who purchase G Wagons and TLC's have the same motive in mind. Now if you have money to burn and you just want to throw money at something then a new TLC or G Wagon is for you.

You are missing the point if you think guys in the US are buying brand new G Wagons and Land Cruisers for overland vehicles or taking them off road at all. Sure some guys buy them used for that reason, but then your comparison doesn't work any more because you can easily pick up a nice used Land Cruiser or an older G Wagon for under $50k which compares to a new stock JKUR. No one is disagreeing with you that a JK is a great vehicle (I have one and I've had Land Cruisers in the past), but comparing a stripped down $27k JKU sport built for crawling with $85k+ luxury SUVs doesn't make any sense.

MagicMtnDan

2020 JT Rubicon Launch Edition & 2021 F350 6.7L
You are missing the point if you think guys in the US are buying brand new G Wagons and Land Cruisers for overland vehicles or taking them off road at all. Sure some guys buy them used for that reason, but then your comparison doesn't work any more because you can easily pick up a nice used Land Cruiser or an older G Wagon for under $50k which compares to a new stock JKUR. No one is disagreeing with you that a JK is a great vehicle (I have one and I've had Land Cruisers in the past), but comparing a stripped down $27k JKU sport built for crawling with $85k+ luxury SUVs doesn't make any sense.

Actually, and with respect, I think you're missing the point of the OP's post. Completely.

MTSN

Explorer
Actually, and with respect, I think you're missing the point of the OP's post. Completely.

I'm honestly trying to understand the point, so please explain how I'm missing it. I've said a couple times I don't understand how a base level JKU with parts added compares to vehicles costing much more, but if I'm "wrong" I'm all ears.

marktutone

Adventurer
I'm honestly trying to understand the point, so please explain how I'm missing it. I've said a couple times I don't understand how a base level JKU with parts added compares to vehicles costing much more, but if I'm "wrong" I'm all ears.

If you are driving a purpose built vehicle for the purpose of overlanding/off roading/exotic camping in remote areas they are very much comparable. The preferred G Wagon for overlanders is the Professional which has zero luxury built in. The platforms of the JKU and the G Wagon are very much comparable. The G Wagon is a hardcore vehicle and you pay for that ability. What I am trying to say is that you can build up a bottom end JKU to have the same strengths and more as the G Wagon. I really should not put the new TLC's into this comparison as I personally think they are big marshmallows now.

Piekepuk

European $0,02

A little envie on American prices from a Dutch fellow offroader.
A JK unlimited costs about 100.000 euro, which equals 110.000 USD .
That means that the 2010's are the youngest affordable JK's.
I paid 33000 euro's for a five year old 35000 miles JKR.
And another 20.000 euro for duratrac tires, 2" ProComp/OME lift, Luna Dual battery system, Frontrunner rack, Warn bumpers/tire carrier, Warn xeon platinum winch, Visionx lighting, LED headlights, alarm, AEV snorkel, Cobra CB, ARB drawers, long ranger extra fuel tank, Asfir underbody protection and some small accessories.

Still superhappy with my rig. Here it is next to my wife's TJ.

Cheers,

Bart

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    520 KB · Views: 22

sabconsulting

For overlanding, payload is very important. Could this have been what was meant by lightweight? When travelling in developed countries regular fuel and water supply is not a problem, but in the developing world and remove regions you may be overlanding through you may need to carry plenty of both. Plus food, spares, camping equipment, etc.

Steve.

EMrider

Explorer
I think the point of the OP is that the JK platform offers a high performance to price ratio versus others.

In my case, I lack the time and skill to do major modifications. But even adding $10k for a pro installer, still leaves the JK well below the price of a G Wagen or new TLC.

As mentioned, my guess is that the JK's weak spot is cargo capacity.

R

marktutone

Adventurer
And another 20.000 euro for duratrac tires, 2" ProComp/OME lift, Luna Dual battery system, Frontrunner rack, Warn bumpers/tire carrier, Warn xeon platinum winch, Visionx lighting, LED headlights, alarm, AEV snorkel, Cobra CB, ARB drawers, long ranger extra fuel tank, Asfir underbody protection and some small accessories.

Cheers,

Bart
Wow I am glad I live in the U.S. Great looking Jeeps.

marktutone

Adventurer
For overlanding, payload is very important. Could this have been what was meant by lightweight? When travelling in developed countries regular fuel and water supply is not a problem, but in the developing world and remove regions you may be overlanding through you may need to carry plenty of both. Plus food, spares, camping equipment, etc.

Steve.
I am sure that is what he meant exactly. It was Scott Brady. He is on a trip now last I saw on facebook. For the heavier payload you need larger axles and brakes. With all the upgrades I listed would increase the payload capacity considerably.

Mitch502

Explorer

Cheers,

Bart

Funny, in the US we'd kill for some diesel LC's, Jeeps, and other Toyotas/Nissans/etc. On the other side of the pond you're putting out the $$$ for a regular ol' Jeep to us!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mitch Bears