For a beginner, what should I build?

Hi folks, I am just about ready to start my 1st build and as a newbie I wanted to ask your opinions. Here is the beginning gear I am leaning toward:

1. AT Habitat topper / tent - I love the fold out space, the awing over the back of the truck, entering through the bed of the truck and how compact it is upon closing
2. Decked drawers for my gear - doesn't appear it will interfere too much with getting in and out of the bed to access the habitat
3. ARB or compatible fridge / freezer

I will mainly be a weekend camper, with maybe 1-2 short overland trips a year lasting a week to ten days max. I am not a crazy off roader, but I want to be able to do some modest off road travel without trouble. I doubt I'd ever be doing anything more than forest and fire roads, occasional sandy terrain and desert driving, etc.

I also have not settled on a truck yet but I think I am down to the following:

1. f-150 4dr - I am very familiar with Ford and have owned two f-150 already.
2. Dodge Ram 1500 - not familiar with Dodge but I like the packages AEV has created for the Ram such as the American Expedition Vehicle Recruit package. If I even would need that level of modification that is since I don't plan to go into terrain that is too crazy.
3. Chevy Colorado - I like the compact size, and it is cheaper, plus it seems to be starting to rival the Tacoma in the last couple years

As a side note, I love the Tacoma, except for the fact it does not have an AWD setting on the 4wd switch. I live in MI with a lot of slippery roads that alternate between dry / wet / snowy / icy and on any given day if i have 4x4 turned on all i need to do is go around a dry curve and i can feel the axles binding up so the AWD option is nice and sadly Tacoma does not have it. I had both a Wrangler and my current f150, neither with an AWD setting, and I'd have to lock in 4x4 to get out of my driveway in winter, then immediately hit a dry paved road and have the axles start to bind up, etc. I found myself always shifting between 4x4 and 2wd while driving.

My wife on the other hand has an expedition with an AWD setting and for 90% of winter driving we just set it and forget it. when I need to lock in the 4x4 then I can turn the knob again. After doing a lot of research one of the things I like about the 3 potential choices is that each is available with the AWD setting on the 4x4 knob.

Sorry for the long post folks but those are the items on my mind and I'll take whatever you have and go easy on me please I am a newbie - lol.

1. camper / habitat
2. drawer storage
3. freezer / fridge
4. choice of truck, full size or mid size

Austo

Observer
I've always been a Toyota person but I do really like the Colorado. I don't have a lot of seat time but it's a great truck and AEV also makes products for them :)

Cyph86

My thoughts get caught up on you talking about axle binding. The only noticeable thing with 4x4 on should be a slightly wider turn radius and that bounce at full turn.(which is the joints binding/ speeding up and slowing down unless its cvs). I can drive my truck on a hot summer day in so cal with 4x4 locked in and not notice hardly any difference. There may be something else at work here. But i digress. Welcome! Do extensive research on all your truck candidates so you know you will be happy. My only advice besides that is dont be pushed into spending tons of money on all the "standard" overland gear. There is always a cheaper and just as good route. Especially diy items. There are tons of threads here on big budget builds but, just as many lower buck builds that are just as cool and functional.

marshal

Burrito Enthusiast
sounds like you need a raptor if you want AWD.

You're listing work trucks, with part-time 4wd - not tailored vehicles.

js9234

Observer
What is your budget? Do you need a full size? For midsize the ZR2 Colorado and Tacoma TRD are nice, the Frontier Pro4X is cheapest and the Ranger's coming out soon but will lack aftermarket support for a little while. All 5 full size trucks have offroad packages and can't go wrong with any of them. I prefer the Ram 3500 with a Cummins for the straight axle and the Cummins. Depends on your needs, wants, and budget.

What is your budget? Do you need a full size? For midsize the ZR2 Colorado and Tacoma TRD are nice, the Frontier Pro4X is cheapest and the Ranger's coming out soon but will lack aftermarket support for a little while. All 5 full size trucks have offroad packages and can't go wrong with any of them. I prefer the Ram 3500 with a Cummins for the straight axle and the Cummins. Depends on your needs, wants, and budget.

Thanks for the reply!

My wife and I have a different idea on the budget - lol and I hope she doesn't see this post just yet. I am taking her to Overland Expo East in a few weeks and my hope is she will see the pure common sense of this "investment" after being around people that get really excited about this stuff! My thinking is probably total investment of $75k, because I already have more than half of that amount between money set aside and trade in on my current truck.

The only reason I haven't considered going larger than an f-150 or a Ram 1500 is because I didn't think either one came with the AWD position for normal around town winter driving. f-150 Lariat and above have 2wd, AWD, 4 high and 4 low. the 250 and up loses the AWD position, or so the dealer told me. I thought it was the same on the ram 2500 and up. That's another reason I am looking at the colorado over the tacoma. The colorado is the only smaller truck I know that also offers 2wd, AWD, 4high and 4 low.

I actually have an f-150 already I like a lot, the XL with the STX package, but it only has 2h, 4h, and 4l. I put it in 4h in the winter and as soon as i start taking right angle turns or pull into a parking space i can feel the front axle starting to bind up a little. My wife's expedition however, we put it in AWD mode and run it all winter without any issues. I only had to lock it in to 4 low one time all year.

workerdrone

Part time fulltimer
Never occurred to me that anyone would need AWD over 4wd - I get what you're saying about the winter driving, but since you already have an F150 you like, what about a set of dedicated snow tires for it, then you'd be fine 90% of time in 2wd and can engage the front if you really need it.

I ran Blizzaks on fwd cars for years in the Northeast and simply never felt any need for 4wd. And a set lasts for years if you only throw them on for the winter months.

XJLI

Adventurer
The AWD function is great for the "when the wife drives it" days. A couple times my wife has taken my truck and there is a bit of snow I just put it in auto 4wd before she takes it. She doesn't have to worry about shifting or whatever.

Buliwyf

Viking with a Hammer
An F150 or larger should rarely need 4wd on the street in snow. I'd skip the AWD wants, and instead go towards much better tires. I'm in Ohio. I went all of last year without needing 4wd in the snow, except for a few icy hills. I generally recommend Cooper ST Maxx and STT's. I don't mind switching back and forth, 4wd/2wd, as needed.

I don't think that AWD is a worthwhile deal breaker for any truck you may be interested in. In fact, depending on the type of AWD, I'd recommend against it for needless complexity. I hate the fake AWD systems that just switch in and out of part time 4wd for you. AWD, IMO, requires a center diff or viscous coupler,, otherwise it's just a goofy part time POS.

Light binding in the heavier Dodge, Ford, trucks, really isn't a big deal. If it hops, or you really feel the steering get stiff, that's bad. I often have to use 4wd on pavement, like construction sites. I got blocked in at a Fire department yesterday. They stretched out their hoses while I was working. I had to hop a brand new curb, sidewalk, and some kind of decorative stairs. When switched to 2wd, I had to reverse for 3 feet because I exited the "stairs" with a slight turn, and bound up the 4wd so much it was stuck in 4wd.

You can also reduce binding by gassing it to create some front/rear slip in the snow. Not really the best idea in a 150 or less.

Todd n Natalie

OverCamper
If you like the AWD feature in the Colorado, the Sierra / Silverado also come with Auto-Trac. So you can have that feature on a half ton truck. I've owned a few GM trucks / SUV's with auto-trac and I usually left them on that setting all winter long. (Here that's about 8 months out of the year....)

On F-150's the Lariat and higher trims also have an Auto 4x4 setting. I do not have the auto 4x4 function on my F-150 but I find the Goodyear Wrangler Duratracs and some weight in the bed help.

Martinjmpr

Wiffleball Batter
Just to be clear, the Ram and Chevy don't have a true "AWD" position. What they have is "automatic 4wd" which is kind of a half-assed version of AWD. My Suburban has it, too, but it's not true AWD since it doesn't kick in until it detects the rear wheels spinning. Still, it's better than having to shift back and forth between 4wd and 2wd when on an intermittently icy road.

I agree that for intermittently icy/snowy roads it's a nice feature and one I like to have as well. Not all trim levels of the Ram have the auto 4wd feature so make sure you check. IIRC the base models (including the Rebel) do not have the Auto 4wd position on the transfer case buttons. I think you have to get the Bighorn or Laramie package in order to get that feature.

WRT Ford, they offer so many transfer case combos and they don't seem to be tied to the trim level. Just from online shopping I've seen base models with locking rear diff, FX4 models without locking diff, etc. I have seen some F-150's with both the locking diff AND the Auto 4wd position, but that's a pretty rare combo and typically comes on a loaded-up model with the 3.5 Ecoboost.

All GM 1/2 ton trucks have the auto 4wd position, I think even the 3/4 ton ones have it (though not 100% sure on that.) Niether Ford nor Ram have the Auto 4wd on their 3/4 ton trucks.

workerdrone

Part time fulltimer
Another note - I don't care how good your 4wd or AWD system is, real dedicated snow tires can make a huge difference in winter stopping distance and turning / swerving control. Seems most of the vehicles I see wiped out in the ditch are the people who buy a 4/AWD and then think they're invincible and continue to drive dry road speeds on their "all season" rubber

Last edited:

Buliwyf

Viking with a Hammer
Or at least "snowflake" rated tires.

In Ohio, winter specific tires better have clear cut, well defined, circumferential grooves. Otherwise they'll be terrible in slush.

This Nokian is a fair example of a tire with good Canada reviews, that's useless in the snow belt:
nokian-hakkapeliitta-9-studded.jpg

This tread pattern (at least) is far better:
cooperdiscoverer.jpg

Note the two straight grooves, and two zig zags. 4 straight grooves are best for control. Zig zagging 2 of them cost's some stability, but adds forward traction. Avoid snow tires with just 2 grooves, or worse: only 2 zig zags. I just run winter rated MT's or hybrids, year round.

Martinjmpr

Wiffleball Batter
^^^ I had Coopers like that on some of my vehicles (including my 2wd Ranger) and they did great. Very good in snow. Pretty reasonably priced for a name-brand tire, too.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taunger